Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
My God. How short sighted can you all be??? This is not the enemy. This is potentially the best friend SoW could have.

Oleg has said many times that 3rd party and professional works will be allowed compatability in SoW. What if A2A and other companies produced aircraft like this that can be installed into SoW the same way such addons can be added to FSX? Don't you see? This is where Maddox Games will finally get to make a decent living, by creating a 3rd party industry around SoW. Sow will help sell copies of professionally made addon aircraft, and these addons will help sell more copies of SoW.

If Oleg is smart, he'll be negotiating with A2A and others to allow them to produce versions of future aicraft that can run in the SoW environment... for a fee.

SoW has the potential to bury FSX for customers who are into the short-hop flights. Don't willfully misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the 747's and whatnot. I'm talking about the civil types like Dragon Rapides etc, classic warbirds like the B-17 above and everything else in between. SoW has the potential to corner the market as a Classic Flight simulator. Not just a Combat flight simulator. No way can they make an Il-2 sized planeset on their own though. Opening SoW to commercial and 3rd party expansion is the key.

I must say, I'm suprised no one even mentioned it.
Good strategy indeed. I dream for the day, when company under such name will be established: UNITED SIMULATIONS CORPORATION PLC.

Sounds goooooooooooooooooooood!
~S!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Post Planes from Third Party Developers

Yep, the plan really is to get these third party developers to make content for Storm of War. I think it will be good. Probably a bit pricy to buy a lot of planes, but if they can make that favorite one to a super high level, nothing left out, I'll consider spending.

Does anyone recall if it was mentioned how compatibility would be solved when third party aircraft are entered? I think that it was said that the third party developers would submit their planes, and if of high enough standard they would be included and distributed with SoW patches/updates. Then one would have to pay to unlock it as flyable. But always be able to see other people who fly it.

The thought is appealing to me in ways because it could mean that people are more dedicated to learning a specific aircraft (in hardcore realism mode) correctly.

*chanting* Bf 110 - Bf 110 - Bf 110 - Bf 110 - Bf 110!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
My God. How short sighted can you all be??? This is not the enemy. This is potentially the best friend SoW could have.

Oleg has said many times that 3rd party and professional works will be allowed compatability in SoW. What if A2A and other companies produced aircraft like this that can be installed into SoW the same way such addons can be added to FSX? Don't you see? This is where Maddox Games will finally get to make a decent living, by creating a 3rd party industry around SoW. Sow will help sell copies of professionally made addon aircraft, and these addons will help sell more copies of SoW.

If Oleg is smart, he'll be negotiating with A2A and others to allow them to produce versions of future aicraft that can run in the SoW environment... for a fee.

SoW has the potential to bury FSX for customers who are into the short-hop flights. Don't willfully misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the 747's and whatnot. I'm talking about the civil types like Dragon Rapides etc, classic warbirds like the B-17 above and everything else in between. SoW has the potential to corner the market as a Classic Flight simulator. Not just a Combat flight simulator. No way can they make an Il-2 sized planeset on their own though. Opening SoW to commercial and 3rd party expansion is the key.

It was mentioned
Old 06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauii View Post
No it doesn't , jeez ever tried DCS Black Shark...
One aircraft is more than enough when done right, DCS currently holds the market as the most realistic customer simulation out there for sure, not even IL2 gets close.
DCS Black Shark isn't a threat to SOW either.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

I agree 157%. Personally, the reason i didn't mention it is that i've said it a few times in the past and it seems so reasonable anyway that it doesn't even need to be mentioned

Here's to hoping that we get people like A2A get into a licensing agreement with Oleg's team. On one hand the cost of some individual aircraft tends to get a bit prohibitive for FSX who buy lots of add-ons, on the other hand when a team focuses on a single aircraft it's sure going to be detailed like hell. Plus, if there's some "screening" by Oleg's team in regards to FM/DM so that it can be used in multiplayer, that's a lot of extra value right there.

What if we went one step further and had entire theaters and conflicts made? Imagine for example if the guys who made Over Flanders Fields on the CFS engine started getting interested on using the SoW engine.
They have their historical research so over-the-top-refined that you can actually fly a mission with a famous ace and you'll see the exact same weather conditions that Manock or Richthoffen faced over that sector of the front on that day 90 or so years ago, struggling with the turbulence in the exact same paintjob they were sporting in real life. It just begs for an up to date game engine. SoW quality biplanes+90% or more historical accuracy? Sure, give me, i'd pay full price for an OFF remake based on the SoW engine.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Default Ah drama just to let you look at it

Yes it is a real treat!

A2A makes awesome stuff, and I agree with the notion that they'd do some great stuff as 3rd parties with BOB SOW.

FSX engine might have some aspects better than IL-2, but not BOB SOW. And BOB SOW you can actually shoot, bomb, rocket stuff, and it has the physics built into the engine, not coded in later as an afterthought like FSX mods.

Regarding the guy's voice narrating, sounds like a American teenager doing it, hence the pronunciation deviances.

I just hope BOB SOW uses better and more realistic sounds like A2A's stuff uses.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Approved Member

I think third party companies will be eagerly awaiting the day when they can sell their aircraft for use with SoW.
How many of us would be willing to pay for that B17/P40/etc. if we could use them in Sow? I imagine quite a few of us. And most people playing IL2 (future SoW customers) don't even use FSX, so this is a whole new market for those companies.

It's a win-win situation for Oleg and third party companies. Oleg can free up a lot of time and energy that would have gone into producing new aircraft.

I imagine he might want to set certain conditions, ie stipulate that they do a lower poly model (or models with various Levels of Detail).

I wonder how long it will take before Team D' give up on IL2 and start making models for SoW.

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 06-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Approved Member

Only if there is a very sophisticated and trouble free implementation system present. Otherwise, it will be just like it turned out with the MODs. A number of different versions, different settings and all you end up with is a divided online community. I'm sure it is a fine feature for offliners, which FS is a fine example of, but I yet have to be convinced that it will guarantee a smooth online gaming experience.

Besides, I prefer my game environment to be coherent. A hyper poly model amongst other regular ones would stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Approved Member

Oleg said previously that the Su-26 would be available as a how-to model for future third party development. He also said there would be two online modes. Mods-0n and Mods-off.

One would imagine that 3rd party aircraft and addons would be for offline use mostly. Unless manufacturers do something similar to Rise of Flight and release the external model for free, but only charge for the cockpit.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

It ( the A2A B-17) looks to be a great model... too bad about FSX though... I could get the terrain shudder under control and high frame rates but just couldn't get rid of some textures flickering and AI aircraft jittering; just like CFS3

I've always thought a well made sandbox with a few highly detailed tonka trucks, tractors and cranes to go with it and then allow others to bring in other bits and pieces to be the go, but FSX seems to have been hand in hand with 3rd party developers from the beginning... to get the good stuff that should have been part of FSX from the go get, cost a small fortune.

dunno... some people just seem to like an overstocked stable of planes they're never likely to use and keep pushing for more, instead of pushing for more detailed out of the box planes.

Oleg, I (fwiw) would rather see a few exceptionally detailed planes (systems/ flight mechanics/ atmospherics, etc) than a whole armada of averagely detailed planes. An experience out of the box. so to speak... as FSX was a let down