Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Sounds quite good to me, but I, as a fighter pilot, would like to ask for your opinion about that visibilty or better say draw distances. Is it okay? I mean: 4k is not a real big height for level bombing, or is it? I remember, that we bombed from 7k to 9k in il2. So, how is vdrawing distance compared to il2 1946? 4 km is not enough on a pc sim to really simulate the visibility distance of real life. The game should always draw several kilometers more than in real life to have nearly the same viewing abilities as in real life.

4km is not enough, or am I wrong. I remember that discussion of some good pilots years ago with il2 1946. We need about at least 10 to 15 km to simulate, what eyes can see (mostly peripher or instinctively ) in a real plane as monitors are not giving u the same as in real life.

Just ask for opinions and answers. Levelbombin at a sunny day on 4 or 5 km sounds strange and very dangerous to me as this is in the normal height range of fighter pilots.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Here about it I wrote to developers about need of implementation for game of a photo reconnaissance.

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthrea...=1#post1845441
I suppose a quick fix to this would be the mission builder adding photos to the briefing... err, can photos be added to the briefing?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublerone View Post
Sounds quite good to me, but I, as a fighter pilot, would like to ask for your opinion about that visibilty or better say draw distances. Is it okay? I mean: 4k is not a real big height for level bombing, or is it? I remember, that we bombed from 7k to 9k in il2. So, how is vdrawing distance compared to il2 1946? 4 km is not enough on a pc sim to really simulate the visibility distance of real life. The game should always draw several kilometers more than in real life to have nearly the same viewing abilities as in real life.

4km is not enough, or am I wrong. I remember that discussion of some good pilots years ago with il2 1946. We need about at least 10 to 15 km to simulate, what eyes can see (mostly peripher or instinctively ) in a real plane as monitors are not giving u the same as in real life.

Just ask for opinions and answers. Levelbombin at a sunny day on 4 or 5 km sounds strange and very dangerous to me as this is in the normal height range of fighter pilots.
For bombing in Il-2:1946, the draw distance and target acquisition were always an issue. Luckily, there were "target items" placed using FMB (usually trucks or ships) that would appear as an odd dot or strange "mirage" in the bombsite from far away, so you always had a guide for locating targets. The good mission builders would always add one of these indicators within the target area, even if the item was not the main intended target.

I have not had enough time at high altitude in a bomber to see if the same applies in CloD. Though I seem to recall seeing odd "mirages" at target areas when flying a Bf-109 at high altitude.
www.iijg53.com
My YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/marmusman

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
I suppose a quick fix to this would be the mission builder adding photos to the briefing... err, can photos be added to the briefing?
Yes. captured image gets into briefing only when the spy plane returned to the base.
P.S.
That is, if the plane was shot down, then the photo is lost.

Last edited by Kaiser; 08-07-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Yes. captured image gets into briefing only when the spy plane returned to the base.
P.S.
That is, if the plane was shot down, then the photo is lost.
Sorry what I meant is right now, can mission builder put photos into briefing?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

So, just to be clear, what does the R22 mode actually do? Does it simply level the wings at whatever heading you happen to be flying along? Or dos it direct you to a course you set into the course setter?

If the former, does it allow you to make slight heading corrections?

Before now, i've been using the non-R22 course autopilot to try to do level bombing, using corrections in the course setter to shift course onto target. But the course setter is to coarse, and you can't make fine adjustments, meaning you're wobbling bak and forth as you approach the target...
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

The R22 mode is a three axis autopilot, but its set to 330 to 350 km/h so the plane descends until the speed is reached.
Because of the too low speeds / power of the bombers you'll have to correct for a descent all the time.
Course corrections are made with autopilot right or left, precise enough.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Sorry what I meant is right now, can mission builder put photos into briefing?
At the moment seems to be no, but I could be wrong,
need to ask the organizers of the mission.

Last edited by Kaiser; 08-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
The R22 mode is a three axis autopilot, but its set to 330 to 350 km/h so the plane descends until the speed is reached.
Because of the too low speeds / power of the bombers you'll have to correct for a descent all the time.
Course corrections are made with autopilot right or left, precise enough.
So it works but doesnt work?..... in the ideal world we should be able to use the R22 at any speed?

How do you use it either way?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmusman View Post
Do you mean the triangle indicators?

The Y-axis (upper left side) is the angle of your bombsite.
The X-axis (lower, right side) does not function.

This bombsite is the same system used in IL-2:1946.....there are many great resources for IL-2:1946 to explain the basic system of the site. I suggest searching under "Level Bombing" at Mission4Today.com. At least it is a start.
I downloaded the manual, very interesting but it doesnt tell you how to calculate the bomb angel by yourself...

... suggestions?