Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Ali Fish

not really been following this thread since my last comments. but anyway. there seems to be a related bug that gives the impression that the texture qualities are changing. lately on full max settings ive been seeing dodgy plane textures. but as i say theres a bug in there causing this. possibly a memory related thing.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

Make sure in your confing file your RenderTargetQual= is set to 3

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougandtoni View Post
Hi How do you go about getting new config files? Cheers
go to your

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

folder and delete all the config files, they will restore themselves but you will loose all settings that you have changed. It also doesn not hurt to go into the "cache" folder and delete all files in there (but not the folder "shaders"!).
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
go to your

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

folder and delete all the config files, they will restore themselves but you will loose all settings that you have changed. It also doesn not hurt to go into the "cache" folder and delete all files in there (but not the folder "shaders"!).
Awsome. Thank you for your help
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
not really been following this thread since my last comments. but anyway. there seems to be a related bug that gives the impression that the texture qualities are changing. lately on full max settings ive been seeing dodgy plane textures. but as i say theres a bug in there causing this. possibly a memory related thing.
I saw this too before we got the option to downgrade texture quality, it seemed like there was not enough video RAM to load everything at once and it was loading partially in stages: first a blurry texture, then a slightly better one and so on.

This was more noticeable on the more complex twin engined cockpits.

Since the patch that added the option to downgrade texture quality i haven't been getting this at all in single seaters, probably there's enough VRAM available to load the cockpits in one go now that i've downgraded the landscape textures .
I still get an initial occurrence of it the first time i spawn into a bomber, but then it's probably cached and it's ok for the remainder of missions i fly on the same aircraft.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I saw this too before we got the option to downgrade texture quality, it seemed like there was not enough video RAM to load everything at once and it was loading partially in stages: first a blurry texture, then a slightly better one and so on.

This was more noticeable on the more complex twin engined cockpits.

Since the patch that added the option to downgrade texture quality i haven't been getting this at all in single seaters, probably there's enough VRAM available to load the cockpits in one go now that i've downgraded the landscape textures .
I still get an initial occurrence of it the first time i spawn into a bomber, but then it's probably cached and it's ok for the remainder of missions i fly on the same aircraft.
I've seen it occasionally too, more frequently on twin-engines. Ali & I were discussing it a week or two back and came to the conclusion that it might be an LOD issue. Planes only render fully at a certain distance; it seems as though occasionally it applies the lower texture resolution to the player airframe (as if it were being seen at a distance), before 'switching up' to the full res texture.

While the issue doesn't seem to happen very often, I wonder if it might be related to high GPU/CPU load. I've noticed that on quitting the game, launcher.exe sometimes takes several minutes to shutdown & vanish from the active tasks list (often resulting in two or more launcher.exe's running simultaneously), and there's been speculation of memory leaks (not clearing the loaded AI at the end of a mission, leading to noticeable performance degradation over time) in the mission system. This gradual degradation could hog up enough memory to cause issues with the LOD engine during sustained play; texture load glitches like this would be exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to see.

Last edited by Orpheus; 06-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.