Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

This is because the Kommandogerät reduces prop pitch to minimum as you throttle back. A windmilling prop is one of the biggest drag sources, and this way it is eliminated. You will get equally poor deceleration from other clean, heavy planes if you reduce pitch to 0% while landing. Try the P-51 with 0% pitch, it's hardly any different.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

So I assume manual pitch is the solution, since you generally want that 100% pitch in case stuff goes bad, right?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
So I assume manual pitch is the solution, since you generally want that 100% pitch in case stuff goes bad, right?
Use your rudder and/or circle before landing. How hard can it be to adapt?...
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Combine manual PP and slip.
I even use manual PP to land the 109 - it's an excellent airbrake.

I suggest you guys fly, or better; land the Arado234 a bit more.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Approved Member

I have no trouble landing the plane, it's just weird how it doesn't slow down the way it use to. The 109 also has Kommandogerät and does not suffer from this.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo. View Post
The 88% is not a bug, it's a feature as stated in the guide.
Thanks Robo
For not letting me look like a fool for reporting a feature as a bug

EAF331 are recruting.
We are a nordic Sqd (Norway, Sweeden, Finland, Denmark) within European Airforce. www.europeanaf.org . Please pm me if you are interested.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

I have always spent the majority of my IL2 time flying for the Luftwaffe or the US Navy. With the previous, my aircraft of choice was the 109G-6A/S. This is the pinnacle of 109 development IMHO, as she still has some of the maneuverability of her predecessors, and the gun package of her successors. This was the case, until 4.11 that is!!! I took the up rated 190A-4 out for a spin, and fell in love. I had always read pilot accounts of the 190 and the previous FM just didn't jive with what was stated. Maneuverability and Fw190 go hand in hand in those accounts, but didn't in IL2. The 190 is now a real fighter. You still don't want to hang her on a wing at low alt with no speed, just like any other fighter. But with some E, she will turn like nobodys business. Your first few circles in an angles fight will surprise you, she doesn't buffet at the slightest elevator movement. The flight is smooth and you can really get maximum performance out of her. I am about to start a new career as a 190 pilot, and my namesake will be proud with the multitude of aircraft I destroy in it!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
I have no trouble landing the plane, it's just weird how it doesn't slow down the way it use to. The 109 also has Kommandogerät and does not suffer from this.
Good point.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

One more thing about this - Kommandogerät was a kind of automatic gearbox, keeping the engine RPM within optimal values to avoid overheating the engine. If I throttle back fully, the engine goes to low RPM, why would the prop pitch go down? There is no risk of overheating.

@Kittle, I'm no expert on WWII war-birds, but all those people who used to complain about the 190s just couldn't fly them right. The accounts say it was a manoeuvrable and fast fighter, true. But manoeuvrable is subjective. It was manoeuvrable for a boom and zoom fighter which it was, at high speed and high altitude with insane roll-rate. All that was true with the previous versions of the game, if anyone thought otherwise, they were probably doing it wrong. If you get into a turn fight with a spit, you're dead meat. Now... well the 190s seem more like the Lavockins now, overpowered.

One has to understand that the way most people play the game, was not the way Luftwaffe pilots flew, the manuals said clearly, pilots are advised not to get into a fight unless from an advantageous position (high and fast). Boom and zoom was the German doctrine since WWI.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Just flew the non-boosted A4 in a couple career missions. I found that in a fight, I can cut the throttle in a dive and gain speed like I chopped the prop pitch too. The way it seems to me, the pitch and throttle are connected. You reduce power, pitch is reduced to match. Honestly, I am not as skilled at CEM as I need to be, so I don't know if this is proper or not.

I can say, the flying a fight ability has been multiplied 2 fold. I got 4 kills in the first two mission. One of which was on an I-16 that avoided my first burst during a bounce. He made a sharp right hand turn, and I followed at high speed. I stayed right with him and nailed him with a deflection shot a 170 meters. Total for this scramble, 2x I-16, 1x Yak-7B.

Next mission, we met 8 P-39N-1s at 3000 meters or so. Again, with my speed high enough, I could turn inside any P-39 that avoided my initial attack. Used the sun and the lower read blind spot to sneak up on and explode in midair the only kill I got on this mission, I really love the new spotting routines. You know when you are behind a rookie, as they might just fly straight and level when under attack, twitching the wings while freaking out!!! You also know when you meet a vet, the flight pairs that split up to sandwich you when you attack them. Yeah, IL2 is going to see a lot more play time from me, that's for sure!!!

@ mmaruda - You are correct about the tactical doctrine for the LW in WWII. What I was referring to is the pilots saying that, under the right circumstances, they could turn with and inside any soviet fighter aircraft. I am not talking about a fur ball here either, I am talking about BnZ. When you make your attack, if the enemy sees you, maneuver becomes necessary. I could not coax the 190 around more then 90 degrees of turn at speed before. If I eased her enough to not have an accelerated stall, the turn rate was so bad it wasn't usable for me in BnZ. Now, if my quarry sees me during the attack and breaks, I can stay with him long enough to kill him and not loose all my E. Granted, I am not going to try to dogfight I-16s at 200km/h on the deck and expect to win. But I can stay with their 300 km/h turn when I am at 500km/h with no problem, just how it should be IMHO

Last edited by Kittle; 01-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.