Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
And I want a pony!
Here you go Charv!!!

OK, honestly, with the amount of detail being poured in to the 3D models, and by extension the damage models, I think it will be safe to say that the FMs will be among the best ever experienced in a prop sim.

The simple fact that Oleg is including the Sukhoi 26 aerobatic aircraft in the sim should be a big clue. There is more known about the SU 26's flight envelope and characteristics than just about any propeller driven aircraft ever made. Putting it in the sim is a pretty bold statement by Oleg on the veracity of the FMs.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov

Last edited by ElAurens; 01-25-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

I must agree with ElAurens. The SU 26 could be the benchmark. If there is something wrong with the FM, then you can check. Of course other planes can be flawed, but at least it's possible to verifie how the general physics model holdes up.

Btw. Has Oleg ever shown a scrennshot of the Su 26? I don't recall.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

The only images I recall were renders in 3D Max.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

The Su-26 was in one of the Igromir videos. I will try to find it.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Approved Member

Yes, some characteristics of the new FM was introduced to one of the later IL2 patches but:

A) I'll bet dimes to donuts that only some of the new characteristics were applied to the old engine, and

B) Those FM aspects were quite early implementations, and

C) The fidelity of those flight characteristics were less due to the limitations of the old IL2 engine than we will see in CoD.

I think we'll see new factors like torque and perhaps wind gusts as well as drastically improved high altitude modeling amongst many other things that will subtlely, yet drastically alter how you fly in the new sim. How they get tuned for accuracy is anyone's guess and likely the subject of future patches and whinges.

When you factor in the incredible detail to damage modeling and new AI characteristics, radar, etc. I think we're in for some good times.

Yet it seems so many here are more concerned about visual details.

If Oleg & crew play their cards right - and to be honest, things like the user interface is where many eastern European and Russian developers struggle - 1C may just hit the holy grail for demographic crossover with CoD. If the difficulty scaleability they're shooting for, along with a solid user interface and fun factor works out just right, they may be able to win over the casual (read: console) gamer as well which will be a home-run for the industry as a whole.

If it wasn't for the sheer dedication and determination of lower budget Russian and Euro developers flight sims would either be dead or 10 years behind but UI's and game-flow are often an afterthought.

Personally I could almost care less and be happy with the exquisite FM, DM, etc. detail but if Oleg, Ilya and crew manage to nail the rest of it then look out...