Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs [CV] View Post
That's just showing us the hardware math, (memory bandwidty, core frequency, etc.) and not what they are going to do in COD. We're going to have to wait to see what hardware does what in-game.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post
I'm looking at 2 computers around the same price, 1 has dual 5870s the other SLI 580s.

Now the 580s are apparently the best GPUS around (tesselation) but the 5870s have EyeFinity, which I don't think the Nivida have? I would like Eyefinity but the 5870s are older tech than the 580s!

I realise both systems are over kill but my next computer will have to last 5 years+

Any help from tech guys?

He111 be careful not to compare apples with pears, have a look here:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2857-7.html

Those results are backed up by other reviews (I spent 3 months looking at them before buying my new PC in December).

If you have the money to be thinking 580 you should be comparing it with the 5970 or even wait until the AMD 6990 comes out and gets some reviews. I'm not saying I recommend AMD, in fact I bought Nvidia 570 instead of AMD 6970 for my own reasons, but the 6990 should be pitching at or above the 580 performance.

Essentially the difference between the AMD 58xx and 69xx series is the 68's use lower power and deliver far better tesselation performance (although CoD doesn't use tesselation). The 69xx series will push the 58xx series down in price but at the level you are considering the 58xx series is not the way to go IMHO.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodan View Post
Eyefinity menu's are better/more advanced then Nvidia surround view. Its like Nvidia implemented it only because ATI/AMD has Eyefinity. So like a after thought)
CPU's dont really need drivers as we know them for GPU's.

There is no game that will give you a problem/conflict with a AMD cpu.
I havent used eyefinity myself, so I cannot comment on that.
CPU drivers I never said anything about. I was just saying the options were gpu's and I thought he misunderstood that.
2 580s can run 4 monitors and are muc more powerful cards, SLI is also more efficient then crossfire when you scale them (tomshardware).
Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
Luthier said that SLI/Xfire was inconclusive at this time. Do you know something he doesn't? Did we miss an update?

Also, SLI/Xfire is for people who want to game at huge resolutions or on multiple monitors. A single card of the next generation will typically outperform 2 cards of the previous generation in an SLI/Xfire configuration, and do it cheaper as well.

Wait and see before you drop come coin!

Edit: Found the post by luthier http://forum.1cpublishing.es/showpos...&postcount=241

P.S. Note that i never said if the performace gain would be 1 fps or 100.

The reason Luthier cant awnser the "how much gain will Sli/crossfire give" is because A: the game aint finished. B: There isnt any Sli/crossfire profile for CoD out yet, since the game aint finished. C: Asking Oleg and team to run any kind of configuration under the sun to save us a buck is kind of crossing the line into lala land.If people want sli/crossfire to give a 100% boost i suggest you all contact NVidia/AMD right now and put the pressure on.

I would however be extremely surprised if at least Sli didnt get a boost since Oleg stated they worked with NVidia

Anyhow, i think we are digressing from the original question.

Last edited by Baron; 02-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
P.S. Note that i never said if the performace gain would be 1 fps or 100.

The reason Luthier cant awnser the "how much gain will Sli/crossfire give" is because A: the game aint finished. B: There isnt any Sli/crossfire profile for CoD out yet, since the game aint finished. C: Asking Oleg and team to run any kind of configuration under the sun to save us a buck is kind of crossing the line into lala land.If people want sli/crossfire to give a 100% boost i suggest you all contact NVidia/AMD right now and put the pressure on.

I would however be extremely surprised if at least Sli didnt get a boost since Oleg stated they worked with NVidia

Anyhow, i think we are digressing from the original question.
You dont need driver support to test an SLI setup, you can create your own profile, the reason why the Devs have not done this is beyond me. However being that this is a very similar engine to Il2 the GPU will have little effect its the CPU that will show the biggest performance in game.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
... the reason why the Devs have not done this is beyond me...
How about utter lack of a multi-GPU system in their office or with beta testers? It's one possibility.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post
I'm looking at 2 computers around the same price, 1 has dual 5870s the other SLI 580s.

Now the 580s are apparently the best GPUS around (tesselation) but the 5870s have EyeFinity, which I don't think the Nivida have? I would like Eyefinity but the 5870s are older tech than the 580s!

I realise both systems are over kill but my next computer will have to last 5 years+

Any help from tech guys?

If you want the rig to last five(5) years, atleast get something with a decent DX11 performance. GTX580 all the way. The 5870's DX11 performance SUCK. And they've already been replaced by the Cayman 69xx gpu's.

@TreeUK, how exactly is CoD:IL-2's engine "very similar" to IL-2's?

Last edited by kimosabi; 02-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You dont need driver support to test an SLI setup, you can create your own profile, the reason why the Devs have not done this is beyond me. However being that this is a very similar engine to Il2 the GPU will have little effect its the CPU that will show the biggest performance in game.

First: They have more important things to do than making sure u/we buy the right hardware. Its not their job to do so. The sooner u understand this the sooner u can move on to your next pet peew.

Second: Similar engine to IL2? I know u just loove to take digs at oleg and team but lets keep it real, your creditability benefits greatly from it if u do. (in fact, i cant recollect a single post from u where u havent, in one subtle way or another taken a dig at the dev team).

Last edited by Baron; 02-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
However being that this is a very similar engine to Il2 the GPU will have little effect its the CPU that will show the biggest performance in game.
That is incorrect. Il2 is highly CPU dependant because the engine was developed at a time when GPUs were very weak but CPUs were relatively powerful.

The new engine has been developed in an era when usable CPU power is bottlenecking, and GPU power advances unchecked.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
speculum jockey

As for building a 5+ year system, here's a rough visual representation of why this is a bad idea.

As you can see you are really paying through the nose for those last few FPS that you're not going to get with a $1000 system. But! Buying more often for a more reasonable price yields better results since that $1000 system the next year will trounce that $3000 system, and probably have more features and options. Plus you're getting a new warranty as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us