Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
I really cannot believe that they created a whole new game engine in 2007 and forgot about multicore, 64bit and SLI/Crossfire, it really looks like their idea of a new engine was to drop OpenGL and add dx10.
I think it is a new engine that has been pushed out the door too early. Hopefully the next couple of patches fix the immediate problems you have listed (possibly excepting 64-bit).

Tree, what potential do you think this game has? Do you think it will be remembered as a failure or as a success with a poor start?

Last edited by jimbop; 03-27-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
I think it is a new engine that has been pushed out the door too early. Hopefully the next couple of patches fix the immediate problems you have listed (possibly excepting 64-bit).

Tree, what potential do you think this game has? Do you think it will be remembered as a failure or as a success with a poor start?
I know you are asking tree - but it seems to be a problem with basic "infastructure" more then polish. 64bit exe is 100% necessary for future work, as is Mutlithreading and DX11/10(because dx9 makes very poor use of mulitple threads). These all need to be inplace as the foundations of an engine, especially a engine that will be extensisvly expanded on.

I can see them optimizing it for dx9/single thread a bit, but it wont give them much headroom, and is not next gen, infact its last gen. Current gen is using early dx11 and dx10 tech including multicore support and some 64bit software. We dont even have this (currently).

Will have to wait and see I guess.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:

Thats a good question Jim, I guess that depends really on the Dev's, what we need now is a little bit of honesty and even some humble pie eating, this is a strong community we can acceppt mistakes and we can be patient (god knows we can be patient), but i dont think we can tolerate Bull sh it, I guess it depends on how fast we see some fixes, I would strongly urge Luthier to show us some in game footage before the epilepsy screen was added, if that runs well it will give us all some hope.

Despite what many may think of me, i do not want this game to fail, I have always been amongst a few on here who have dared to ask the awkward questions (Hecke and Heliocon being other crusaders) its cost me two bans!! The answers or non answers and constant avoidence from the Dev's over many important features have made me very suspicous, and now we can all see why. I hope they can fix it and I truly hope that this new generation will have many success's but now its purely down to them. S!

Last edited by Tree_UK; 03-27-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
64bit exe is 100% necessary for future work
+1 just to clarify my comment. If 64-bit is indeed absent (I don't have my copy yet after all) I was doubting whether 64-bit would be an initial priority (e.g. 1.01 or 1.02). Absolutely required if they truly want to turn CoD into IL2#2 with the long lifespan and expansions that entailed.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
+1 just to clarify my comment. If 64-bit is indeed absent (I don't have my copy yet after all) I was doubting whether 64-bit would be an initial priority (e.g. 1.01 or 1.02). Absolutely required if they truly want to turn CoD into IL2#2 with the long lifespan and expansions that entailed.
NP, I understand. I agree with tree that we need more dev-> community dialogue. I dont know if it is due to the language barrier but often it seems we are all flying blind.

As for 64bit, getting the mutlicore and sli/crossfire support working first is more important, since alot of people are on 64bit OS the 32bit exe of the game should be able to get to 4gb of ram since there is no old 32bit os reserve cap.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

So if i got the gist of all this... As of right now... As the game itself stands right now, there is no benifit in having a system that is running win64, is over 2gig if ram, and has, say a multi(quad) core processor??
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
So if i got the gist of all this... As of right now... As the game itself stands right now, there is no benifit in having a system that is running win64, is over 2gig if ram, and has, say a multi(quad) core processor??
That was what the OP asked...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Correct Biggs, no benefit at all.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Thats a good question Jim, I guess that depends really on the Dev's, what we need now is a little bit of honesty and even some humble pie eating, this is a strong community we can acceppt mistakes and we can be patient (god knows we can be patient), but i dont think we can tolerate Bull sh it, I guess it depends on how fast we see some fixes, I would strongly urge Luthier to show us some in game footage before the epilepsy screen was added, if that runs well it will give us all some hope.

Despite what many may think of me, i do not want this game to fail, I have always been amongst a few on here who have dared to ask the awkward questions (Hecke and Heliocon being other crusaders) its cost me two bans!! The answers or non answers and constant avoidence from the Dev's over many important features have made me very suspicous, and now we can all see why. I hope they can fix it and I truly hope that this new generation will have many success's but now its purely down to them. S!
Thanks Tree - didn't answer the question, though. What's your gut feeling about the eventual endpoint?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Thanks Tree - didn't answer the question, though. What's your gut feeling about the eventual endpoint?
I really honestly dont know mate, my gut feeling is that we have been told an untruth and this is not an entire new engine, if that is the case then we wont see multicore support, or 64bit technology or DX11 and the game will be a failure. But I hope I am wrong, we need answers and fast from Luthier.
Closed Thread