Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

Sounds of guns in the planes are pretty much spot on. Also loved the hitting sound of bullets against your own plane -- like stones thrown to a metal plate. Pretty much spot on too. They did a great job as far as I can see in the youtube videos.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
Sounds of guns in the planes are pretty much spot on. Also loved the hitting sound of bullets against your own plane -- like stones thrown to a metal plate. Pretty much spot on too. They did a great job as far as I can see in the youtube videos.
some of the gun sounds are quite good yes.

Last edited by diveplane; 03-26-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
How do you know what its supposed to sound like? Did you fly in the battle of britian? You did oh then you know what your talking about then.
we know from great videos shot on flybys and footage inside the aircraft how they sound, the game is nowhere close to the engine sounds external sounding mainly .

Last edited by diveplane; 03-26-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Approved Member

so far some of the externals on better videos dont sound too bad - if you're not sure what 109 should sound like on externals try listening to this (sorry no gunfire!!) http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKevan.../0/Xs0_R0iP7tc
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15JG52_Brauer View Post
so far some of the externals on better videos dont sound too bad - if you're not sure what 109 should sound like on externals try listening to this (sorry no gunfire!!) http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKevan.../0/Xs0_R0iP7tc
i do agree with you the internals are not to bad sounding, again its trying to capture the beautiful external audios , i have came up with a good plan to try add them into the sim hopefully it will work ok, recapture the sweet sounds ingame.

Last edited by diveplane; 03-26-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Approved Member

I heard lots of stuff through youtube and other amateur sources, and those are crappy microphones AND usually major distortion (the sound is too loud for the microphone to correctly record. It is called 'clipping'). The sounds I've heard so far in this game is what I would expect it to sound like in real life, when removing the distortion & low quality microphones. Convincing, fascinating and satisfying. They also sound pretty similar to the very few high quality recordings I have heard of a Bf 109 in flight (some audio CD recording for hardcore fans).

The guns firing should probably be kind metallic plonky. The bolts in the MG's/cannons slam hard and quickly back and forth, and since the guns are directly attached to the frame of the aircraft, the vibrations go all the way into the cockpit. Lots of cavities and hollow spaces inside for the sound to bounce around in, too. On the other hand, the loud bang from gases shooting out of the barrel, and supersonic crack of the projectiles, have to go through a thick glassed canopy and pilot flight helmet / radio. This should muffle the bang & supersonic cracks.

Last edited by MikkOwl; 03-26-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palker4 View Post
The souds suck compared to every single IL-2 1946 soundmod. Also there is one more sim that suffers from poor sounds and that is ARMA series stock vehicle sounds are just horrid
and your qualifications as to what are correct sounds for varying ww2 warbirds are?

I have heard some atrocious sound mods for Il2 so IMO your opinion is wrong.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Approved Member

I suppose the reasonable thing would be to hold judgement until I actually play the game.

I say again...it looks wonderbar
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smink1701 View Post
Yes, I did fly in the Battle of Britain and after the war played drums in a band. So...I know brownings when I hear them and a snare drum. COD guns sound like a snare drum. My Spit sounded like machine guns when I fingered the firing button. Anything else I can clarify for you...dolt!
What's it like to be a time traveler?

Quote:
Oleg,

Looks really great. I have loved everything about WW2 fighters since I saw my first one...probably a P-40 with shark markings when I was a kid. My dream to actually fly these planes has come true partly due to the efforts of you and your team. Thanks for all your amazing work and for making this 53 year old kid's dreams come true. I'm sure the finished game will be awsome.
OR A LIARRRRRRRRRRRR!

Last edited by speculum jockey; 03-26-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes, I did fly in the Battle of Britain and after the war played drums in a band. So...I know brownings when I hear them and a snare drum. COD guns sound like a snare drum. My Spit sounded like machine guns when I fingered the firing button. Anything else I can clarify for you...dolt!
Oh what a coincidence I also flew in the Battle of Britain and played drums in a band. In fact I usually brought my drum-kit into the cockpit and practiced during dogfights. That's just how I roll. I have to say I would sometimes hit my snare as 109s would fire their 20 mm at me and they sounded nothing alike. But of course I haven't flown a 109 personally. Oh except that one time I did, but that's another story.