Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

View Poll Results: New Revi gun sight vs old.
I like the new patch Revi gun sight 35 58.33%
I like the old patch Revi gun sight 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Approved Member

Just a note on the German sights- if you find the reticule too bright, make sure you dont toggle illumination, but instead increase it. Unlike the British planes (iirc) there is a slider, so you can have brightness at about 5% at night, for example.

Last edited by GraveyardJimmy; 10-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
Thats why the German sights were predominantly off centre so the pilot could steady himself more, well that's what I've read.

But the problem we have here is that we're flying a simulator based on a 2D image (i.e. the screen image). To get same effect you would need to go to the lengths of building an actual cockpit or get those stereoscopic glasses.
Actually I think Lixma's proposed solution would be not too far off what a German pilot would have seen. For convenience I repost it here. Remember: When looking through the recticle with the right eye the right eye will see the full image of the circle (the right eye won't suddenly turn blind on its left side just because if looks through a recticle). The left eye being open will see what the left eye will see. The brain always superimposes both images and merges it to one so that as a consequence a German pilot would see the full circle over the point at which he looks with both eyes. So I think Lixma's image is quite right and would be anyway much more realistic that what we have now so implementing this would be moving in the right direction.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

That just looks funky. Honestly I don't have any problem with the current Revi. Just lean over.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Well a lot of ppl have problems with the revi. Particularly because it is unrealistic.
You consider it funky because in daily life you do not have experience with a revi. But for pilots it was not funky. And only because you do not have this experience (with all respect here dont get me wrong) it does not mean that it is wrong. It is in fact just a matter of understanding and seeing the truthfulness in it and then get used to it.

As it is currently it is
- unrealistic
- for others maybe acceptable
- for many difficult

With proposed solution it would be
- realistic
- for the many no longer difficult and still acceptable for the others as functionality would remain and even improve
- it may though look funky to some who have some difficulties understanding the concept of binocular view.

So summa summarum new proposed solution offers more advantages AND is more realistic.

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 10-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

My guess is that instead of making some kircky request we shld instead wait for devs to complete the game following their own idea. This will prevent from having a patchwork for game with some feature à la IL2 1946 and some in the path of CoD high reality standards.

Let them do what they think first.

Storm the image you posted does not fit what i see in RL. Both left and right eyes has some overlapping due to facial geo.

Where is Raaid, our expert in that field ?

Last edited by TomcatViP; 10-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

Dude, it looks like garbage.

Above all else this is a game.
Do what you will, have all sorts of great sounds, simulated controls, even simulated feeling with something like a buttkicker and trackIR, its still a simulation. trying to take the complexities of something like human vision and make it absolutely realistic is impossible, and if you try to hard it looks just like that, your trying to hard.

Oh and spare me your holier than thou attitude. You post around here like your excrement doesn't reek. "Not understanding binocular vision" buddy, I've got many, MANY years of working with optical sights for everything from pistols and rifles to mortars, Abrams and Brad's, and if you really tried to model the way it looks to the eye it would look like utter garbage in game. its getting closer and closer to asking for a solid dot in the center of the screen that never moves and is 100% accurate like the old shooters.

Trust this, I understand binocular vision, professor, I just think it will look like crap in game.

Everything in this game is a compromise to bring the real, 3d-6-senses world onto a relatively small 2d monitor. Its impossible to model everything, more than that it is folly.

The revi sits off center-as it did in the real bird.
The reticle is there, all you have to do is lean to the left, or use the gunsite view. That's what its there for.

if you are REALLY so put out by something as really truly minor as this minutiae then perhaps a sim like FSX is more up your ally?

You, and all the color gripers, are complaining about the scratches on the head of a rivet in the prop spinner when the aircraft is missing the whole tail section.

For now, if you want a centered gunsite, fly a freakin' Spitfire!
Whatever, I'm out.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

someone got really upset.

And please do not lecture me where my priorities are with respect to the game - I know them better than you - trust me.

Now you may refuse to have something that is to your eyes garbage - for others it may just look not as garbage.

Fact is current solution is not realistic and more difficult to use.

But if you have a better solution that is more realistic and easy to use just make it known to everybody. But please spare us with this "just lean to the right" I have enough experience with this "leaning to the right" that I know that it cannot be the solution. Until you bring up a more suitable solution you just sound with your negative attitude like those guys some centuries ago that also thought that the image of an Earth being actually round was looking garbage.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
You, and all the color gripers, are complaining about the scratches on the head of a rivet in the prop spinner when the aircraft is missing the whole tail section.
Game is not working but this makes my day. I'll just keep reading it till the night goes.

But Storm is right in the way that it's better if we stand with a "be constructive" attitude even if we disprove each others on some points

Last edited by TomcatViP; 10-07-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Approved Member

The point is quite simple:

We aim with one eye, on a rifle, a pistol, 125mm cannon and so did the pilots back in those days and the pilots nowadays (the leading eye, even though we have a HUD-gun-cone or something else). But in the game we play with two eyes on a 2D screen. So how do you simlute that? I have got no idea, but the difficulties to keep you head steady for a clear aim is somewhat simulated the way it is now, I think. It is not how it really is/ would be, but the sum of the difficulties are somewhat a way, I can feel aiming is more than just moving a joystick.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

The thing is, Snafu, that you do not aim with one eye (no pilot would ever close one eye) but you have both eyes open (there had been a video clip somewhere posted here that explains why it is actually better not to close the other eye when shooting with a rifle). If a pilot really would have closed one eye he would have lost all in-depth perception and it would have made it very difficult to judge distances. He then would have had a 2D vision in a 3D world.

I do believe that putting the revi slightly off-centre in German planes was not to make pilots lean right (why should they? It would have complicated the task of the fighter pilot). It simply did not matter to the pilot if it had been in the centre or right before his right eye.

I understand what you say about simulating the difficulty to have a steady aim.

However I also think that the difficulty is artificially higher in a 109 currently than in a Spit because of the way trackir works. But I think we both agree that the difficulty should be the same for both planes. BTW if simulated correctly in the game the binocular view of the recticle it would still disappear at least partially if your head shaking is too strong. This would occur when the right eye due to head movement does no longer see the full circle. This would of course have an immediate impact on the image the pilot gets.

I concede that Lixma's image is perhaps not the most ideal solution to this issue but one that comes perhaps the closest from what has been proposed. But I am open to any other proposal that might be better.

EDIT: Of course it would also still wobble due to head shaking. So you would still need to correct your head position (keeping in mind that due to trackir it is - supposing that the headshake is correctly modelled- more difficult to correct head shake than in real life due to the "gear ratio" between your head position and how it is then depicted on the screen)

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 10-08-2011 at 08:52 AM.