Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Maybe it is the Corkscrew effect.

http://www.free-online-private-pilot...odynamics.html
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

If it's prop wash or the wind does a little opposite rudder stop the movement? When it tried it this worked.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X 3.33GHz oc'd to 4.50GHz RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz) HDD's: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSDrive and WD 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache GC: x2 GeForce GTX580 1536MB GDDR5 in SLI - Win7 64 Ultimate - X52 Pro - Saitek Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUD View Post
I cant say always, cos i was not paying attention, but very often is accurate.
Ok..

And just to be clear, that is as soon as you spawn in right? I mean even before you fire up the engine it starts to spin

On that note, with the engine and rudder in op dir I am able to stop the spin.. but I never seem to be able to turn aginst the spin (read just cancle the spin)

When I turn into it.. it will turn pretty quickly for a little while, about 20 deg.. but than stop again as in no effect..

So it does have that wind vector feel to it but.. odd like.. sometimes it acts like you would expect and in other cases it dont

all in all makes taxi a nightmare.. typically when I spawn I just punch it and hope there is enough room in front of me to make it

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 09-05-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

To cancel the spin I hold rudder fully deflected and hold brake, increase revs slightly and Spitty turns opposite to spin. When pointing in correct direction release brake, rudder neutral and re apply brakes untill engine or oil temp correct. Take off as per norm for a spitty!

I spawned in a hanger and the spitty still spun around exactly as if it were out of the hanger!

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
Ok..

And just to be clear, that is as soon as you spawn in right? I mean even before you fire up the engine it starts to spin
Right
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Ok..

On that note, with the engine and rudder in op dir I am able to stop the spin.. but I never seem to be able to turn aginst the spin (read just cancle the spin)

When I turn into it.. it will turn pretty quickly for a little while, about 20 deg.. but than stop again as in no effect..

So it does have that wind vector feel to it but.. odd like.. sometimes it acts like you would expect and in other cases it dont

all in all makes taxi a nightmare.. typically when I spawn I just punch it and hope there is enough room in front of me to make it
Launch FMB and set some strong wind flow. Watch your plane turning until face the wind...

But, PLEASE, use some accurate tool to send us proof of that: Cliffs Of Dover have winds...

As one said earlier: it's not a bug, it's the wind...

Funny to see some expert in FM with this kind of trouble. Well, test it yourself:

1) In FMB, set strong wind;

2) let your fighter (109, hurricane, spit) idle and let it face the wind;

3) Start engine, use throttle and rudder;

4) Watch the strong wind acting during taxi.

5) Yes: taxi IS a nightmare in strong wind conditions...

6) You have gusts in CloD too...

Made my day. Thanks!

Last edited by LoBiSoMeM; 09-05-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
Launch FMB and set some strong wind flow. Watch your plane turning until face the wind...

But, PLEASE, use some accurate tool to send us proof of that: Cliffs Of Dover have winds...

As one said earlier: it's not a bug, it's the wind...

Funny to see some expert in FM with this kind of trouble. Well, test it yourself:

1) In FMB, set strong wind;

2) let your fighter (109, hurricane, spit) idle and let it face the wind;

3) Start engine, use throttle and rudder;

4) Watch the strong wind acting during taxi.

5) Yes: taxi IS a nightmare in strong wind conditions...

6) You have gusts in CloD too...

Made my day. Thanks!
LOL!

You poor thing..

Let it go!

Before you pop a blood vessel or something!

LoBiSoMeM I know your still very Very VERY upset with me for disagreeing with you in that 'other' thread..

But you following me around (stalking) looking for an opportunity to respond really sets a new low in hurt feelings..

May I make a recommendation?

You should think twice about posting in a open forum if your going to get so upset that you feel the need to stalk people in the forums just for disagreeing with you.

Just a thought!

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 09-05-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrednael View Post
When you have a plane with the wind blowing from the side it will act like a weathercock (if that's the right word) because of all the wind against the rudder the aircraft will turn into the wind.

But if you start the engine wouldn't the prop wash be much stronger than the wind? In ROF the propwash is modeled nicely so you can lift the tail from the ground while you are standing still when you have full throttle selected. And when you land and you're going the wrong way you can make the rudder more effective when you turn the engine back on.

I have stood behind prop aircraft in real life, and the prop wash is really strong. even with pretty 'weak' engines (engine of a glider (ash25mi) probably has something like 45hp)

Agree with you, propwash effect should be stronger in CoD, maybe stronger than the RoF one, because of powerful engines and propellers... And I say that comparing to real life, not just comparing a simulator with another.

Once I stood behind a B-25 taxiing in an airshow, it was about 30 meters away and I almost fell to the ground (minute 2:20):

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
LOL!

You poor thing..

Let it go!

Before you pop a blood vessel or something!

LoBiSoMeM I know your still very Very VERY upset with me for disagreeing with you in that 'other' thread..

But you following me around (stalking) looking for an opportunity to respond really sets a new low in hurt feelings..

May I make a recommendation?

You should think twice about posting in a open forum if your going to get so upset that you feel the need to stalk people in the forums just for disagreeing with you.

Just a thought!
Ok, but do you understand that isn't a bug, but wind acting?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
Ok, but do you understand that isn't a bug, but wind acting?
Well one thing we know for sure, it is not sun spots!