Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
I'll try the 11.4 drivers tonight.

Interestingly, my card (5870) has always clocked to full speed...I have never had a problem there.

The three blue lines were there at first, but since the last patch they have vanished.

Lucky you! Just to check though, you´re running the game in DX9 or DX10 mode?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Approved Member

It's running in Dx10.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT.INSTG8R View Post
I guess if they are there I haven't noticed them. 5870 here.
Same here. 5870 w/VBios 012.020.000.001.036486

Here's a hint for those with "Blue" horizon and card not running a full tilt - Check your Vbios version.

I just updated mine before obtaining CoD software. I found I couldn't use Catalyst drivers newer than 10-8. When I updated to anything in the 11 cats, I'd get grey screens when my video card crashed.

My best settings in CoD: EDIT2 - No performance increase found with setting "Tessellation to 64X". Performance difference due to background application running during Tessellation test

Thanks for posting screenshots of this, I finally understand what ATI users are talking about.

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t

Last edited by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger; 04-29-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Approved Member

No blue horizon bars on my 5770, do get the odd few lines of ground spiking into water areas (if that makes sense) tho.

What do you mean by adjusting the vbios? No idea what version I'm using and to my knowledge I've never knowingly changed or updated it. I'm not very technical (a bit, but not much), so any ideas on solving the ATI underclocking problem are much appreciated!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

Vbios is the video card equivelant to the Bios in your Motherboard. Warning: you can render your video card unusable by improperly flashing Vbios - the only real safe way to flash Vbios is to obtain the correct version from your video card manufacturer. There are many Vbios for a particular card as components change during the life-cycle.

In my case - I knew I had a problem somewhere because when I could not use Catalyst versions past 10.10. After 10.10 (11 series) the Catalyst and Drivers were changed signficantly. When I installed any of the 11 series Catalysts - I would experience "Grey" screens as my 5870 crashed. Many times a day.

I had purchased my 5870 very early on - so it had a very early Vbios installed. All Vbios have a date - and the one my 5870 came with was 12/17/09 (version 012.018.000.001.000000).

So, I went the the Sapphire website and filled out a trouble ticket. They responded and emailed me. They provided the correct Vbios in the email and some instructions. The newest Vbios for my particular 5870 is 012.020.000.001 - Date 2010/03/08.

How do you know what Vbios you have? Open up the AMD CCC and select the "Information Tab" - then select "Hardware". Scroll down the information window until you see "Bios Version/Bios Part Number/Bios Date". That's what you have inside.

So with all that said, if you aren't having obvious problems - don't worry about it.

I only point this out as a variable in the equation. Hardware, O/S, Video Drivers are what everyone normally focuses on, however Vbios can play a role.

Here's a GPU-Z screenshot of my current configuration:

GPU-Z is a good utility to monitor all sorts of stuff with your video card. It's free. Just Google GPU-Z, download - install and run

Hope this helps,

S!

Gunny
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the info, I already run GPU-Z so it was easy to check. Tbh as I've not had any issues with the recent 11.4 drivers I'll have to assume they're fine! If only solving this underclocking problem was easier!!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

Orpheus,

I haven't had this underclock issue, yet Now, my 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X and comes overclocked a little from standard. When I saw a few weeks ago that someone was recommending AMD Overdrive - I turned it on and pushed the sliders up a bit. However, the last week at least, I turned it off.

Right now my CCC is for AMD Overdrive is set as follows:

Enable AMD OVerdrive = unchecked
High Performance GPU clock = 890MHz
High Performance Memory clock = 1260MHz

I have used the ATITrayTools monitoring graphs set to view Main CPU Usage and GPU Activity. My 5870 was running way over 80% - sometimes as high as 98% - during heavy load CoD application.

S!

Gunny
Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger View Post
Orpheus,

I haven't had this underclock issue, yet Now, my 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X and comes overclocked a little from standard. When I saw a few weeks ago that someone was recommending AMD Overdrive - I turned it on and pushed the sliders up a bit. However, the last week at least, I turned it off.

Right now my CCC is for AMD Overdrive is set as follows:

Enable AMD OVerdrive = unchecked
High Performance GPU clock = 890MHz
High Performance Memory clock = 1260MHz

I have used the ATITrayTools monitoring graphs set to view Main CPU Usage and GPU Activity. My 5870 was running way over 80% - sometimes as high as 98% - during heavy load CoD application.

S!

Gunny
Mine's very similar, my defaults are 850/1200mhz with ATI Overdrive on. The core never hits 850 as it does in every other game, just sits at 400 with GPU usage at 100%, which doesn't seem right to me. Latest beta gives me what looks like true fullscreen (which I assumed would solve the problem) but nothing has changed.

From what I've read it doesn't seem like CloD was ever tested on ATI cards, at least not on a crossfire rig, which to me is ludicrous as ATI/Nvidia make up a huge percentage of the market for gfx cards. After accidentally leaving xfire on after installing 11.4 I feel really bad for people with 6900's and other dual cards, it was a hideous experience. I just wish I could figure out why the underclocking affects some ATI cards/users but not others. Those of us with this issue are only getting around 50% performance out of our GPU's and it's no wonder our framerates struggle to hit two digits!

Last edited by Orpheus; 04-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Approved Member

I just edited the thread above where I posted what I thought were my best settings.

After 3 rounds of confirming tests - I've found that Tessellation at 64X instead of OFF makes a significant differenence in stuttering and minimum FPS. 15 fps difference in multiple tests.

I have also found that Application AA from CoD doesn't do much past 2X - however at 8XAA the frame rate and stuttering are much better.

I'll post more in a seperate thread when I get home tonight. Gotta run.

S!

Gunny
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Are you saying that Tesselation enabled INCREASES your FPS? The 5870 is one of the earliest cards with DX11 and Tesselation features, and it's Tesselation performance is much worse than Nvidia's 480/580 so I guess that just shows us again that the engine can't utilize graphics cards properly at all. Especially since CoD doesn't even run DX11, so having Tesselation enabled shouldn't do jack all for your performance. Atleast not increase it.

Run a Tesselation test at Unigine Heaven and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by kimosabi; 04-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.