Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

THanks guys!!! That's more detail than I imagined.

??? What??!!
Are you guys saying that in the Cliff of Dover, not everything are simulated?? That they still simplfied a few things??
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker1985 View Post
??? What??!!
Are you guys saying that in the Cliff of Dover, not everything are simulated?? That they still simplfied a few things??
The game already very detailed, but yes, things were simplified, or omitted... isn't ready yet, but the developers working on it.

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Not sure if its something left out or simplied, or simply a function we have no use for yet. I think I read somewhere that the hand pump was for fuel, but only necessary in cold weather (not sure why). So perhaps, due to the current game being France in the summer, it just something we don't see functioning.
There are special procedures onto a cold start, but it not concerns the fuel pressure. At every engine start, in all weather, you should use the fuel pump, if the fuel pressure under 0,5 atü (~0,5 kg/cm2) (in the E manual 0,5 atü, in the G-2 manual 0,3 atü).
Later (for example in G-2), you have electric fuel pump, but you can access the manual fuel pump through the inspection hatch underneath the forward section of the fuselage.

The gear emergency opening:
I just now tested, the manual pump helps the emergency opening in the game really. The notzug "system" is a simple cable, which releases a lock. The gear falls out with the help of the gravity if there is not oil pressure already in the cylinder. Anyway, not exist manual pump in the hydraulics system (one pump is on the engine), but has exist in the fuel system.
This is a bug then...

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Approved Member

Thanks guys for the patiently explainations, but now I have a few more stupid questions.

Due to my only piston engine plane experience was in the IL-2 forgoten battle and 1946. There were a lot of thing were not important back then but they are important now.
For exapmle, what is the differences between the oil pressure and the fuel pressure?? And what is the difference between the oil Temperature and the fuel Temperature?? All of them didn't seems important back then. Plus there are Oxygen Altitude and Oxygen Quantity, they didn't seem working in the COD.
And there are Voltmeter and Ammeter, there were there since the original IL-2. But didn't seem do anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Approved Member

Oxygen indicators concern the pilot. Currently not functional, hopefully we'll get it at some point (it limits the amount of time one can fly at high altitudes).
Usually, the pilot would set his altitude and a semi-automatic system would maintain the correct oxygen ratio, but it was also possible to go to full oxygen for high-G maneuvering (i think it improves G tolerance/diminishes adverse G effects).

For example in the RAF fighters there are two gauges, one is the set altitude (changed by the butterfly valve) and the other is the amount of oxygen remaining.

The voltmeter measures the voltage of the on-board battery, it's an indication of your battery capacity.

The Ammeter measures how much electrical current passes through the instrument. Depending on where the instrument is located within the circuit, it could be measuring how much current is produced (if it's wired directly after the generator) or how much current actually reaches the battery (if it's wired right before the battery).

I think most of the times they were wiring it the second way to show "surplus" current, that is, the left-over amperage that reaches the battery after all of the electrical systems have taken their draw. This is useful for two reasons:
a) you can see if your battery is charging or discharging (in the event of negative amperage)
b) you can judge failures in electrical systems by seeing if turning things on results in a drop of indicated amperage.

Let's say we're flying an aircraft with electrically operated flaps, like the Fw-190. If we try to move the flaps and the ammeter is wired to show "surplus" current, then the indication should drop because the flaps draw some current and less amperage reaches the battery. If the indicator stays steady, then it's either a malfunction in the instrument itself or the flaps have failed and are not drawing power at all.

All this is extra useful in cases of generator failure (which can itself be judged if the amperage is abnormally low or negative and the voltmeter is decreasing when electrical systems are used), because the amount of battery capacity can be the difference between having your flaps usable for landing or not. Flying with a failed generator would indicate zero amperage if all electrical systems are shut off and negative values if anything electrical was turned on. In the second case, the voltmeter indication would gradually decline as well.

Correlating the data between the two, the pilot would turn off as many electrical systems as possible to keep the amperage as close to zero as possible (neither charging, since our generator has failed, nor discharging). Then, when setting up for the approach the pilot would check the voltmeter to see if the battery has enough "juice" to lower his electrically operated flaps.

I'm not entirely sure but i think the ammeter is functional in the RAF aircraft (haven't tested electrical systems much so i can't say about other aircraft). For example try turning on the lights, it might indicate a tiny drop.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Approved Member

Thanks guys. Now I know everything I needed. All I need to do now is remember everything you guys told me and no more embarrase movement for me.

Thanks again and let's keep in touch.

I hope this thread can be of help for other pilots who are fresh out of the IL-2:1946 too.

Last edited by Flanker1985; 08-10-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO101_Tom View Post

The gear emergency opening:
... ... The gear falls out with the help of the gravity if there is not oil pressure already in the cylinder. Anyway, not exist manual pump in the hydraulics system (one pump is on the engine), but has exist in the fuel system.
This is a bug then...
Your findings are confirmed by the manual "BF109E Betriebs- u. Rüstanleitung", page 10, "Fahrwerknotauslösung bei Versagen der Öldruckanlage"

S! Varrattu
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for providing the link for the manual Blackdog, very interesting reading.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsarturi View Post
Thank you for providing the link for the manual Blackdog, very interesting reading.
If interest the technical publications like this, I suggest it then browse on this sites:
Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner
Deutscheluftwaffe.de/Archiv documents

Possible to find free downloads on the internet, but these a very detailed, superb lists.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Thank you all very much for these details they help a great deal for a Pilot Candidate like myself. Much appreciated.