Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltbear View Post
wowser...dont go to stand up shows m8....

This is where i could bla bla and the one small bla more....

But one thing we need to clear up...

there was a time doing my life (10 years) where i had a job that took me around the world. It took me to Bosnia in 95 and 97 it took me to Kosovo 2000 it took me to Iraq in 2005....The job ended in 2005 but it was a good job. (got a job with more pay)

That is my small story, its not fancy, no movie stars, but its my story....

I dont live in the US, i am not from the US i come from the other side of the pond.....

Calm down....i dont know you, you dont know me.....many wars have begun over what you dont know.....why start another one....

i salute any brother of war, but i stil pull stunts on them when i se them (as do many with me)

Ltbear
it's all good, you just need to learn a little tact IMO. think before you type.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

I actually don't think disrespect was intended, but I can see being touchy about people who were probably closer than brothers too. Thank you all for your service!

Can't really beat a Mossy can you? I don't know what it takes to jam one as I have never seen one quit working. Sort of like the AK47 of shotguns. The wife wants one so a Mossy is probably my next purchase though I think she is kidding herself about being able to handle a 12 gauge. We'll know after the first trigger pull .

Gotta remember to bring the video camera....

Splitter
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
it's all good, you just need to learn a little tact IMO. think before you type.
That goes for all of us.

'Lighten up bud", my uncle keeps telling me and his experiences you wouldn't want to suffer.
He buried most of his mates under the Birma railway.

Anyhow on topic.
With Win 7 64 try installing under a separate folder under C:\ andd not under program files.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

The one thing you are least likely to find here is disrespect for any armed forces, JRock. (although it's not unheard of) What you will find is a large proportion of inactive/retired military, and even some active, and most of the rest are students of military history. We understand the love you have for the guys that you have laid your life down for and who have done the same for you (even if not first hand). Don't let a misunderstood joke put you off from a place where you are very likely to be understood. (I'm not even sure I get what I just said.......)

Now, back on topic, Just a few personal pointers on your gameplay;

You are going to be essentially learning how to fly an airplane with this game, so cut yourself a lot of slack before you even start, it's not easy. (especially if your going to run maxed out settings). If you have time, try to learn about the real aircraft that are represented in IL2, say for instance you're going to start a campaign where you are going to fly the F4F Wildcat, then get your Google on and learn as much as you can about how the real one was flown.

As for the 'catching up' problem, don't just put your gunsight on the AI, that's not how prop planes fly, they simply don't have the power. You are going to have to 'keep your nose down' and let the plane fly up to them at something near 'best climb'. While best climb varies from plane to plane, 280-300 kph is a good rule of thumb. In dealing with the AI's tendency to run away from you, you might actually want to drop your nose even further to get your speed up to maybe 350kph or so, you'll soon find yourself catching up.

BTW, I think the idea of using birdshot to make your point before "sawing" the car in half, is actually above and beyond. Props.

Last edited by BadAim; 11-16-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
That goes for all of us.

'Lighten up bud", my uncle keeps telling me and his experiences you wouldn't want to suffer.
He buried most of his mates under the Birma railway.

Anyhow on topic.
With Win 7 64 try installing under a separate folder under C:\ andd not under program files.
thanks for the tip, but i realized i had the 1946 copy and it already had the expansion on it. noob mistake, but thanks for the help.

i'm very easy going about most things, but when it comes to the soldiers i went into combat with, i get touchy. just my PTSD kicking in i guess. i'll work on it!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
The one thing you are least likely to find here is disrespect for any armed forces, JRock. (although it's not unheard of) What you will find is a large proportion of inactive/retired military, and even some active, and most of the rest are students of military history. We understand the love you have for the guys that you have laid your life down for and who have done the same for you (even if not first hand). Don't let a misunderstood joke put you off from a place where you are very likely to be understood. (I'm not even sure I get what I just said.......)

Now, back on topic, Just a few personal pointers on your gameplay;

You are going to be essentially learning how to fly an airplane with this game, so cut yourself a lot of slack before you even start, it's not easy. (especially if your going to run maxed out settings). If you have time, try to learn about the real aircraft that are represented in IL2, say for instance you're going to start a campaign where you are going to fly the F4F Wildcat, then get your Google on and learn as much as you can about how the real one was flown.

As for the 'catching up' problem, don't just put your gunsight on the AI, that's not how prop planes fly, they simply don't have the power. You are going to have to 'keep your nose down' and let the plane fly up to them at something near 'best climb'. While best climb varies from plane to plane, 280-300 kph is a good rule of thumb. In dealing with the AI's tendency to run away from you, you might actually want to drop your nose even further to get your speed up to maybe 350kph or so, you'll soon find yourself catching up.

BTW, I think the idea of using birdshot to make your point before "sawing" the car in half, is actually above and beyond. Props.

thanks for the awesome tips man!! i've had to cut back on a lot of settings because when i first started i would just swirl straight to the ground as soon as i started flight. it blew my mind. i'm using noob settings now, but i'm struggling with my hotkeys right now and understand exactly how the aircraft itself works. i was an m1 abrams tank gunner, so i know nothing about plane flight. lol
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

long time since i was a BFT trainer in the JFC, but here is a few things....

The historic cool planes are in many cases the hardest to fly. Learning prob pitch mixture and 3 darn engine settings + the energy remembering and then on top you have to lead a target and at the same time avoid being shot down, well welcome to IL2

As statet by many AI just use drugs and have planes build somewhere in the universe.

A great way to learn to fly and shoot in IL2 is to take a plane that rules out half the above, i normaly recomend The A6M2-21 zero. That is a plane that dont need to much thought to fly and yes low ammo count, but you have about a gazalion 7.7 rounds to practice with.

A6m2-21
take of pitch 100%
flaps take off
mixture 100%
Radiator open
Throttle to the wall

climp at 220 to 1000m

1000m
Throttle 80% pitch 80
mixture 80

When climping you just decrease the mixture slowly, you can hear the engine loosing rpm`s if its to lean. above 1500m you just keep the 80% pitch

set up quick missions you vs a transport and shoot him down practicing the lead from all angles. Here its vital you do your best to avoid attacks at there 6 (well help you avoiding a werry bad habbit and you will be happy later)

Dont get above 550kph or you have to trim your self out of a can of worms...

3500m is the altitude where it have its place....

you can land it at speeds down to 110kph and stil have control..

doing combat manouvers keep it between 390 and 550kph

Dont yank it, it can do it, but against especialy early war fighters you can turn and climp like a hawk on chase if you are gently.

Energy fighting. Well its easy to explain. when you do a loop you loose speed on the way up and gain on the way down, so what you need to do is to manouver the plane with as little input to keep the momentum up so you make the loop within the best capabilitys of the engine of the plane.

Any input creates some drag over the surfaces, the less you move them the less drag you create and the more energy you keep in the plane.

The thing you realy need to practice is when to engage and when not to engage. When a enemy dives its not always the best to go after him, he needs to get the energy back up by climping, if you stay where you are and just make a climping cirkle folowing him, you will keep the advantage so when he comes at the top of hes climp and need to build up energy again, you have the energy advatage over him. (this should give you a small idea what energy fighting is)

All planes should be flow as a energy fighter at there prime altitude, those who turn, are the ones who burn.

have to go now, get back with more this evening

LTbear
Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Approved Member

thanks!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
just a few questions... i start off at the first american mission at pearl harbor, and my squadron mate flies sooooo much faster than me and gains altitude amazingly fast. i know how to raise my gear and my flaps, but is there some other trick that i'm missing? i read all of the pdfs that came with the game but everytime i try to gain altitude my engine overheats and i'm screwed. any help would be appreciated. tia
I remember it well!

It was 9 years ago, though.

This may sound weird, but Microsoft Flight simulator has some great lessons on how to fly an aeroplane (airplane). The trouble is, it's extremely boring!
The advice given so far is all good advice. Keep your nose down for airspeed.
The more airspeed, the faster you climb.
Learning the relationships between thrust, drag, lift and gravity are essential.
Don't pull on the stick to gain height after takeoff, push on it gently to maintain the same height whilst gaining airspeed. Release pressure after you've gained airspeed and you'll go up like a lift. Also once you're off the ground, back the throttle off to 90-95%, and reduce pitch setting to about the same. This'll help prevent overheating.
There used to be some online training schools, who'd be happy to help you out, but I'm afraid I don't know any myself.
Maybe someone else on the forum could point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Dutch

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 11-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Approved Member

One of the best lessons I have learned recently is "stay cool". Keep radiators open prior to combat. Keep RPMs lower and prop pitch back a bit. Don't leave WEP enabled in combat by default. Throttle back in dives, reduce prop pitch. Open the radiator whenever you can in combat.

If the RPM's and prop pitch are cut a bit and you need to pour on power, the plane will jump when you do. Being "cool" prior to combat leaves you a bit more room for the temperature increases in combat. If you don't need WEP to catch someone or get away, don't use it. That's a bit of reserve power to call on when you need it.

Probably the hardest thing to learn is not bleeding off all of your speed in a turn (when you don't have to). Speed is life after all. Much of the time a wider turn at higher speed is preferable to a tight turn that leaves you just above stall (depends on the situation obviously). As I get more experience in the sim, I find myself being more "smooth" with the controls to preserve speed.

Trim, trim, trim. I am obsessed with the slip ball . But it helps in flying efficiently and maintaining or gaining speed. When cruising or trying to catch up to an enemy, I find that climbing or diving with elevator trim is a big key in keeping as much speed as possible. Re-trimming on approach also makes landing easier...and safer .

Splitter