Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Approved Member

I really get baffled to be honest with you all. I have a mid-range PC that's two years old and it runs fine with most settings on medium, building detail on low, aircraft and land shading on high, SSAO off, grass roads and shadows on at my native 1680x1050. And i only have 3GB of RAM.

I'm not saying people with monster rigs shouldn't expect the relevant performance, i just don't know how they don't get it when a lot of people reach acceptable performance with similar or lesser PC specs.

As for my previous post, a lot of the complaints come in the nature of "i can't max it out on my two year old PC" which is just unreasonable to expect. It's these that i was referring to previously.

I don't know, seeing how it runs on my system it does give me a very optimistic attitude that it will be running fine for everyone pretty soon in flight sim terms (within the following 2-6 months i'd say).

I think this is the sim's main problem currently, it's a bit inconsistent so people can't easily draw conclusions.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

yes back dog you might be right but i do think i have a high end system but there is more .

we all saw it before in other treads is that weird CPU thing ....it run on 15% max and fore what some reason it does not make use of the processor fore the full capacity .
Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Approved Member

btw. Check that you do not have vsync ON in both game and drivers. It should be switched on only in one place. This mistake of mine killed performance for me as soon as they introduced fullscreen.

Triple buffering should be forced ON with a 3rd party utility if you use vsync or your fps would jump from 15 to 30 fps and back very often.

Also if you do not defragment after each patch the performance can reduce with every patch as files get more and more fragmented.

Try installing .net Framework 4 update 1 from March or April iirc. This game depends on .net performance. If something is wrong with it you can not help it.

The rest is in my sig (link #5).

I learned all these tricks 2-3 years ago trying to run ArmA on a 2 year old rig. And all of them mattered. It was a great adventure and a lot of fun.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

well i appreciate your help and i give all this a try ...
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
LOL. Yes, the picture is compressed in a strange way by google services as it was taken at 1680x1050 and shows only at 1 440px × 801px. Probably I should choose another one. Just have no time. And yes, I run low forest and low buildings with mip-map and textures set in drivers for quality instead of high quality.

This is not the point. The point is it is completely your choice: to have 40+ fps smooth with low settings OR to have graphics set on high with stutters OR purchase a gtx580 w/3gb vram OR wait 2 years till next-gen hardware becomes affordable for you OR play another simulator with 2 y.o. engine. You can not have it all at once.

Take responsibility, make your choices. There is no need to cry here seeking attention or pity.

Just look around: people who have adequate hardware do not have any complains
New rig - all is silk smooth... http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22821
GTX 580 1.5 GB vs. 3GB http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22692
First impressions with new rig. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22829

In 2 years you will think that this kind of hardware is too outdated and cheap for you and will ask for more features to be included into CloD to load your brand new graphics card to 50% at least.

This game is built for 2013 and to last for another 5-7 years. And you can run it silk smooth with 2011 gtx580. It sounds like a miracle to me.
^This

Change the HW recommendations to:
- Sandybrige ballpark CPU ~200$
- GTX480 or equivalent GPU ~300$
- 4GB RAM or more ~40$
- Modern Mobo ~ 90$

That or even a bit lower spec would probably deal with 99% of stutter & FPS issues excluding some cases of dual GPU setups. I wonder what percentage of simmers HW hits that ballpark on performance. If enough then the focus could turn on more improvements, content and bug hunt.

"On time of the european release we unfortunately underestimated the HW requirements and we're truly sorry for the trouble. You can find the HW recomendation for fluent gameplay above. If this change on prerequisites is a dealbreaker for you, you can get a full refund by filling the refund form."

Then deal with a few hundred refunds or whatever and move on to new things.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB68 View Post
Anyway, my rig is a little bit better than yours and for me it "works" more or less smooth too, but I'm not willing to wear sunglasses just to play IL2 CloD.....apart from some other "minor deficiencies".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2k7 View Post
come on i have a I7 950 ....and a 5970 2 gig cart and and 8 gig ram on board .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I really get baffled to be honest with you all.....I'm not saying people with monster rigs shouldn't expect the relevant performance, i just don't know how they don't get it when a lot of people reach acceptable performance with similar or lesser PC specs..
I'm just as baffled as Blackdog as I can't understand why mine runs so well. I never said my rig was the most powerful I said it runs it well, I can only recommend it. I think I'm seeing a pattern with guys that have top end rigs but are suffering, they all seem to have ATi cards.

I play the game with almost everything set on full/high, I have a CRT monitor so my native resolution is 'only' 1280x1024 (IIRC I'm not currently on it)

I'd say the only bad graphical issues I encounter, are the occasional flashing cloud and odd shadow effects on the ground. Once a week I'll have a brief stutter. All these things never will bother me and are so infrequent that they aren't worth noticing. The great graphics FM and DM far outweigh any of this.

Maybe I'm really lucky with buying the right hardware, or maybe I'm not as hard to please as some?

Last edited by xnomad; 05-20-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Approved Member

yes i heard indeed that a G-force cart is doing better jobs than ATI . still i don't want to trow away a 400 euro Video cart only because they might think it perform less in CLOD .

i keep saying it ....sound , graphic (terrain) , stutters over ground really need lots of improvement .
those patches made some changes but not a lot . dont ask me why .

the look in the cockpit is amazing and over water i don't experience any problem .

so fore now to run it smooth i stick to the water (not in it i hope) haha
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

its so strange sometime i do 60fps and on the same place suddenly it drops to 20 ...i really wounder what is going on hahaha !!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

My suspects would be: antivirus, some software autoupdate, hdd access by game, game is flashing vram (too high textures)... ...or you are using vsynk without triple buffering.

upd. Just noticed 5970 is a dual chip video card. This can be the reason for all the trouble if crossfire is not working correctly somehow in fullscreen or in general. And 1gb vram per chip is not enough to run everything maxed out as you easily get your vram filled with high-res textures.

Last edited by Ataros; 05-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

i see ...ok i have vsync off and triple buffer on , your story about crossfire is not working correctly can be right , if that is the case i need to buy a different cart ore i should wait a little fore some other patches .

because its true some time i run things on fps +-60 and than suddenly it go,s to 20 .

i never have this seen this fluctuation of fps so dramatically in not 1 fly Sim i played before .

so you might be right , i need a cart with 2 gig on 1 processor but you now what ? i didn't won the lottery hahaha .

still enjoy my dogfight,s over the water !!