Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
And yet, 10 years after release, the only CFS with a more complex damage model is Rise of Flight, which has had some major bugs in that respect.
You forgot a few. Both DCS instalments, Black Shark and A-10 have way more advanced damage model. I don't even think CoD will come close to this. Some planes in Targetware were very good in translating damage to components along the bullet's flight path and it was easy to check in the log by everyone.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
You forgot a few. Both DCS instalments, Black Shark and A-10 have way more advanced damage model. I don't even think CoD will come close to this. Some planes in Targetware were very good in translating damage to components along the bullet's flight path and it was easy to check in the log by everyone.
There is no way in hell this is true. Everyone who plays both games agree that the damage modeling is pretty much the biggest shortfall of both games since it's quite simplified.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
There is no way in hell this is true. Everyone who plays both games agree that the damage modeling is pretty much the biggest shortfall of both games since it's quite simplified.
I haven't played either DCS sim, but what I have heard and seen in trailers corresponds with what speculum jockey said.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF View Post
And no aluminium skin to deflect some energy from the rounds, before hitting the tank?
I dunno, were blenheims fabric covered? My Blenheim knowledge is practically zero...

And just to add to the DM argument.. CoD will have the most advanced DM around - end of. (It's probably the main reason we're not going to see 100+ bomber formations initially)

Last edited by winny; 02-19-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Approved Member

Well, you seem to forget about a thing called convergence.
At optimum range all eight mgs would hit one spot, with high rof.
This really should be devastating IMO.

I heard in CoD they're boosting mgs and nerfing the cannons, compared to '46 ofc.

If it is true, the times when it was better to have one cannon on board, rather than eight mgs, are unfortunately over.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 AM
speculum jockey

As for aluminum skins deflecting and dissipating energy from MG rounds, yes and no.

Aluminum is a very soft metal and bullets have little to not trouble penetrating multiple layers of it. Sure you can have a bullet impact at a very extreme angle or at the end of its effective range, but for the most part rounds keep on trucking. A guy I know went out to the bush to test out a new (new to him, but old) .30-30 rifle. This is pretty much the weakest .30 cal rifle out there. He accidentally (negligently) put a round through the side of his mini-van and it went clear out the other side. It went through the outer panel, through one of the support beam leading to the roof, through the plastic casing, through the entire second row passenger seat (metal frame, 4 feet of foam, and then through the other side's plastic casing, support frame, and outer panel.

Bullets do a lot of strange things, but against soft or thin metals they usually go straight through and only vary their trajectory slightly. Hence He-111's coming back intact, but with mostly dead crewmembers.

In your typical WWII airframe the only things that are going to stop them are armour plates, metal cylinders, the engine, or other hard metal fixtures that are not part of the actual airframe and shell.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnigruH View Post
I heard in CoD they're boosting mgs and nerfing the cannons, compared to '46 ofc.
What, from a friend of a friend of a friend?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
I dunno, were blenheims fabric covered? My Blenheim knowledge is practically zero...
the Blenheim was full metall fuselage.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
What, from a friend of a friend of a friend?
Could be.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Remember that you cannot compare results in IL2 with CoD.

IL2's damage model, while state of the art in 2001 is now very out of date, and actually rather simple when compared to the new sim.

Just be prepared for the whines of "The .303s are UBER!!!" by Jerry, who will not take into account that there will literally be hundreds more things that can be damaged in the new sim. (Shooting individual spark plugs, or the pilot oxygen system, for example).
Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think the above comments are the case