Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

IMHO:
SCW!
Poland
France
And a forgotten campaign in sims...Bomber command vs. Nachtjagers!

Bombing smurfs since a long time ago...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

I was watching the series Battle of Britain in 6 parts the other night.

One thing that really rings a bell. They were interviewing one of the RAF pilot veterans. He basically said the .303 in the spits and hurricanes were pea-shooters next to the guns in the German aircraft.

We are all very accustomed to some darn good firepower after 10 years with the IL2. I'm seriously wondering how people are going to respond to pea-shooters.

Now... just how long was it before the Spit got some firepower? I'd say that will probably be the trigger for the time frame we'll be looking at for the second addon. I say that because Oleg will probably want to use all aircraft he designs throughout the lifetime of the sim.

I've enjoyed the BOB II WOV for several years. You have had to get in close and tight to get kills with a spit or hurricane using .303 firepower.
It takes alot of patience and skill to manuever that close.

I'll probably fly the German side because of the firepower thing. My favorite German aircraft are the 109F and 109G2. So... I'll be in good stead, though I probably would enjoy defending the "island" more.

Flying the air combat sims... well you really have to let history take care of itself, and fly what you enjoy. Otherwise, you'll get to suffer the rewards (get shot down) of your patriotic fervor... LOL

Last edited by nearmiss; 02-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

1+ For a chronological progress.And yes,I want to fly every crappy plane I could!!Cant wait for the Pacific Theater with this new engine.

Last edited by Royraiden; 02-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
and the AVG, Western China/ Burma
Yeah, then we would be flying P40's in CoD .

~S~
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Oleg seems, perhaps, to be adopting something of a chronological approach. He's focusing on the Med (probably) as his next theatre. A third party add-on is introducing the Battle of Moscow which provideds a base for a larger Barbarossa installment. I can see how North Africa would be incremental, some changes to the models, some new planes and the possibility of expanding into carrier aviation but, as has been mentioned, perhaps the scope of some installments will preclude them from being developed untill the average machine of the time has a hope of running them. Whilst I'd give my right arm for a Mighty 8th/Fortress Europa installment, the size of it must mean it's not going to be seen for a wee while.

AVG would be great, but all the Japanese planes would mean alot more work and short of the following installment being Il-2 The Rising Sun perhaps not a that sensible.

If they can wake Galba back up that would introduce hot rod piston aircraft, gives us two iconic jets, and perhaps introduce carrier aviation too. I sort of liked how Galba and BoB topped and tailed the decade, gave us crap-planes and hot rods, pleased many audiences with their inclusivity. I hope it comes along sooner rather than later.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

Given the amount of reference material required to construct a FM for CoD, I wouldn't hold my breath for crap planes. There are even major types that lack in reference materials and are therefor unlikely to be seen in CoD, so some odd ball low production run biplane certainly is not the first choice to go reference hunting for, IMO.

Last edited by Zorin; 02-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zooly View Post
The Battle of France or maybe Poland would make perfect early addons, we should have to wait for the late war planes...crap planes all the way for me
I know it's not very likely, but I'm all for this.

But I'll settle for the Med
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

Well, even if you do it in order...
The AVG was in China rather early.. and the Pacific campaign got underway in 42. I. Love. Carrier Ops. Its just awesome... and considering islands.. the maps would be a bit easier to crank out. But considering how long it took last time to get the pacific involved.. and the controversy over American aircraft.. Im not holding my breath. Can only hope some 3rd party guys will work on those aircraft.
If not the pacific... Id still say to stay on time with 42-43 Europe and North Africa.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Approved Member

Honestly, I don't get what is so special about poland or france campaigns.

- Crap planes?
You can have plenty of those elswhere.
I also dubt that large audience will enthusiastically fly unknown (and, with one exception, inferior) polish planes from this period.

- Luftwaffel planes o b l i t e r a t i n g everything?
Yeah, this might be enough for those, who like to blitz over the sky in their bf109 untouchable and superior to all. Luftwaffel loving king of the sky wannabes ...

These battles have no allied aeroplane that became a legend of ww2.
And you need one to sell the sim worldwide.

So why poland/france?
Enlighten me.
Btw I don't want to cause a flame war, just curious
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Approved Member

"Crap" plane actually doesn't not mean "some odd ball low production run biplane" or "unknown (and, with one exception, inferior) polish planes from this period."

Crap means "bad, slow, low performance", and for sure no one cant say that I16 is lacking in references, or any of Fiat fighters for example.

With respect, Great Britain didn't had all the best planes in WW2, actually there was more crap planes that great ones (fairy fulmar or blenheim anyone?). Logic where USAAF and RAF had only great planes and other mostly crap, just don't holds the water. Also remember what Eric Brown said when he first time sat in the Yak fighter.

Poland and France are special because war started in Poland and France and Polish aviation gave Luftwaffe good share of troubles. Actually so called "Battle of Britain" was not very much bigger than war in Poland or France, not to mention east front which makes "Battle of Britain" appears as "happy and beautiful walk on a lovely sunny sumer day".

(Battle of Britain is bigger and more important of course . . . if you count movies made on the subject . . . )

Of course for all of that one would need to read some books, not to just watch "war in color" on TV. There is not much smart and historically correct facts on TV nowadays, anyway.

Just compare IL2 and other flight sims. IL2 made crap planes and other mostly "the great and successful ones" (read "boooring" ). Where is IL2 today comparing to others? And crap planes are partly "guilty" for that.

For me, it would be operation "Marita".