Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

C'mon guys. It's not that hard to use and yes you have to make some adjustments to see through it. It's part of the simulation. If you want center mount sights go fly British.

Germans didn't just close the left eye, they also had to move their head to the right and forward ever so slightly.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Please refer to this thread I started on a similar topic a while ago.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21600

I did the effort to draw a picture in order to better illustrate why the current setup is NOT really realistic.

For simplicity I repost the drawing here.

The red curve is the approximate curve of my TrackIR profile. It indicates the SPEED with which TrackIR transforms my head movement into game. So for a head displacement of x cm I get a displacement velocity of y pixel/s. But as y is speed the displacement ingame obtained for a displacement of x cm is not z pixel with z = k*x (k being a constant factor to translate head displacement into pixel displacement) but it is x0 + k*x^2 so the square of the displacement. You can easily deduce that the further the displacement the quicker the movement I obtain ingame. So being off-centre the slightest head movement, even if it is just because I cannot hold my head that steady has so much more impact than on centre.

So for centre sights you have to fight:
- head shake due to manoeuvering and g-effects

For off-centre sights you have to fight:
- head shake due to manoeuvering and g-effects
- big impact on sight due to slightly unsteady physical head

Your body does NOT have a different displacement speed wether you lean to the right or not at all.

TrackIR DOES have a different displacement speed wether you lean to the right or not at all.

This makes off-centre sights much more difficult to aim with than centre sights. If in reality it would have been equally more difficult to aim with an off-centre sight the Germans would have quickly moved it to the centre. Proof that it was no deal at all is that the off-centre position was used till the end.

Proposed solution that should accomodate everybody imho:

- For aiming I lean sideways so that I can see the circle.

- I press a button that "saves" the position as long as I keep the button pushed. I can look around like normally and like in any other plane with no shift+f1. But when I return to forward view I am in the "saved" position as long as the button is still pressed.

- When I am done with aiming I release button and I jump back to cockpit centred view.

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 04-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

Keep it the way it is, please
As Kimosabi (and in different words Cheesehawk) said...it is part of the simulation

No trained marksman ever closes an eye.

Last edited by KDN; 04-20-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
C'mon guys. It's not that hard to use and yes you have to make some adjustments to see through it. It's part of the simulation. If you want center mount sights go fly British.

Germans didn't just close the left eye, they also had to move their head to the right and forward ever so slightly.

Can anyone top this post?

Stay tuned!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Oh come on, stormcrow,
just practice a little with your TrackIR and soon there won't be a reason to change a thing.
shouldn't be too hard to lean left a little for shooting.
quite a good exercise to keep your head steady. if you can not do it you really should practise..
or you try to tweak your trackIR profile.
always try to find the mistake on your end first.
I think the present solution works very well, no need to change.
sorry.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

How conservative you all are

I make a proposition that allows everyone to aim his fashion (it won't even prevent you to use the current way), which is at LEAST as realistic as current state if not more realistic, but all you do is to pressume falsely that I don't have enough flight time with the 109.

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 04-20-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

I like it the way it is.

It makes the German fighters feel different.

It works just fine for me with 6DOF TrackIR 5

Lean a little to the right - presto - crosshairs.

In all the years of Il2, I have to admit - I never heard this one.

S!

Gunny
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Because in IL2 old you got view through off-centre sight by shift+f1 without limitation of virtual head movement
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Approved Member

Like most of you have already stated, leave it the way it is. Put a little time in and tweak your TrackIr profiles or use the required buttons to do the job. This is a simulation not a semi-lation.

F
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixma View Post
Seriously.

Over a decade of faffing about with Shift-F1, leaning over, loosening straps or whatever...i'm weary of it. Just place the damned thing in the centre of the dash! Is anyone really going to be put out by such a minor concession to usability?

Realism be hanged in this instance.
You haven't bin round these har parts fer long pilgrim! Have ye?