Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > FMB, Mission & Campaign builder Discussions

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
when you click on the Cliffs of Dover campaign you should see a splash screen on the right with 'REDUX' on it. If you can see this you have the new version installed
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to this!

Flying online as Setback.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Approved Member

Installation was very quick and easy, I've only played the first two missions so far which were a blast, fantastic work. Loved they way the 109s come diving in on the second mission! Wanted to say thanks very much for the work to bring us a better offline campaign.

The stock single player campaign that CLoD came with was a huge disappointment and although I prefer multiplayer online action it is a key area the devs really neglected and I know put a lot of prospective gamers off purchasing CLoD (that and the early performance issues). Hopefully with work like this more and more people will come back to CLoD.

One thing related to the campaign - is there a reason we have 87 octane fighters for a BoB campaign rather than the 100 Octane variants? I've only played the first two missions so far but they are BoB and in August and so the Hurricanes should be 100 Octane.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder! View Post
Installation was very quick and easy, I've only played the first two missions so far which were a blast, fantastic work. Loved they way the 109s come diving in on the second mission! Wanted to say thanks very much for the work to bring us a better offline campaign.

The stock single player campaign that CLoD came with was a huge disappointment and although I prefer multiplayer online action it is a key area the devs really neglected and I know put a lot of prospective gamers off purchasing CLoD (that and the early performance issues). Hopefully with work like this more and more people will come back to CLoD.

One thing related to the campaign - is there a reason we have 87 octane fighters for a BoB campaign rather than the 100 Octane variants? I've only played the first two missions so far but they are BoB and in August and so the Hurricanes should be 100 Octane.

Cheers.
True most Hurricane at that time were rotol and 100 Octane. A small slip maybe to be corrected?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Approved Member

100 oct?
Edit the files and get on with life.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Approved Member

Is it already decided all Hurricanes were 100 Oct? I found this and in August 1940 not all units were on 100 Octane were they?:

Fuel Supplies to The British Empire And It's Commonwealth; Outlook, Ramifications and Projections For The Prosecution Of The War.

"The first bulk shipment of 100 octane fuel had arrived in Britain in June 1939 from the Esso refinery in Aruba. This and subsequent tanker shipments from Aruba, Curacao and the USA were stockpiled while the RAF continued to operate on 87 octane petrol. Having secured what were considered reasonably sufficient quantities of 100 octane, Fighter Command began converting its engines to this standard in March 1940, allowing boost (manifold) pressures to be raised without the risk of detonation in the cylinders. This initial increase in maximum boost from 6 lb to 9 lb delivered a useful power growth of around 130hp at the rated altitude.

By the time of the invasion of the Low Countries by Germany in May 1940 the RAF had converted approximately 25 % of it's total fighter force to 100 octane fuel use. The subsequent escalation in air activity and demands placed upon Fighter Command over the next two months put great strain on both the 100 octane fuel stockpiles and aircraft modified to use the fuel. Against the backdrop of total war the RAF found that it's reserves of 100 octane fuel was well below the level considered necessary for widespread use, for any sustained length of time.

Two actions were immediately undertaken by the British War Cabinet in May to resolve the looming crisis. Firstly 87 octane fuel was deemed the primary fuel source to be used until further supplies could be discovered and delivered in sufficient quantities to allow the Merlin conversions to again take place. Those existing fighters already so converted (approximately 125) would continue to use what supplies of 100 octane were available, but all other fighters that had not been modified to continue with the use of 87 octane (of which there was more than adequate supply). The second action was for the British Government to contract the Shell Oil Refining Company to assist the British-controlled Iraqi Petroleum Company at Kirkuk to produce 100 octane fuel. This arrangement proved quite successful as production was quickly converted to 100 octane fuel.

The first Middle East shipment of 100 octane fuel arrived in Portsmouth on 12th August, with a further two deliveries in September and four in October. Although too late to allow widespread conversion for the use of the fuel the deliveries did ensure that from this point on Britain would not be lacking in 100 octane fuel levels. With the newfound supply RAF Fighter Command again embarked upon a Merlin II and III conversion to 100 octane use from late September, finally achieving 100% conversion of it's fighter force by the end of November in 1940.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Really don't want to derail this thread, I simply asked the question above as I thought there may have been a technical problem including them in the campaign or maybe an oversight. If it is the decision of the author to use 87 octane Hurricanes then that's fine, it's their decision to make. After going through the campaign files I found I could modify my .mis files to include 100 octane Hurricanes as another poster above suggests, so if others want to do so there is that option.

Regarding that particular quote above, it was discussed in many threads before and falls down as the original document referenced has never been found to exist http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...=20110&page=15 If people want to discuss octane in detail I suggest we take it to one of the many preexisting threads.

Back on topic, thanks to the OP for the work on the campaign, I'm having a blast with it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bounder!; 12-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Excuse me for being such a noob, but does this campaign take the place of the original Cliffs of Dover campaign?

Thanks,

binky9
Intel i7 3.4ghz Processor
GTX 780 Graphics Card OC
24GB Ram
Track IR5
50" LG HDMI LED 1920x1080 60hrz
MS FFB2 Stick
CH Pedals
Saitek Throttle/Prop/Mixture and Trim wheel
Thrustmaster MFDs

League City, TX
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Approved Member

Yes.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
Yes.
Thanks, Low Flyer.
Intel i7 3.4ghz Processor
GTX 780 Graphics Card OC
24GB Ram
Track IR5
50" LG HDMI LED 1920x1080 60hrz
MS FFB2 Stick
CH Pedals
Saitek Throttle/Prop/Mixture and Trim wheel
Thrustmaster MFDs

League City, TX
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

I just read the readme (never read the readme) and realised if I turn on a voice info window it will tell me where the enemy aircraft is in the text! English is not my natural so I can never understand what they are saying on the radio. But now I can read it! Hooray. In case anyone else except this idiot did not realise this simple thing. Such as here...

Last edited by planespotter; 12-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.