Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

the last time i play assault squad was more then 2 month ago at the same time when all most everybody stop playing it.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Approved Member

Interesting because the amount of players in MoW:AS closed beta have been the highest of all time in the last couple of weeks. Anyway, It'd be helpful and less confusing for other people if you create feedback to the actual open beta and not something you played over 2 months ago. There is a closed beta section for this.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

thanks, Instinct, for chiming in but let's get back to my dumb questions if you don't mind (you can help answer this if you're still around). and, to the delight of many, i'll make this my last one:

i'll repeat, i don't play multiplayer. i like the mission based strategy, planning, and maneuvering of MoW and MoW:RT but don't like the brute force, kamikaze style of play i'm experiencing in the open beta Multiplayer Skirmish option (2 players, me and the AI). will the single player skirmish mode in the released version of Assault Squad be more like the original MoW/Red Tide or should I NOT buy it because it will just be more of the kamikaze stuff i'm seeing now?

if AS is not for me there's always Vietnam coming up which will probably be more to my liking...only thing is, some guys i knew years ago were killed there so we'll see...

Last edited by Mack the Knife; 11-07-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
will the single player skirmish mode in the released version of Assault Squad be more like the original MoW/Red Tide or should I NOT buy it because it will just be more of the kamikaze stuff i'm seeing now?
Not sure what you mean with kamikaze style, but the difficulty you set also sets the amount of troops. So on easy you should have a pretty fair and less demanding gameplay with a lot less units.
However, the skirmish is the core feature of Assault Squad and comes with 16 missions for 5 nations and are similar to the ones you see now. As this is a beta there will be changes for the release version for sure but not drastic ones.

After the release you will most likely have the chance to obtain more skirmishes via DLC that feature different sort of gameplays.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

Mack, I guess I don't need to tell you that Skirmish plays differently from Missions. If I were you I would save money for Vietnam for the meantime, however I am pretty sure there will be plenty of mods for AS, and among them there surely will be some missions, so you might consider buying it for them.

In Skirmish it is also possible to plan and try different tactics but there is a problem coz AI always does the same thing and relentlessly puts pressure on you. So first you need to learn how to effectively repel AI attacks before planning your advance.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Honestly, I'll have to see after a official demo. It just seems to be another mod.
Thats the impression I have from the Beta so far as well ... sadly. Either my expecations have been wrong or the game doestn really offer that much. Seems to also have the same penetration and code like previous games. But I havnt spend that much time with that yet (though Tigers geting their turret penetrated by 76mm guns ... not all to fun if you ask me).

Hoped for a few more changes then just visuals. But time will tell. IN the curent state though I am not sure if to buy it really is worth the prize, well depending on how much it will cost in the end of course.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS|Instinct
Not sure what you mean with kamikaze style
hmm, odd coming from a WWII game guy...is 'bonzai charge' better? and yes (of course) I was playing on easy and thanks for your input.

@CzaD,

sage advice and i'll do just that...

<edit>
if nothing else this topic of mine at least got some people talking...good to see more folks here and contributing
</edit>

Last edited by Mack the Knife; 11-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

Come on, guys. In all fairness, all expantions can be seen as mods. MoW Vietnam expantion is coming out, so is the MoW Vietnam mod.

As to the price, well I have no idea how much we are going to pay for AS. It is always better to wait a month or so coz the price upon the release is aimed at the rich and spoilt and then it goes down.

Since I love MP, AS offers more value for money for me than RT or Vietnam.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
...Since I love MP, AS offers more value for money for me than RT or Vietnam....
Yeah. I was through RT in less then 3 months. I do not believe I will bother with Assault Squad or Vietnam. The only thing that sticks out in Assault Squad is the skrimish mode. Of course we have been asking for it, it sounds like it sucks though.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Frankly speaking, skirmish is not that bad when you look at it closely. However, I understand it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, coz skirmish is all about using strategy in the heat of battle. Crete mission actually resembles Skirmish very much and I would prefer Skirmish to be just like that with no flags, but with more varied fortifications.

Call it whatever you like: kamikaze or mass heroism, it doesn’t change the fact that AI charges actually resemble those of WW2, esp on Eastern front. When I watch Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line or Enemy at the Gates, I actually see very similar scenes as in the game.

I can see an improvement in AI. They don’t just run from A to B. AI soldiers constantly move from cover to cover, they even retreat. In AS the AI tanks are tweaked quite well too. They don’t just drive in a straight line nor do they swarm together like it was in the missions. They frequently use roads, and stay back and patiently look for targets rather than rush to your base and get destroyed by AT nades.

Of course AI will never be perfect but when you actually turn on the fog of war and play on normal, it might surprise you a bit and you will have more fun exploring the map in search of AI units.

What’s more I don’t think you will find better AI in RTS. I would never be able to force myself play games like CoH. I used to be a huge Total War fan, but not anymore. All TW titles before Empire are brilliant, and Stainless Steel mod for Kingdoms is just awesome: it is actually capable of winning. But to my horror, in Empire they introduced a new FOW for your units and your units now can only see and react to enemy units who are right in front of them but they will absolutely disregard enemy units who shoot at them from flanks or rear. I hate this completely unrealistic feature so bad and I won’t even bother to check out the new Shogun 2 game. I’d rather play Skirmish. To see how atrocious AI path finding is in TW, you need to play a game in town. In Skirmish, this is where AI shines coz AI soldiers have lots of places to hide, but in TW I was able to defeat 2 full stack armies with just a handful of units with minimal losses and I could do it with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Last more thing, I just love Skirmish maps. They really look nice. They alone invite you to play on them. And I think they are well designed too , esp with tanks in mind. I was happy to see that AI tanks don’t get stuck somewhere on the map but can roam freely.

All in all, the skirmish is not that bad and if they will introduce scripted events and vary the AI attacks more to break the monotony of AI attacks, it could be quite enjoybale.

Last edited by CzaD; 11-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.