Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmandkg View Post
I just recently switched from realistic to sim. Its so much better besides the fact that I can't look all the way around the cockpit with my joystick.

Why cant you look all the way around your cockpit?? just use the HAT switch and you can free look all round it that is if you use the saitek joystick...anything else then ive no idea, sorry.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergranate View Post
All the modes hav etheir pro and cons.....
Simulator mode is still fun though, but not for serious dogfighting in.
hahaha what?? Erm..um.. It is the ONLY mode for serious dogfighting!

I cannot bring myself to fly anything other sim in any modes, takes away the challenge and IMO the point of the game...I bought Heroes Over Europe for the 30 kill a mission frenzies!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Have been playing nothing but sim mode recently, so i have not been on arcade or realistic, though to be fair i've never gone near arcade anyway.

Well tonight i jumped in a game with pope and see on realistic, it was a dogfight.

After the game finished i have to say -

i hate realistic mode with a passion. I can no longer enjoy the game and be proud with myself for geting a kill because my target is lit up for me like a christmas tree, all i have to do is follow the great big red arrow.

Though i only play sim mode anyway, i will not be going onto realistic anymore, its just crap lol.

Anyone else got an opinion on the game mode? or anythnig to share about a certain difficulty? Any gripes? post away
lol thats the reason i play realistic because you can track the target because my left hand controling the plane has a habit of doing the same as my right hand on the camera and i get killed alot
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

If anyone is trying to dogfight in simulation mode with a controller, I highly recommend switching to the aviator control scheme (press square on the options page to go to controller set up, then go right one from the default).

This set up is way better because you don't need to hold R3 to look around, and you can control throttle while looking.

The downsides are that you lose analog control of rudders, and trying to land or use a bomber gun turret are nigh on impossible.

Give it a try...
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

ok time to add my 2 cents worth

sim mode is they way to go

if you want to feel like you actually hunted down a target moved in for the kill and then shot them down using only your own skill then sim mode is for you the best games ived played on bop online have been sim mode battles

my only gripe with sim mode is that it is hard to spot the enermy as it is hopfully when the patch come that will change

im playing on full hd and still find it hard to spot them when they are close by but i think that is down to my own eyesite after a couple of games i have to stop and take a break becuse it makes my eyes sore so i usally go for a ciggie and a cup of coffee then start again
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

I have to admit I get irritated in SIM dog fights.. I just can't see well enough. It's my eye's fault though, not my display, because I am in 1080p on a 37" HDTV. But, I simply can not see well enough. When I actually do see someone, by the time I get close enough to see if it is friend or foe, they are gone. I play SIM team battles, and dog fights, but I can only do one or two of those at a time before I get board. So, in the dog fighting I prefer realistic. However, as you most know, I am a CTA guy, and absolutely love CTA in SIM best.

Arcade, I just can't do arcade at all. I had to leave a couple flying friends behind already because I just can't get them off arcade....
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Sim, for me, is the only way to go. Not having a rocket powered plane is what makes it good, you have to maintain energy and use skills to maneuver. You can do Immelmans all day in Sim, but you have to maintain energy to do it. To all the realistic players that get frustrated with sim, try practicing off line, almost all of the skills you use in sim (head turning while flying, energy maintenance, finding enemies, gunnery) are things you get used to with practice and when you do it all becomes very rewarding because its all pretty damned hard, just like it was in real life.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

I am interested in input on this idea. I am wondering if it would take away from the SIM experiance in the following. People like myself with the only problem with sim. I have the hardest time following my foe, even after I find them. I think it is much harder than in a real aircraft due to the lack and quickness of reflex of a natural head turn when you see a potential target. I am thinking some help to compensate for the lack of depth perception, and natural reflex would be ok with SIM mode. For instance, I do not like in realistic how you can not hide, or use any stealth strategy, but you can in SIM. This is what I love about SIM, and don't want to do away with that ability. However, If there was a way, that you can tag a potential target AFTER you detect it first on your own would be helpful. I think you should be able to lock onto something once you detect it, even if for an aloted time period. For instance, you seek out enemy or potential target. You see something, so you can lock onto it and track it with the left trigger as in realistic, until you release that trigger. Once you release it, you are on your own again to find it again. This would give you the quick head turning ability as an more natural sense and speed as in a real plane. But once you take your eye off it (release the trigger), to look back forward to get your baring, you would have to find it again... Would that be something doable, and would it be a worthy, and fair compromise in your (the hard core SIM fokes) opinion? I think it would be, and would love SIM exclusively if I had that ability that I feel would be more natural, and compensate for the lack of depth perception lost on a display.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

I don't have as much of a hard time with tracking bandits using the hat stick, but I would play a game with the system you mention, it seems like not a bad compromise. Of course, the real solution is Track IR on a PC. Perhaps somewhere down the road a sequel to BoP could feature Natal support for just the head turn function? Man, that would be sweet!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

For me its sim only. I use the aviator layout on the control pad so its easier to look around and control throttle and rudders at the same time, but i admit target are sometimes extremly hard to find and follow.

Nonetheless, I think it'd be nice if they could make the difficulty levels more, lets say accurate. I wont talk about arcade mode cause anything goes in there i guess. But whats lacking in realistic mode is that u dont have full control of the airplane (no flaps and trim control, so not really realistic) but alot of visual assistance, i think they should provide both in this diff level to make it more enjoyable/challenging. (landing is way too easy in realistic for example)

Also, i think the virtual cockit view should be taken out of the sim mode, to make it like a real simulation mode. I mean i'm no ace, getting pwned in mp skies here, but managed to go through campaign in sim mode quite easily due in part to the virtual cockpit making it possible to see all around ur plane, even under it, with no blind angles (the enemy A.I. being totally dumb makes most of it tho).

See i usually fly with the virtual cockipt but fell like i'm somewhat cheating. Played a few games with friends online and in sp in cockpit view and it takes the immersion feeling to a whole new level, but if ur dogfighting against some1 whos using the virtual when ur not, he def has an edge on u.

Again i love this game (cant wait for the patch tho... stcik, visuals, G locks and red outs r gonna change aerial combat in mp for the best) and these are just suggestions that i think would make the game more challenging for a futur version.

Cheers

Edit: that tag/lock on/tracking view thing would be nice addition in sim too

Last edited by philabong2; 10-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.