Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Yeah, I think what TrackIR are trying to do to freetrack is like a supermarket trying to stop you growing your own vegetables in your back garden by sabotaging your seedlings that the friendly farmer gave you.
Its not right and its not fair. You should be able to make something you could otherwise buy, using separate items you bought or were given.

Another example: You buy a ball of wool (LEDs, resistors and batteries). You already have some knitting needles (webcam). Your Gran then teaches you how to knit a scarf (freetrack software). Then along comes someone from Topshop (TrackIR) and breaks your poor gran's hands.
Things are simple: NP can't stop FreeTrack users, because FreeTrack has your own API. But NP maybe give some money to games companies to not give FreeTrack API suport.

Wonders me why Bohemia Interactive can suport FreeTrack after requests and I still reading things like these Nearmiss wrote... I'm alway amazed how NP lies became true to some people. Ask Bohemia Interactive about FreeTrack support, please. They listen to the customers base. Please, read:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79821
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=90969

Let's not spread more NP lies around. If 1C wants, can give FreeTrack suport. It's easy. If 1C receives money from NP, please tell us. The NP customers that pay for an overpriced software will really be glad to know why they have to pay abusive price for a simple thing: cheap IR cam with simple traking software.

Last edited by LoBiSoMeM; 02-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
0 absolutely ZERO, it's perfect
Note to myself:
Buy PS3 eyecam
Rem: No, wait till release of CoD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
I'm alway amazed how NP lies became true to some people.

Repeat it often enough, you'll be amazed who well it works.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
The way I understood it is: Position of point R(Reference LED) to center of head.
Where can you adjust the distance point R to cam?
There is no documentation regards the Transition Sliders ( the ones beneath the Model Point Construction Dimensions) but they can be used to set the optimum position of the LED clip with respect to the camera.

Rather than describe how it works simply do the following:-

1. Power up your LED clip, sit in your preferred position and with the Webcam facing your clip.

2. Start FT, do not press the Centre Hot Key and view the default location of the Skull. You will notice that there are two crosses, One RED the other BLUE, one attached to a fixed point in space and another affixed to the mid point of the skull.

3 Now adjust the Transition sliders in the X, Y and Z axis - the skull will move (in relation to the camera) and you can allign for a perfect default centre to the fixed X Y and Z reference lines.

Why is this included? One reason I suspect is that its bloody hard to actually get your clip in perfect centre to the field of view of the camera as you have to move your head to move the camera.....chasing ones tail never to catch it.....

Secondly, a thousand people could make a 'clip' and not one would be the same.....thats custom building at its best....

I calibrate the exact centre using the Transition Sliders (with a slight bias in the Z axis as I work close to the screen) and have perfect response in all axiz and find that I rarely have to keep re-centring my view ....try it is the best I can advise.

Last edited by SEE; 02-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

If CoD won't support Freetrack, i would really like to know that before the release.

Because i don't plan to buy TrackIR exclusively for CoD when Freetrack works fine with every other game i own.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

The only reason NP are getting away with their position it's because headtracking is a new thing, with a relatively small market. Imagine Logitech trying to stop anyone else from building mices, or rather Logitech making deals with software developers (especially OS) so that any other mouse brand would not work in said software product.

I think it's a safe to say that this kind of monopolistic and anti-competitive bull* would not be tolerated should the European Comission catch wind of this. Rembember the massive fines m$ got just a few years back.

Last edited by Korn; 02-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

I really wonder if anybody has any proof, beside hearsay, that np has done any of those things they are alleged to have done.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
I really wonder if anybody has any proof, beside hearsay, that np has done any of those things they are alleged to have done.
http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.com/

Besides that, why any dev of IL-2:CoD can't answer now the simple question about FreeTrack API support?

Isn't a technical issue, because is easy as hell get the coordinates of FreeTrack API and put into the 6DOF inside IL-2:CoD.

Any word about the subject by Oleg or Luthier? The time is now!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt255 View Post
If CoD won't support Freetrack, i would really like to know that before the release.

Because i don't plan to buy TrackIR exclusively for CoD when Freetrack works fine with every other game i own.
+1, and I consider a lack of consumer respect have my questions about the subject IGNORED by the deav team until now. They talk about engine flames colour, but not about head tracking devices?

Last edited by LoBiSoMeM; 02-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Global Moderator

I don't recall at any time reading anything from the developers of any real substance about head tracking devices, even for IL2. Other than whether they are supported or no.

The community has been the real source of information on headtrackers.

When I read BOB COD was going to support clickable cockpits I immediately had thoughts about how head tracking would be facilitated.

Regardless, the release is in March... A lot of information will be coming our way.

I also use the Freetrack, and to be honest I love it. I've got an excellent setup now and it's exceptional.

Will I be willing to give it up for TrackIR? I will if I have to, and that sums it up. Will I be happy about it? Nope.

Will I boycott BOB COD, because freetrack won't work? Are you friggin' kidding me. I wouldn't give up a world class air combat experience for any headtracker.

I did the IL2 with my left hand on a trackball for several years, before freetrack.

I'll do it again if I have to, but NO I will not spite myself because of any ill temper I have about a headtracker.

=============

I don't see how NaturalPoint has anything they can patent.

I use a trackball mouse. Mouse action can be converted for use with head movement action.

I can move the cursor anywhere I want it with the mouse, so how can such a thing be patented?

Natural point might have the ability to have their own proprietary api on the game software linked to their application software, but I can't see why a freetrack couldn't do the same.

The only issue I would think is providing the api to the developer when the game is developed for it to be included within the game at release.

Last edited by nearmiss; 02-01-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
The only issue I would think is providing the api to the developer when the game is developed for it to be included within the game at release.
It's already available. BIS use FreeTrack API into ArmAII and Operation: Arrowhead.

It's just 6DOF coordinates, not rocket science. That's why I'm concerned about the total lack of devs feedback about that.