Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcavitale View Post
I actually decided to spend another 10 euros and i got a TX 850

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.330489,18.028174
this one?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=126

that's precisely what i've done back in April, was considering a Corsair 750W but for 10€ more i got the TX850; with the additional power headroom you should even get away with an SLI if you ever want it; others prefer other brands, that's a matter of preference, but as a fact, great choice
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatta Raso View Post
550W and GTX580?? you're pushing your luck... corsair is a great brand but VX is entry series, with that power output i doubt you've ever played any really GPU-intensive game without any issue, talking Crysis 1&2, Witcher 2, Metro... CLoD won't crash, but then again it never really pushed the GPU that hard

anyway, using Prime95 (really?...) 3Dmark, FurMark, or WhatEverMark to measure extreme gaming power needs, that's exactly what i would call 'foggy'... no harm intended but i think you're misleading the OP
You're right mate, FurMark is not realistic, it pushes too much the PC with respect to a video game. It's not realistic, but on the excess side.
On my PC? Crysis 1 and Witcher 1, no problem. Full detail. And CloD is not a GPU intensive game? You are kidding. Anyway go for 1200 W, if you like, or whatever. And trust PSU manufacturers' "calculators", whose goal is just to sell you extra copper and increase margins.
BTW I would be happy to see some measurements, instead of the usual blabla. Measurements like these ones, for instance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...,2699-15.html#

And look at the peak power, with Crysis @2560x1600, on an OC'ed i7920 with a GTX295 OC'ed, notoriously an energy hog vid card. What? ONLY 440W? So, no harm intended, but who's misleading who?

No really guys, be serious, and use your head ...

Last edited by Insuber; 12-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Or, you may want to look at a test system with a GTX580. Taken from guru3D (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...580-review/7):

Quote:
GeForce GTX 580 review
By: Hilbert Hagedoorn Edited by Ian R Barling | Published: November 9, 2010 Power consumption

Let's have a look at how much power draw we measure with this graphics card installed.

The methodology: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. We simply stress the GPU, not the processor. The before and after wattage will tell us roughly how much power a graphics card is consuming under load.

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is higher than your average system.

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 187W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 447W
Difference (GPU load) = 260W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 20W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 280 Watts
Mind you that the system wattage is measured from the wall socket and is for the entire PC. Below, a chart of measured Wattages per card. Overall this is much higher than reference, this is due to an increased GPU voltage to allow easy overclocking and the standard higher clock frequencies.
Again, 440 W, full stress, increased GPU voltage, power hungry i7 965/x58 ...

Also:

Quote:
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 580
On your average system the card requires you to have a 650 Watt power supply unit.
So you're right, maybe, I'm a little bit short (but games don't stress the PSU as the FurMark tests), but my advice to keep the 600W PSU was perfectly legitimate. Or at least, guru3d and I are wrong, and you are right.

Cheers!

Last edited by Insuber; 12-15-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Approved Member

maybe i should have cleared that i meant the 550w being just short of the border case for yours and OP 580GTX, 600W i'd say, IF it's a quality PSU; trying that with cheap manufacturer will give issues; anyway i never meant the need over 750W. so 550W i believe may work ok, as long the PSU really is a quality one.

about CLoD, well it's GPU demanding, but i don't see it fully stressing it like other games do; in other words, it needs and will use all GPU power it can get, but doesn't seem to be working with the video card very effectively (or so it was just after launch); neither do i have much faith in 3D benches, although it is a measurement, just not so representative of the randomness that occurs in a video game

anyway, i'm sure the OP gained some insight looking at everyone's replies
Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatta Raso View Post
maybe i should have cleared that i meant the 550w being just short of the border case for yours and OP 580GTX, 600W i'd say, IF it's a quality PSU; trying that with cheap manufacturer will give issues; anyway i never meant the need over 750W. so 550W i believe may work ok, as long the PSU really is a quality one.

about CLoD, well it's GPU demanding, but i don't see it fully stressing it like other games do; in other words, it needs and will use all GPU power it can get, but doesn't seem to be working with the video card very effectively (or so it was just after launch); neither do i have much faith in 3D benches, although it is a measurement, just not so representative of the randomness that occurs in a video game

anyway, i'm sure the OP gained some insight looking at everyone's replies
I agree with you!

About benches, they stress the system at constant full load, while games have ups and downs. Well, apart from CloD ...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

Everyone must consider that the copper reserves will last from 25 to 60 years. Everyone can do a little thing for our sons. Bigger PSU=more copper.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

You guys are funny. I am running on a 460w PSU here with a 570gtx.

i5 2500k at 4.3ghz. 570gtx at 830mhz. Rock solid(except for CLoD, which doesn't like my card OC'ed, or it CTD).

Granted, this is one quality PSU (Seasonic ss-460fl)..
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

430w anyone?... (sarcasm)
Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Approved Member

TX 850 is a good PSU for sure.

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/
Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post
You guys are funny. I am running on a 460w PSU here with a 570gtx.

i5 2500k at 4.3ghz. 570gtx at 830mhz. Rock solid(except for CLoD, which doesn't like my card OC'ed, or it CTD).

Granted, this is one quality PSU (Seasonic ss-460fl)..
Quality instead of quantity. Unfortunately, on the other hand the forums are full of people who - in good faith - support the inflationist PSU manufacturers' commercial strategy. it's all based on so called "calculators", duly inflated to sell more copper, and on the bad experience of someone with low-end PSUs. "I've seen a friend who fried the MB because of the low power PSU blah blah blah!". Normally no details whatsoever are given.

This widespread attitude is really impressive, it has probably to do with some sort of psychological pitfall in men's brain. Bigger is better! And marketing is more powerful than the experimental results. Money is yours, so no problem, except for the useless depletion of copper resources.

Cheers!