Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Approved Member

Well I think it looks excellent, but then I am capable of remembering that this is a game on a computer, unlike many contributors to this forum.

Thanks for the update, Oleg.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Great shots Oleg, thanks

One small observation - on a speeding plane I'd expect the flame to be more streamlined, hugging the wing surface and trailing out behind. I'm referring to the fiery bursts above the wing surface in the second shot. This probably wouldn't be as noticeable in a video though.

Very nice fire effects. It looks really hot.

Have a great holiday.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Approved Member

I think it's difficult to make constructive criticisms of details like fire and tracers when the only evidence is a frozen moment in an ongoing action. The true extent of the visual accuracy will only be apparent when the game is on the hard drive of your own machine, and I'm willing to bet that the final effects will be several leaps beyond the already stunning ten-year-old sim that most of us know so well.

I don't even worry too much about the opening version of BoB which we are all looking forward to. As a constant 'flier' since Sturmovik became available I've always felt well-supported by the fact that updates, add-ons and corrections have been plentiful. Oleg Maddox and his team have proved their willingness to improve the sim in line with technological improvements in computing many times over - as well as keeping the game available to people with less than leading-edge PCs. This alone is a great achievement.

I'm really looking forward to jumping into Storm of War. I'll leave nit-picking until I have the finished article in my hand and I've tasted action.

Thanks for the updates Oleg, and I hope you return to us refreshed and raring to go.

<S>

Brando
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

@kgwanchos

I am not lecturing Oleg, I do not have this pretention...I explain for the people who are not aware of these aspects...the tracer issue was already there in Il2...the screen shot is not taken using a camera and should show the tracer for the dots they are, nothing else...but this is only my opinion!

@swiss

I agree but do not forget they were less tracers in WWII than nowadays (presumably tracers were more expensive?) and the rates of fire were also lower so the tracers were more clearly separated! Did you see this tracer firing directly IRL, without a camera intermediary?
At altitude you should not be able (or barely) to see tracers if fired toward you from in front of you (almost no light scattering compared to lower atmospheric layers close to the ground). In Il2 you see tracers from 10 km away like they were fireworks!

I understand however there may be compelling reasons to not being completely faithful to reality on this subject, but I prefer pointing it out now than after the game release..you never know!

Last edited by JVM; 07-23-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the update.
One note though: I guess explosions/fires are not final, right?
They don't look that good yet. Too red maybe? I don't know what seems wrong to me, but I think you should work more on them.

Once again, thanks!

Edit: Just saw that other guys mentioned fires as well.

Last edited by HFC_Dolphin; 07-23-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

The age old tracers debate

So long as they are useful to me as a simulator pilot I'm not going to complain too much. I hope everyone remembers that tracers look like lasers because we all saw StarWars at some point or another and StarWars is based on World War II air combat videos. Real laser beams travel at the speed of light in a continuous stream rather than defined pulses like a tracer (but unlike StarWars).

The pictures themselves look great. I think it's sometimes silly to complain about the visuals of an explosion until it's seen in motion. Often the various frames of an animation have an overall effect that cannot be seen from a single frame.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Oleg!

Amazing as always. Wishing you good luck in the final efforts of finishing!

S!

Gunny
Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Default This will be the greatest simulation- EVER!

Enjoy your vacation Oleg!

I hope Luthier is OK.

Great work!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
Did you see this tracer firing directly IRL, without a camera intermediary?
IRL?

Yes, with my own eyes, no camera or night vision device.

Quote:
At altitude you should not be able (or barely) to see tracers if fired toward you from in front of you
Of course not.
Well I guess, in fact i cant tell - I've never been in this position I really never want to...

My 45° agrees are based on 0° when directly behind/gunner sight.

Quote:
In Il2 you see tracers from 10 km away like they were fireworks!
Of course, but since we have no recon maps or radio contact to ground units, this is our only way of recon.

Quote:
Real laser beams travel at the speed of light in a continuous stream rather than defined pulses like a tracer (but unlike StarWars)
Check out Babylon 5.

Last edited by swiss; 07-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

This thing isn't out yet?
Closed Thread