Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

We have a crapload of different systems here on the board.
They will play CoD from day one.
Hopefully, they will share their results here and flood the forum.

I'm not going to buy anything until I have seen some of the results and therefore know what adds and what not.

(Cool thing is, the biggest computer discounter of the country has store just down the road )
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
I'm not upset. I just think it is rather childish and boring. I'm glad you enjoy your gaming, just don't pretend to yourself that anyone else should care to know what you use for your gaming. I care for what upgrades any of you are planning to buy just as much as I care what you all had for breakfast and the type of cutlery you use to eat it.
I find it quite useful to see what PC specs people have running their sims as the HW is quite critical in creating a smooth and immersive flying experience. Simmers also often tend to be IT propellerheads to the PC components market and it's development is close to the hearts of many here.. atleast me. Interpreting all that as a pissing and getting winded up enough to come bash it here is beyond me.

But anyway I recommend you close your eyes now as I will paste the setup I ordered a week ago for my new simming rig:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 LGA1155
MSI N580GTX-M2D15D5/OC NVIDIA
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155
OCZ RevoDrive PCI Express SSD 120GB SSD
Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
Antec P193 ATX
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair AX850W
Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

So I'm refreshing more or less everything except my monitor and TIR. I can't wait to get the bits and pieces together, load up the 64bit OS in and give my favourite titles a go while waiting for Cliffs to come out. Especially trying FSX out is something I'm looking forwards as I like GA simming as a sunday hobby. The beautiful scenery add-ons killed the FPS on 1920x resolution with my Q6600 and GTX295 so after reading some positive performance reports of 2600K FSX might be back in the menu for me after a long break. A2A's P47 for FSX is just stunning!

Would be great to establish a 'baseline' FPS recording for Cliffs to have FPS´s reported here in one thread with different rigs and different settings to help ppl out selecting the good combo for their budgets and needs.

Peace, out!

Last edited by whatnot; 01-30-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffepilot View Post
What is confusing me is that I read that the CPU only supports 1333 RAM.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-s...-tuf-review/17

Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Approved Member

I cast long eyes at the sandybridges to replace my aging E8400...

The "problem" is that almost all games run fine at max setting with that E8400 clocked at 3.6Ghz and a GTX 275 that is really old but does it's job in most games...

Previously I always bought the fastest stuff available when upgrading but as it is now with hardware moving faster than the software requirements (the GTX 275 was my first mid range card) I realize that the upgrade I'm thinking of is a Sandy Bridge 2600 with a P67 Mb and either a HD6950 or a GTX 560 Ti... Then after a year or two a faster GPU to let it live a bit longer.

Then maybe I think of getting the HD6950 or GTX 560 Ti for my current rig. Really depends on how CoD will be limited... If I don't have a CPU bottle neck due to it using both cores well and doing fine without the need for more cores and the GPU is the limiting factor... It would spice the current rig for a year of extended front line service I guess

To the people that may post here with "why do you bother then" etc, let us guys that like discussing this do it here? It has something to do with the game at least as we are gearing up for war

EDIT: Well, the conclusion like many others is that I will wait before changing anything - even if I have "the itch" now

Last edited by mazex; 01-30-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Approved Member

I will wait.I upgraded my computer to play RoF,with a Q6600 O/C to 3.2,4 GBs ram,and a 4850 1GB card.
This system plays RoF very nicely ,with almost max settings,so I am confident it will be OK in CoD.For now...
If it is anything like il2 was at the beginning,we will have to upgrade along the way anyway,as Oleg turns on more eyecandy and features!
Oh,and the Q6600,ram and motherboard was second hand,and cost £170,so people should not think they have to spend thousands to fly CoD...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Approved Member

S!

AMD Bulldozer CPU + 990FX chipset + AMD 6990HD GPU + 16Gb of RAM. That's the plan

Current one is AMD PhenomII X6 1090T + 890FX chipset + AMD 6970HD + 8Gb of RAM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Approved Member

Please,no!Stop showing all these computer specs,you are killing me,aarghh!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Approved Member

Looking at this benchmark...
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/intel_s...re/index37.php

There's no advantage in using higher memory bandwith than default of the CPU.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
I will wait.I upgraded my computer to play RoF,with a Q6600 O/C to 3.2,4 GBs ram,and a 4850 1GB card.
This system plays RoF very nicely ,with almost max settings,so I am confident it will be OK in CoD.For now...
If it is anything like il2 was at the beginning,we will have to upgrade along the way anyway,as Oleg turns on more eyecandy and features!
Oh,and the Q6600,ram and motherboard was second hand,and cost £170,so people should not think they have to spend thousands to fly CoD...
My Q6600 didn't overclock all too well, it stopped booting with just a 0,2 GHz OC. I'm not much of an overclocker however so I might not have done all the tweaks needed to get most out of it. I'm however confident to get a 4.2-4.5 GHz stable OC with 2600K without too much hazzle and there are pretty good guides available.

One thing that's an ongoing torment is that after you've made your order there seems always be some new review of a motherboard or whatever that is praised to be the best in this and that. However I'm confident that whatever Mobo + 2600K + GTX580 combo you put together there won't be significant FPS difference at the end of the day. That's atleast what I want to believe
Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
I'm not upset. I just think it is rather childish and boring. I'm glad you enjoy your gaming, just don't pretend to yourself that anyone else should care to know what you use for your gaming. I care for what upgrades any of you are planning to buy just as much as I care what you all had for breakfast and the type of cutlery you use to eat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuchele View Post
Well,I care a lot the specs people use, because pc parts are expensive and I need as much input I can use from foruns and sites before I do my purchase.
I like to share my findings and recommendations with people here because it's the very nature of this forum, right?
Bragging rights isn't worst than point fingers at people faces.
That is really arrogant not a list of computer parts, mate.
Someone answered for me.There's nothing childish about it so get over it.If you dont like it then close your eyes or something.If I had my previous pc right now I would have posted in my sig too.Again you need to enjoy what you have, it seems you do not and you seem to get upset because some other guy you dont even know has a "better" pc.I would cry every time I get to OCN and see all the monstrous rigs(and I spend most of my time there)if I thought like you.

Last edited by Royraiden; 01-30-2011 at 12:34 PM.