Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

The 6dof feels like the best thing to have happened to il2 since it came out. When an enemy moves behind the broad girders of my Bf109 canopy, instead of losing him, I simply move my head a few inches and keep him in sight. So simple, but it's a beautiful and wondrous thing

I don't even have TIR, but using the mouse to look and a hat-switch for the head movement works perfectly. The new eye-position camera movement is a great improvement on it's own, and feels more natural than the old version.

The new AI routines are brilliant, enough said.

Using Static Aircraft as spawn-points, and leaving your aircraft where you park it - fantastic ideas, I never would have imagined that to be possible. I don't suppose there is any way to use custom skins on the statics?

The option to only allow externals while you are on the ground is very welcome, and I'm sure many will say long overdue, though now we have 6dof, it's perhaps less necessary than it used to be Personally I'd like to allow the F8 view as well as the F2, as in F2 it can be a little awkward (for those without rudder pedals) to keep the view behind your plane with one hand while handling the throttle and steering with the other.

Overall, superb and then some. I thank all of you who have put so much time and effort into it!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Approved Member

I haven't downloaded or tried it out yet, but so far all of my friends' comments in HyperLobby have been VERY positive. Sounds like a very good release by TD!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

As a guy who enjoys air racing & bombing & anything with big guns, the new patch is just pure awesomeness. The old 'overheat fot a certain time-cool until normal-overheat-repeat' thing was getting a bit boring in the racing, but now the engines really work (and sometimes don't work) like they should. The ambient temperature is a huge deal now, on Gulf of Finland winter map no-one was able to break the engine at high speed, but on the moderate Slovakia Summer map, it was a spectacular show of splashing oil, boiling water and jammed pistons!

And then the new planes... the Pe-8 is one of the most majestic, ugly, and brutal aircraft ever, and now it's perfectly modelled here. Same for the Il-4 & the Tse-Tse Mossie...

Haven't tried the AI yet, but from what i hear, it's great. Keep up the good work!
www.simairracing.com

"The fastest pilots of the online world..."
Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 AM
What the heck...?

A milestone has been reached with v4.11.

In pursuing an AI enemy, firing at him, and scoring hits (just a few non-critical, rifle-caliber hits), this is the first time I've ever seen AI - in any flight sim or game I've ever played - react by actually panicking and turning too hard, stalling, spinning, and recovering. I actually cheered after seeing that, thinking "Wow! I can't count how many times I reacted like that when being shot at!".

I've seen lower skill level flights of AI scatter and run when being bounced.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I've noticed the AI is no longer content with doing aerobatics in front of you in an effort to be a difficult a target as possible. Now they consistently make honest efforts to get on your tail, at all skill levels, with the corresponding levels of flying proficiency per skill level.

It's not quite perfect, as I've still seen some goofy behavior, like one lone AI pilot not immediately involved in combat, flying inverted for nearly a minute before correcting himself. Neverthless, this AI is good. They actually perform like human pilots.

TD nailed it.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
I've seen ..... one lone AI pilot not immediately involved in combat, flying inverted...
I think the AI dropped his cigarette.
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Approved Member

The had something bout that in the guide, I haven't seen it yet, but AI pilots will roll over on their back to get a look below them! Got to keep that SA up. The comment about the AI trying to attack instead of not die is spot on. Dogfights don't seem to take as long either. Things are fast and violent after the first few turns more often then not. I think this is a better representation then what we had previous. Just about every book on this fighter ace or that, the biography of Erich Hartmann being the most recent to me, will tell you that 80% of the kills they earned never knew what hit them!

I can not imagine having to do this for real within the first 40 missions or so. When I was young and started MMO flight sims, I was killed so many times in a row it was sickening. WWII did not give that opportunity, many noobs had to die in flames for the other 20% of the airforce can claim the other 70% of kills scored throughout the war. Those numbers are the USAAF in the South Pacific. The way it was written out in the book, the fighter pilots who broke the back of the Japanese air fleets had 3 kill markings on the side of his aircraft. That's the top 30%, the other 70% had 2 or less, crazy to think of.

Sorry, I ramble. That book is "Fire in the Sky: Air War over the South Pacific". Awesome read, the author slips my mind, but he wrote another book in the same vein covering the ground war in the South Pacific. I love both, great stuff!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Approved Member

Great thread should have been started a long time ago. Team Diablo have always done an awesome job. There efforts keep this Old Game flying. After installing 4.11 in a clean 4.10 I have had no problems. Great work and Thank you for all that you guys and Gals have done for the IL 2 community
Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Excellent work on 4.11, nothing more to say. However one small issue that confuses me is the ability of the IL-4 to perform several loopings without any cognizable sign of over-G, E-loss or stall (FR settings). Just open a quick mission, level the plane out to gain speed and pull the stick back. The stall recovery characteristics seem to be pretty good compared to other planes of that size as well. Perhaps someone could confirm this.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

I have another positive comment to make - the two new masking nets in the FMB are excellent, even a Fw 200 fits in under the bigger one.
Also, the red-orange neon 'MISSION COMPLETE' thing is gone, or so it seems. Anyone confirm? I'm being shot down by the new AI so often I'm not sure if I managed to 'complete' any mission so far
Old 01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

I also think that this release is one of the best ever in the IL2 history.
6dof is the best I've ever tried in any simulation...better than CLOD for me.