Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 07-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
one of the best if not very usual sounds i've ever heard was an i16 at Duxford 2 years ago.

kinda sounds like its chewing itself apart!
Ash62 = M25
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

A little-known fact about the Real Life Mark I & II Spitfires of 1940 Battle of Britain fame is that the pilots could slide the canopy back at any speed to listen for enemy a/c sneaking up from behind. The 109's couldn't do this because of their inferior side-opening canopy design. The Cliffs of Dover sim models this perfectly. I can't put my hands on any documentation of this, but I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
A little-known fact about the Real Life Mark I & II Spitfires of 1940 Battle of Britain fame is that the pilots could slide the canopy back at any speed to listen for enemy a/c sneaking up from behind. The 109's couldn't do this because of their inferior side-opening canopy design. The Cliffs of Dover sim models this perfectly. I can't put my hands on any documentation of this, but I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.
Undoubtably. This would prove an adequate defense even against the Sea Furies, whose characteristic loud motors would give them away from about 2 kilometers.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

This thread will be locked in time, I garentee it!

However whilst its still open, I'd like to point out the following:

THere is a difference to what a pilot wrote in a book years after an event and science fact. Im not saying any of the pilots were lying! I am saying somethings that they remembered as a first hand witness might not have been actually what was happening. Fear, adrenaline, perspective, where it was viewed from and many other things go into a memory. So without actual figures from instrument recorded flights then unfortunatley all pilot accounts are "hearsay".
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
I hope not, so far it has remained light hearted, for more than 20 replies! this seems to me to be quite unusual at the moment!

Quote:
THere is a difference to what a pilot wrote in a book years after an event and science fact. Im not saying any of the pilots were lying! I am saying somethings that they remembered as a first hand witness might not have been actually what was happening. Fear, adrenaline, perspective, where it was viewed from and many other things go into a memory. So without actual figures from instrument recorded flights then unfortunatley all pilot accounts are "hearsay".
I see your valid point and raise you a further consideration:

In the absence of the scientific information (which can also be flawed depending on the controls of the tests etc.) the best that can be done is a meta analysis of these first hand anecdotal accounts. the mean results of the combined whole of these accounts will be more accurate than any individual account, and if that is all that there is to go on, then we should go with that IMHO.

Regards,
Sam.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
So without actual figures from instrument recorded flights then unfortunatley all pilot accounts are "hearsay".
Rubbish, although what you said has to be taken into account, to ignore first hand evidence as hearsay completely is ridiculous imo.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

However whilst its still open, I'd like to point out the following:

Ver very weak argument, the recall of these guys is way more than just skewed perspectives, these are memories forged from life or death scenarios, they would have analysed and recounted them over and over as young men and would have remained as lucid as their menory of a first love.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

No wonder Galland asked for a squadron of Spitfires...
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfürst;
4, Again in connection, he 'forgot' to mention the fact that the DB 601 had an option to overrev the engine above FTH and increase engine power, a practice used and described by Steinhilper in his book, who he as usual selectively qoutes enthusiastically to prove that the Emils propeller was 'troublesome'
overrev option: +15km/h above FTH
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

@Seadog : this graph is highly controversial... but you know that alrdy