Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Battle mode

Battle mode Strategy, hints, questions

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megakill View Post
I ended up having a stack of Giants, and 4 types of different Dragons. Couldn't hire too many, but 11-12 Black Dragons is good enough to kill almost anything that moves.
Wouldn't your Green Dragons morale suffer (if you had them in your troop) if you put it alongside Giants?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Approved Member

These are my favorite units:

Griffin: Excellent damage-dealers because of the unlimited retaliation ability. Just get them in front of the enemy and keep pumping resurrect while your archers shoot the living crap out of the enemy.

Emerald Green Dragon: Both talents are excellent for utility. The area attack spell can easily regenerate 25-30 mana every 3 turns while doing 50-70 damage to every enemy around the dragon. The other talent is also great, you can first make your dragon wait, then at the end of the turn you can make him drag an opponent one square so he's next to his buddies, then use the area attack.

Elven archers (both of them): Simply great damage. not against bone-creatures tho

Inquisitor: I use these to punish the undead, also as far as I know inquisitors have the only spell capable of resurrecting lvl 5 monsters. The other talent which blesses a target and makes it do 50% extra vs undead is also pretty good because of the fact you also get some rage.

Cannoneer: Salvo owns.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Approved Member

A all melee army is a lot easier to use than what some people would think as well.

Right now I have Horsemen, sea dogs, swordsmen, peasants, and polar bears with archers and pirates as my reserves. When you use the "tactics" ability and can push those units out further, you use the peasant for more than just a tank, which is why most people think of them as a "useless" unit. To be honest, starting three hexes out and two rounds later, you got a counter-attacking 1 hit marathon with a pitchfork that some people really don't take advantage of, strongest unit with the highest count that is a tank as well??!! Jeez.... . Using "Haste" on peasants can be good too. Sometimes you want them to get somewhere quicker when they only move up two hexes at a time, but for the most part I find my peasant killing everything too damn quick for me to use "haste" on him more than 1 time.

In addition to having bonuses to these melee classes, I think it's only important to have 1 long range attack throughout the game for many reasons.

You want your characters to take damage, you want them to attack. Once that rage accumulates there are various spells to cast to eliminate single units slowly or all at once so theres no reason to have more than 1 long range taking massive hits, they just get weak, take damage, and then theres more than 1 unit to build back up. I know everyone has noticed "dragons, griffins, and bears, oh my" go straight for your long ranged units.

Using tactics to push your melee units out onto the grid further before the battle starts is one hell of an advantage, alongside with ice thorns. I use those two together going into a battle with the enemy being "Strong" or "match", I don't even lose 1/2 my units. It's all about ganging up on the one guy.

Have the long-range guy finish off the low count units on the opposing side, using defense when necessary and also attacking flying units. Nothing more to that.

Last edited by KuPPeRz; 10-02-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuPPeRz View Post
A all melee army is a lot easier to use than what some people would think as well

In addition to having bonuses to these melee classes, I think it's only important to have 1 long range attack throughout the game for many reasons.

I know everyone has noticed "dragons, griffins, and bears, go straight for your long ranged units.

Using tactics to push your melee units out onto the grid further before the battle starts is one hell of an advantage, alongside with ice thorns. I use those two together going into a battle with the enemy being "Strong" or "match", I don't even lose 1/2 my units. It's all about ganging up on the one guy.
That may be one way to do it but later when you face large stacks in the hundreds you will find your self taking huge loses. The main problem with melee units is retaliation so with a stack of 300+, even if you manage to kill 100 your unit will still take a huge hit, I find it better to use 2-3 range units. Firstly to take out archer and long range attackers, secondly to wilt down large stacks so that my units take less damage and I find it better to leave a stack with 10-20 units around instead of wasting turns and focus on the larger stacks.

In all my normal fights (I am in the islands) I have never lost more then 5 units fighting strong or match fights, only time I came close to losing 1/2 my units was against an upgrade fight where the gremlins spammed lightning and fireballs.

Currently in the island my group consists of evil beholder (mind control), dwarf alchemist (can melee up to 3 units, poison bomb), griffins (speed, retaliation), royal snake (no retaliation, lunge), inquisitors (resurrection and rage builder).

Last edited by ureal; 10-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

You obviously missed the whole strategy, fortunately it's stilll there for you to comprehend it once more. You are opposing my strategy without trying it, I know this for a fact because I got them in the 4000's, i'm level 24, and I kill everything on hard. Sea dogs have an attack that swipes 3 hexes with only 1 counter-attacking, so it helps as well. Hitting the weakest unit is common sense.

Stuff is well over 100 stack by now buddy, sorry about your luck if you still can't kill anything.

Last edited by KuPPeRz; 10-02-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You obviously missed the whole strategy, fortunately it's stilll there for you to comprehend it once more. You are opposing my strategy without trying it, I know this for a fact because I got them in the 4000's, i'm level 24, and I kill everything on hard. Sea dogs have an attack that swipes 3 hexes with only 1 counter-attacking, so it helps as well. Hitting the weakest unit is common sense.

Stuff is well over 100 stack by now buddy, sorry about your luck if you still can't kill anything.
No need to be mean about it. Nobody was trying to insult you...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

No one is being mean. Continue on with strategies please.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuplis View Post
These are my favorite units:

Griffin: Excellent damage-dealers because of the unlimited retaliation ability. Just get them in front of the enemy and keep pumping resurrect while your archers shoot the living crap out of the enemy.

Emerald Green Dragon: Both talents are excellent for utility. The area attack spell can easily regenerate 25-30 mana every 3 turns while doing 50-70 damage to every enemy around the dragon. The other talent is also great, you can first make your dragon wait, then at the end of the turn you can make him drag an opponent one square so he's next to his buddies, then use the area attack.

Elven archers (both of them): Simply great damage. not against bone-creatures tho

Inquisitor: I use these to punish the undead, also as far as I know inquisitors have the only spell capable of resurrecting lvl 5 monsters. The other talent which blesses a target and makes it do 50% extra vs undead is also pretty good because of the fact you also get some rage.

Cannoneer: Salvo owns.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Horrible strategy. Wasting spells to haste/buff melee units instead of just destroying stacks outright with offensive magic/rage/ranged units. Who wants to spend waste 10 rounds a fight that arent required. AND take more losses.

Protip: losing half your army against a "strong" opponent is not a good thing. Proper utilization of range/spells will allow you to destroy impossible armies and retain more than 50% of your forces. Most of the time i wont lose more than 5% versus anything but very strong/impossible.

Mage strategy near unbeatable strategy for almost any army composition. I use small stacks of the buffest units available with 1 trash stack for sacrifice. And 1 highest ini army to get early turn.

1st round. Summon 2 daemon portals on the enemy line blocking depending on the terrain to block a route to your forces. OR if the army is weak or mostly ranged units just target the ranged stacks with your strongest offensive spell. Fireball/icesnake etc. Put all units into defensive after positioning melee in front of ranged.

Round 2. Rock wall off the remaining terrain if possible. If not open two more daemon portals which combined with the first 2 portals and a rockwall will essentially segregate the battlefield in half. If the army was weak just spam 2 more direct damage spells on them. At this point any army below strong will be almost destroyed if you have been nuking them.

Round 3. Daemons should be flooding the army at this point use rage for Direct damage/gizmo.

Rount 4+ Place mana shields on the stacks on the thick of the battle and summon/necro call forces as is applicable.

You can destroy 99% of any army in the game with this strategy. Ive destroyed impossible armies with commanders 5-10 levels higher than myself.

Last edited by fell; 10-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

The game is flexible that all of these strategies are viable. No need to get nasty.

My own strategy centers around sending a phoenix out to block enemy archers and draw all the melee units around it. I have a high initiative unit to get first turn so I can do that. After that melee and archers/rage spirits finish stuff up.