Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
You missed the initial post? Like I said, Star Wars the Old Republic one of the most hyped and expensive games has ever been done with a budget that is probably about 100 times bigger than CloD. It was released in december 2011, without working AA, and it's still not working but the devs "are working on it for a patch real soon, like in two weeks"
So how does this company getting it wrong absolve 1C of their mistake/failure to release this part of the sim in a functioning form?

Its like accidentally running over a hooker, and then telling the cops hey its alright, my rich neighbors freezer is FULL of dead hookers, so I'm good.

Or something like that....
Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
So how does this company getting it wrong absolve 1C of their mistake/failure to release this part of the sim in a functioning form?

Its like accidentally running over a hooker, and then telling the cops hey its alright, my rich neighbors freezer is FULL of dead hookers, so I'm good.

+1

LOL reminds me of the calibrate your monitor scam over the gaudy graphics that 1C fixed.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
To the mod that edited my post.

What was wrong with the language in my post and what whining are you talking about?

The original poster was straight up trolling. Wasn't trolling against the rules?
So why didn't you just kill the thread instead of fishing in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
I just tried it. It's not bad. Thanks.

I was using the FXAA, but online is not that good, because it blurs all the dots. It's hard already to spot planes at longer ranges and that post processing blurs the dots too much. So I wasn't using it online.

Yours looks like it should work online. It still has some jaggies here and there, but it's way better then nothing.

This thread was simply bait for the mods to have a field day with the "corrective actions". It's obvious people would argue about this. Just because some game on this entire market was released without working AA, it doesn't makes it right.

The thread serves a purpose and is not trolling as you suggest but putting a fair point across and consequentially useful information that you yourself have seen fit to use and have good results in CoD.

The fact is you posted in here in an aggressive manner and the post was edited.

No ones arguing about it in here only you.

Now go back and delete your posts that have no use in here before the infraction system kicks in please. (this post will be deleted once that's done)

I suggest to all that instead of knee jerk reaction posting you actually read the information on this forum for your own benefit.

Your too quick to start wailing and whining and accuse others.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...859#post387859

Remember were here to help ALL forum members have a pleasant visit and interaction here.

Thanks.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-05-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFCW_Urizen View Post
Crysis had AA implemented but not AF . Don´t know about Crysis 2 though, haven´t played it in a while . To me AF is more important than AA, because i got the feeling that with TFTs, AA got more and more useless, especially with very high dpi. AF on the other hand...
Crysis sorta has msaa, but not on things like vegetation. They actually used a hybrid solution where there is a post-aa effect on some things. Crysis 2 is even weirder - it uses temporal aa on far away objects, and something sorta like smaa on nearby objects. As for AF - it doesn't work with their implementation of parallax mapping, and almost everything on the ground uses parallax. I think it does work if you turn off parallax mapping though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post

Because getting true AA working with a deferred rendering pipeline is very, very difficult - and some of the greatest programmers working in real time 3d haven't been able to figure out how.

But hey, maybe you can figure out how!

Last edited by Liz Lemon; 02-05-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Approved Member

I managed to force AA with Nvidia fine with minimal to no FPS loss.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
Because getting true AA working with a deferred rendering pipeline is very, very difficult - and some of the greatest programmers working in real time 3d haven't been able to figure out how.
Yes, now it is much more difficult than 10 years ago.
Quote:
One more rather important disadvantage is that, due to separating the lighting stage from the geometric stage, hardware anti-aliasing does not produce correct results any more: although the first pass used when rendering the basic properties (diffuse, normal etc.) can use anti-aliasing, it's not until full lighting has been applied that anti-alias is needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_shading

Sadly not everyone makes his research before posting which makes some posts look like ignorant speculations aimed to insult developers.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailantd View Post
Ok, here we go with some 3d history that can help you to understand the state in the 3d industry about AA.

AA was introduced some years ago in the fixed pipeline as a hardware/driver feature, so developers just needed to tell the GPU to activate it and the GPU did all the work. You even could activate or deactivate it from your GPU driver configuration. That is how fixed pipeline engines worked and still works. Of course in fixed pipeline engines developers are limited to what drivers and hardware can do (no great fX or effects, only common and standard things). Now we have non fixed pipeline engines, wich works with shaders, where developers can (and have to!) control all about the rendering process, which is extremely more complicated and time consuming, but we can have bump mapping, nice reflections and plenty of other nice FX, only limited by imagination, hardware processing time and time to develop and optimice it. Important thing is that now all is coded by developers, including AA. In this kind of egines AA is no more automatic and need to be manually coded as post process filter over the whole image. Thats why even if you turn on AA in drivers configuration in no fixed pipeline engines it do nothing. Hardware do no calculate it automatically anymore, not AA, not anything. Coding AA filter shader is not easy if you want it to be efficient and not blurring all the image. You need to identificate manually all edges and so on... So give devs a break, things are not easy anymore as we ask for more fx and eyecandy. It can be done, but need time if you also want a lot of fps.
Thank you for detailed explanation!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
machoo

AA is for plebs. Buy a bigger video card , buy a "27+ monitor , and you wont need AA.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchon View Post
Anyway if you are able to use FSAA ( Fixed pipeline AA ) it will crop your FPS a 20% or 30%, making the game unplayable in some systems, because is a hardware demanding AA technique.

Even so Luthier said that it will be implemented but guess that it will not very soon, remember that they are currently rewriting the graphic engine so it needs get working before add things.

You guys should try until then my post-process SMAA configuration :

It is not perfect so you will see some jaggies here and there under some circumstances but have no frame rate impact at all and does a high quality AA without blurring everything.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...99&postcount=5

+ 1/Thanks for that one. Excellent job with a real good tweak to CLOD. I just change my standard to yours, because it work great for me. Great improve.

~S~
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
Crysis sorta has msaa, but not on things like vegetation. They actually used a hybrid solution where there is a post-aa effect on some things. Crysis 2 is even weirder - it uses temporal aa on far away objects, and something sorta like smaa on nearby objects. As for AF - it doesn't work with their implementation of parallax mapping, and almost everything on the ground uses parallax. I think it does work if you turn off parallax mapping though.
MSAA doesn´t work and has never worked with alpha channels. It only works on geometry, that is why there was Transparency-AA (NVidia) or Adaptive-AA (ATi) introduced.

Actually i´m starting to lose track of all the different AA techniques, temporal AA? SMAA? phew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
The devs need to continue to tweak the FM balance until there is equal amount of whining from both sides.
Closed Thread