Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

So I managed to take off in a Hurricane thanks to Jimbosmith's vid, but when I'm flying the engine puffs out some black smoke and the plane shakes a bit every now and then. It's more frequent when I fly higher up, and it seems that at least at low altitude this can be prevented by putting the mixture to around 75%. At higher altitudes I can currently only reduce this by putting the throttle to about 50-60% and messing about with the mixture. At around ten thousand feet I can't stop this from happening at all.

Could someone please tell me what's happening, and how I can control this better? I'm a total noob when it comes to engine management.
(Also, this and silly channel dogfights are keeping the game quite entertaining until I can upgrade my rather outdated PC and/or the performance gets patched up. I'm really enjoying this game so far!)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVonHammer View Post
Still no go here in starting the Hurri:
Pitch to low for less work for engine startup.
Magnetos on.
Fuel Cock.
Fuel mixture rvich.
Hand Pump 5-10 times.
Start Engine.
Puff, nothing.

109 on the other hand, immediately starts using exact same procedure.

Anybody? :S

EDIT: Ok, now the Hurri started, I did nothing but same procedure as above, after about 20 tries in one mission (As in, just one flight, no restarts, no exits, etc)

The Spit on the other hand, when I adjust Prop Pitch and Mixture on that, the levers just goes ON-OFF :S And ofcourse, no chance in hell of getting it started up :S
I do near everything the same as you. yet i dont use the handpump but set my throttle to 10 or 20 percent. its rather sensitive. you have to get it right. I also close the radiator and let it run for a minute. then slowly increase throttle with brakes on listening to the engine that it doesnt blurp out. then when rpm comes up i try to get 2000 rpm watching the temp still rise. I then open radiator and let her rip.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Approved Member

Keep the I button pressed till the damn thing runs
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Approved Member

Heck, I cannot even figure out how to get into a plane on the ground! All the quick missions or singe missions start as air launch? How to start on the ground?

Fang
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
Heck, I cannot even figure out how to get into a plane on the ground! All the quick missions or singe missions start as air launch? How to start on the ground?

Fang
Do the cross country quick mission, choose different aircraft
Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinda View Post
I do near everything the same as you. yet i dont use the handpump but set my throttle to 10 or 20 percent. its rather sensitive. you have to get it right. I also close the radiator and let it run for a minute. then slowly increase throttle with brakes on listening to the engine that it doesnt blurp out. then when rpm comes up i try to get 2000 rpm watching the temp still rise. I then open radiator and let her rip.
Yeah it`s important to heat the engine up before firewalling it, or one might be in for a surprise hehe.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf Ace! View Post
So I managed to take off in a Hurricane thanks to Jimbosmith's vid, but when I'm flying the engine puffs out some black smoke and the plane shakes a bit every now and then. It's more frequent when I fly higher up, and it seems that at least at low altitude this can be prevented by putting the mixture to around 75%. At higher altitudes I can currently only reduce this by putting the throttle to about 50-60% and messing about with the mixture. At around ten thousand feet I can't stop this from happening at all.

Could someone please tell me what's happening, and how I can control this better? I'm a total noob when it comes to engine management.
(Also, this and silly channel dogfights are keeping the game quite entertaining until I can upgrade my rather outdated PC and/or the performance gets patched up. I'm really enjoying this game so far!)
I'm not entirely up to speed with the exact numbers but you are right about the mixture. the higher you go the leaner the mix needs to be. Have you decreased mix lower than 75 percent at higher altitudes? BTW there is a paragraph about setting your mixture according to the colour of the exhaust flames. Blue short is good. reddish orange i think is too rich. long blue flames is to lean i think. might be the other way round. short blue is most definately correct mix though.

Aah 10.000 feet. I believe I read in the manual this is the ceiling for this plane. or was it 10.000 meters??? You might want to check the charts. Also I get shaking at lower altitudes as well. I think i have everything as realistic as possible so there might be turbulence etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Approved Member

I also managed to get off the ground with the Spitfire and ME-109, what had helped me was having FSX and the A2A Wings of Power and Just Flight simulations Spit. Re-read the flying manual in both and away I went. The Hurricane should be no bother as well as it used the same fuel, engine and prop as the Spit ...................
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinda View Post
I'm not entirely up to speed with the exact numbers but you are right about the mixture. the higher you go the leaner the mix needs to be. Have you decreased mix lower than 75 percent at higher altitudes? BTW there is a paragraph about setting your mixture according to the colour of the exhaust flames. Blue short is good. reddish orange i think is too rich. long blue flames is to lean i think. might be the other way round. short blue is most definately correct mix though.

Aah 10.000 feet. I believe I read in the manual this is the ceiling for this plane. or was it 10.000 meters??? You might want to check the charts. Also I get shaking at lower altitudes as well. I think i have everything as realistic as possible so there might be turbulence etc.
King is right...the higher you go the more you need to lower (lean) the mixture. Less oxygen in the air means you need less fuel for combustion..this is why you keep lowering the throttle when you leave the mixture at 75%. You can lean it out as you go higher, when the engine starts to run a little rough bump the mixture up a notch or 2. Now you can still open your throttle up high!! Happy hunting
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

I made a little vid that shows how to get a BF109 E3 started on take off using Full CEM.