Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpassa View Post
first you have to be able to use track ir , freetrack , hotas and joysticks
One of the more logical reasons I have read why porting to Mac not cost effective.

As to Mac's being snobs, same could be seen with Sony ("elitist" computers) vs other PC's.

I do not want to get into a flame war. I am a switch hitter, taking the best out of both hardware and systems.

I still am on XP because my old PC was not "Certified" to run Win7 (that is hilarious considering everyone is bashing Mac OS X for being proprietary, when Windows is just as closed).
I was also peeved on price: WinXP to Win7 update is $299, while the Mac OS 10.5 to 10.6 update is only $29.00 (1/10 the cost).

Quote:
AKA_Tenn
where as mac is about total control of every aspect of software/hardware, therefore its simpler to use, more reliable, but you have extremely limited variety and options in both the software and hardware
Tenn,
Apple Mac's have the ability to boot 100% into whatever version of Windows you want, even Win7.
Apple designed and made hardware, running Microsoft Windows.
And a top end Mac tower is about the same price as a top end Dell Xeon.
So, now anyone can install anything they want on Apple computers, and then some.

the ONLY truly open system is Linux. Anyone prove otherwise.

The best reason PC dominates games?
about 90% of home computers run some version of Windows.
But there is a few million Mac's out there, so.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

I guess I'm an 'elitist' too.

I was a diehard ex-Amiga user. Switched to Windows95 after Commodore managed to kill off such a wonderful OS/machine. Used PCs at work and home for the next ten years. Desktop and laptop at work and a custom game rig at home. Five years ago switched to the Mac mainly because of Ruby on Rails (web app dev platform) and haven't looked back.

I still use a PC at my current job. They still run WindowsXP because they never upgraded to Vista (smart move) and they don't have any plans to move to Win7 at the moment. It's a large govt agency BTW.

I'm glad I switched to the Mac. I now spend more time actually using the machine than tinkering with it, messing around with drivers, virus checkers, registry settings etc.

About the only time I recommend a PC these days to anyone is for hard core PC games. So once SoW is released, I'll be building a custom rig (first one in six years) but I'll make sure the components are 'hackintosh' compatible so I dual boot back into OSX when not playing SoW.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Haha, I was a die-hard Amiga user too. But ten years ago it struck me. Building and using a modern PC was way cheaper and starting with Win2000 was a huge leap beyond what the Amiga had to offer. Memory protection, journaling file system etc.

Until that day, I was constantly in competition with the Wintel platform, praising the functionality, flexibility and (relative) speed of the Amiga hardware and operating system. It was a matter of ego, striving to incorporate new technologies into that old platform. I learned much about computers in general but besides that, it was just a waste of time.

Nowadays I consider that competition childish, and I conform with the great masses. I lost interest in the Apple platform because I saw the same kind of behaviour there, always bragging about the (past) achievements in a way to boast one's ego for acknowledging those facts.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimech View Post
always bragging about the (past) achievements in a way to boast one's ego for acknowledging those facts.
Very true about the Amiga. It *was* a great OS/hardware combo but Commodore literally neglected it into the ground. Still very impressive how long ancient A2000s could hold up against more recent PCs but like you, I acknowledged that PCs/Windows had surpassed them by mid nineties.

I was SO glad to go from a 'flicker fixer' screen on my 1084S monitor to a 17" high res monitor hooked up to a DEC PC. I think it was too late to avoid irreparable damage to my eyes though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimech View Post
always bragging about the (past) achievements in a way to boast one's ego for acknowledging those facts.
I wouldn't say this applies to the Mac though. I use one currently for it's current benefits. I'm big on usability and I just don't see the same focus on that in the Windows world as on the Apple side. And for me at least, Macs are more flexible because I can run any of the three major OSes on the same machine at the same time when I need using Parallels. Mostly it's just running WindowsXP to test my web apps in IE and running Debian or Ubunto to mimic my deployment servers.

Each OS has it's fans for real or perceived reasons. I'm just annoyed at being stereotyped as elitist or snobbish for choosing a machine and OS that works best for me.

p.s. One big benefit of macs for me is that almost all 'support' calls I get from family members are from those who haven't switched to macs yet
Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
I still am on XP because my old PC was not "Certified" to run Win7
One of mine wasn't either, but I gave it a try, worked perfectly.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

w7 > XP

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

Regardless of arguments for or against Mac OS X (I like the OS although I'm not as comfortable with it)... the fact remains that most games are developed using DirectX in some way. Since Windows based PC's are the biggest market... it makes sense to develop for this set of API's. Porting to Mac OS is something that only a few have really done. Blizzard is by far the best at making their games available on Mac OS X and Windows at the same time.

I doubt Storm of War would be available on Mac OS any time soon. Although I'd love to have Mac gamers onboard as well.

I do think I'd want to see Storm of War available on Linux first (and someone made a good point that once it's there... porting to Mac OS unix would probably be less complicated).

To the OP: Try Windows 7... Vista had it's moments but 7 makes things really good.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmalik View Post
I guess I'm an 'elitist' too.

I was a diehard ex-Amiga user. Switched to Windows95 after Commodore managed to kill off such a wonderful OS/machine. Used PCs at work and home for the next ten years.
Me too I miss the logic of Workbench and it is ironical the the only reason I use winblows is for one game! Remember Amiga`s are only for games not like REAL computers HAHA
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Agreed, Vista was suspect but I've been using win7 for nearly a year now with no problems, very impressed.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmalik View Post
p.s. One big benefit of macs for me is that almost all 'support' calls I get from family members are from those who haven't switched to macs yet
Ok, but you have to be fair and mention what caused those problems.
It's usually not the OS itself but some 3rd party software.
This can't happen with Mac because they review every program first internally - but at a high price:
The variety of progis for Win computers just aren't available for mac.

Let me review my last 3 BSODs/fatal errors:

A Sony Z600Tek I modified to 512mb although it was only certified for 256mb.
It was a dual boot machine and the idiot who set up the machine put W2000 and XP on the same partition.
So hyberfil of W2000 influenced XP for some reason.

Problem caused by: User

Acer Aspire M5100
BSOD, reported nvlddmkm error, with 4Gigs of Ram and nvidia driver but not with only 2Gb. 4Gb without nvdia driver also ok.
Changed (proprietary!) mobo: All fine now.

Problem caused by: Acer f-faces

Unknown Brand, XP
Problem: Doesn't react on any input after start-up(froze on desktop)
Didn't solve it myself since I didn't build the system and didn't want to mess around with it(elder guy, system adjusted for him).

Problem: Panda(wtf is that?) Anti Virus.