Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

It is annoying to see the obvious superiority of the earlier terrain. I'd never seen the MysticPuma vid before, so thanks for posting - look at the terrain around the 15:50 mark - looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggz View Post
As developing progress and new things are added like physics and other things, stuff has to be balanced. Add some and remove some. It's the way games are built.
I rather have great plane physics and models than trees blowing in the wind or water splashing on the beaches. The colors is another matter which is a matter of taste, more or less.
I don't think this is valid at all - the current COD has as many or even more trees than the earlier version - number and resource usage isn't the point. 'Artistic' use of the elements is where they have screwed up so royally.

The early version demonstrates conclusively that they knew HOW to make a realistic, believable representation of the terrain. My guess is that when the early version was binned they either didn't have enough time (or maybe the services of a talented enough graphical artist) to recreate the authentic look.
The current map has for me all the indications of a rushed job.

I'm aware that different people have different opinions and that some feel the terrain issue is comparatively unimportant. But, I'm definitely not one of them. I've tried to get into the game and give it a chance, but the poor terrain is too much of a turn-off. It's the main reason why I've shelved the game for now. I can also say that unless it is fixed and improved in the future i don't think I will have the desire to get back into the game.

Hopefully it will be, by the community using the SDK if not the devs.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Dutchman View Post
???I see a complete coastline with cliffs,complete villages packed with houses,very detailed fields bordered with treelines...
Cliffs aren't vertical was the issue I beleive we were told, by definition I mean the mesh, ie we now have a high resolution mesh that allows for fine elevation changes rather than the actual textures applied.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Dutchman View Post
???I see a complete coastline with cliffs,complete villages packed with houses,very detailed fields bordered with treelines...
Hell, did you spot that as well? I was starting to think it was just me...
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Look from 14.30 to 16.30 = perfect English landscape right there...nice FPS...no flickering shadows..lots and lots of trees placed to look organic and natural.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
in my opinion the former landscape looks way more natural and convincing, at least for me.
especially the colours and the placement of trees and hedgegrows are in my focus.
I think if modern lighting system is removed from CloD the colours would look the same as in the video, i.e. darker.

We do not have enough clouds or high-altitude overcast ingame to reproduce normal weather and therefore have colours more natural for rare bright sunny days in mid summer when atmosphere is absolutely transparent for sunlight.

When we have hardware to run the weather system or it is optimised enough the lighting would not be as bright and landscape colours would change naturally.

On sunny days colours become very acid. Just Google it
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--kt3jjW13s...inKurogane.jpg

http://www.wallcoo.net/nature/sz194-...A094_photo.jpg

http://www.wallcoo.net/nature/sz194-...A089_photo.jpg

Open in separate tabs and compare to this or any other CloD screenshot https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r...5-12_00061.jpg

Thus, I would not dramatize current state of landscape colours based on personal perceptions. Perception depends on what you compare the colours with. Older games just do not have as advanced lighting system and may look darker even without high-alt clouds\overcast which is wrong.

Last edited by Ataros; 07-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

You guys take the biscuit, never ever have I met such a bunch moaning speculating buffoons.

There are countless games that had tech videos that have looked much much better than the final product and if you think the landscape looks bad then you clearly have not spent much time playing. I agree that the colours at certain times are too bright but it's a flying sim not a sodding 1940 Britain sim GROW UP.

The Internet everyone is apparently an expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

Thats what i keep saying, there will always be: "but, but, but"!!! from people who are never ever satisfied, always.

P.S Someone should alert all the monitor manufactures, there seems to be a all out epidemic bug causing the calibration feature on the screens to conk out.

Last edited by Baron; 07-08-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

Ataros, for me the issue is more about the overall believability of the landscape and specifically placement of trees, though colour could be improved too - and will probably be the easier fix.

JG52Krupi - I was waiting for the 'it's a flight-sim, not a 1940s terrain sim' line to come up. As i've already said, different people put different priorities on things. But a flight-sim has to simulate more than just the aircraft and their systems to a good standard - it has to create a believable world for them to fly in. So a flight-sim set in 1940s Britain does unavoidably have to be something of a '1940 Britain sim'.

It doesn't need to be perfect or to prioritise the terrain above the aircraft and the flying, but it should be believable. For me the early version was and the current version isn't. Personal opinion. Sorry if you disagree, but no need to start name-calling.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
You guys take the biscuit, never ever have I met such a bunch moaning speculating buffoons.

There are countless games that had tech videos that have looked much much better than the final product and if you think the landscape looks bad then you clearly have not spent much time playing. I agree that the colours at certain times are too bright but it's a flying sim not a sodding 1940 Britain sim GROW UP.

The Internet everyone is apparently an expert
WTF are you talking about? Did you even bother to read the leading thread?

Speculation is something that is derived from uncertainty, there is no such uncertainty implied in the video in the leading thread, it is clearly implied that these features would be available with purchase of product.

Jesus help me, how many more of you misguided fools are out there?

CS.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

Umm...Old sailors say " It's bad luck to change the name of a boat".Well, with the game maybe that was not all bad luck.