Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

@Dwagginz; Yeah I remember that they had this crazy idea of adding to almost all the units a second variation with little colors changes and tweaks (or was it a mod?)

Over the years they will look at new countries to develop games, not just in eastern europe or Northern asia (Russia). They are cheaper to produce and the people there have ideas that are fresh or add variety to a saturated market.
They will also make games that appeal to other audiences (adults or older people) with more mature themes (not tits XD). Think of Wii but done correct.

King's Bounty for the LOLZ!!

Last edited by onepiece; 09-29-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiece View Post
@Dwagginz; Yeah I remember that they had this crazy idea of adding to almost all the units a second variation with little colors changes and tweaks (or was it a mod?)
Official expansion, I think it was the second one. It added units like the Paokai (From Dark Messiah Might & Magic) and a new upgrade per unit, which was usually a very nice remodel of the base unit. They did differ from the original upgrade, but I think it was often more of a "One has higher defence and morale, the other has higher attack and crit chance". I've got a booklet somewhere detailing all of the units :p

Quote:
Over the years they will look at new countries to develop games, not just in eastern europe or Northern asia (Russia). They are cheaper to produce and the people there have ideas that are fresh or add variety to a saturated market.
They will also make games that appeal to other audiences (adults or older people) with more mature themes (not tits XD). Think of Wii but done correct.
I'll be honest - I enjoyed Divinity 2 and KB:AP more than quite a lot of non-European/Russian releases. I think European/Russian games have a charm about them that's lacking in the more popular releases. I think Kirill Pokrovsky had something to do with the excellence of Divinity 2, though :p
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
I, personally, think Katauri could take another bit of inspiration from Nival's HoMM V and make the second/upgraded unit look similar, but different. I'm sure that very few unit upgrades were straight recolours, and once you added the expansions you had two or three different models per unit (Succubi, for example, came in 3 variations), even if the major difference was the removal/addition of visual effects.

I see your point about high profile games, but on the other hand if you look at, as you said, UbiSoft, publishers are looking at "outside" talent. HoMM V was Nival, MM:H VI is by Black Hole (Budapest). There's a lot of talent in Eastern Europe and Russia with studios like Katauri and CDProjekt RED and hopefully over the years we'll see a bigger uptake of them.
The thing is, if you want to do such things, you need to make a detailed model, and then make some of its "parts" disappear by deleting the alpha layer. In fact, KB did this too. Check Thorns and Royal Thorns - Royals have these spines and spikes on them. Or the various spiders - each one has different extremities. Orcs and Veteran Orcs differ by Veterans having the totem pole on their backs.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

@Dwagginz, Probably since the soundtrack for Divinity 2 is awesome. Love it.

Must be because in those territories the way of seeing things and the mythology associated with it is different and it allows for games different than the usual american/japanese ones we've had for the last 20 years; which are seriously most of the same know and you can count the original ones with the fingers in one hand (not for the indie games which are more innovative and fresh).

@BB; I suppose you're right since a good portion of the "upgraded" units have some more/less details and small changes.
The thing is that when you have a lot of units and many are very similar, you fell as if they just have like 10 basic models and with that they create 30 units (not in the game just an example).
I suppose it makes it easier and cheaper to program and work for the developers but it tends to get a little bit tiresome. And since most of the models where introduced with TL, they fell "heavy" now.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Approved Member

Funny thing is, for a long time I thought the red and emerald green dragons were the same 3D model - I only realized they were totally different when once I faced all three in battle. Nice work, Nival!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
@BB; I suppose you're right since a good portion of the "upgraded" units have some more/less details and small changes.
The thing is that when you have a lot of units and many are very similar, you fell as if they just have like 10 basic models and with that they create 30 units (not in the game just an example).
I suppose it makes it easier and cheaper to program and work for the developers but it tends to get a little bit tiresome. And since most of the models where introduced with TL, they fell "heavy" now.
That should be enough of a reason for a "KB2", if we're going to call it that. I'm sure Katauri have learnt a lot from these three games, and if they apply it to a KB2, it'd be great.

I hope they'd give us a better choice of characters, though.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

More customization (maybe change the appearance of the hero or different models for each class; both male and female).
A new class would be very appreciated (because now the skill tree looks very saturated; maybe expand them?)

More classes of "helpers", not just from the other sex (like the guild heroes from the arena, so you can "buy" new "helpers"?)

I don't know of you fell about this but I would like a more complex role for the "helper" in battle (control some units of his own maybe) and would ask for more 2 vs battles.

Make some battle more "special"; 10 turn limit or the enemy get new units every x rounds, no magic/rage, etc.. to add a little variety

More funny situations (as in TL) but also some more serious things (as in AP/CW). More engaging second characters (is there even 1 in the games?)

A better exploration system that takes the ships from AP (fast movement) with the big settings and continuity from TL. Some new lands never seen before (jungle, desert, etc.)

Better description for the items

Last edited by onepiece; 09-30-2010 at 05:33 PM.