Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Approved Member

Still, this means at least that the trees will have to be modeled with a TRUNK and then the 4 sided leaves (top area) so that means 4 triangles plus at least another three triangles for the trunk. Considering that it has no 'bounding boxes' for collision detetcion thats still 4x3=12 polygons per tree X thousands. If you make the tree TRUNK as a SINGLE polygon that ORIENTS to the camera this means 5 polygons per tree, thats still alot to render for most graphic cards.

As for the crater effect they just used texture maps mapped to flat polygons for most effect in this game including smoke and clouds, they just either is animated and moved to create an moving effect. The crate effect itself could just be texture serial replacement.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb

A more efficient approach:

How about giving the forest area a damage effect like we have in water (and maybe slightly modified variables for a different effect)

Imagine it.

Softly landing on trees will give an effect like getting stuck in the trees, and then slowly going downward (trough trees, breaking them due to weight) until you reach ground (Il2 water already does this). You can maybe bail out of your plane like you can in water.

Smacking into trees at high speed gives you explosion like in water.

Wingtip touching trees will cause that wing to get break off like in water (or edit some properties from what we have now in Il2, to cause damage instead of total break off of the wing or whatever body part that is in contact with trees [virtually Il2 water])

Have sparks and twigs and leaves flying instead of ripples in water, obviously. Hmm I'm trying to imagine the sound from cockpit

It seems like the simplest solution to me. Basically forest areas will be like water, with raised altitude.

What do you guys think?

- Bengal

Last edited by BENGALtiger; 03-29-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Approved Member

Water is treated like the ground (treated Z and Y axis only even with height field displacement) so I think that depends on the vector computations as well as geometry axis displacement. Since trees cannot be treated like a 'single complete surface' (it has X,Y and Z 'depth' dimensions) since it has dimensions, the problem is much more complex with trees if it is desired to have this interactivity.

Don't get me wrong I want to see this too but I am practical too since I know what would BOG down the resources in the game. I would rather have all tehse extra polygons in the plane for detailed damage modeling rather than being used for trees.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Approved Member

My original thought was that the game use two types of tree models....one type of tree model would be used in areas where a aeroplane might predictably collide with it (like at the end of an airstrips). The other type of tree model would be used in thick dense forest areas. The first type of tree model would have a detailed damage model and a high level of visible detail. This type of tree model would be used in a "limited" fashion. The second type of tree model would be simpler and less cpu intense. This tree model would be used to cover large forested areas...

HAS ANYONE studied the trees that are visible in the "BoB SoW" video clip that came on the bonus DVD in the "IL2 1946" box? I wonder if their are any clues in their that might help determine the technique used to model the forests....

I can't help but think about the 3D grass right now....

Last edited by proton45; 03-30-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENGALtiger View Post
A more efficient approach:
Softly landing on trees will give an effect like getting stuck in the trees, and then slowly going downward (trough trees, breaking them due to weight) until you reach ground (Il2 water already does this). You can maybe bail out of your plane like you can in water.

Smacking into trees at high speed gives you explosion like in water.

Wingtip touching trees will cause that wing to get break off like in water (or edit some properties from what we have now in Il2, to cause damage instead of total break off of the wing or whatever body part that is in contact with trees [virtually Il2 water])

Have sparks and twigs and leaves flying instead of ripples in water, obviously. Hmm I'm trying to imagine the sound from cockpit
Nice effects You are describing BENGALtiger. I belive that the forests and trees are the most neglected objects in to the current simulator. But with new CPU, and Olegs determination to rule the world of aircraft simulation in to the next 20 years, we will be granted with marvellous aircrafts and the world for them to fly.

Cheers!

Bg-09