Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR_Naglfar View Post
A DVD version will only install steam in your PC and put CoD to download
LOL! That's true, I was so surprised on launch day when I was installing from the DVD version. Basically the disc just checked if I had steam installed -which I had- and then proceeded to download something. At first I thought it was some kind of patch that I needed to install the game but when I saw that the "patch" was over 4GB I was like "whaaat??!!". Only thing on the disc is Steam basically. No reason to buy the DVD version other than for collecting purposes.

P.S ALL my other DVD steam activated game are on their actual respective discs, CloD was the first I've had to have this way of installation.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR_Naglfar View Post
A DVD version will only install steam in your PC and put CoD to download
Freacon STEAM!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
Freacon STEAM!
It's not Steams fault AoA, for example I have the games Skyrim and Empire Total war on DVD. Both of those games installs from the DVD but they activate through steam and update through steam, the best thing though is that if your DVD breaks for some reason, you can still install your game by download from Steam. It's a great system, you're provided with game updates automatically and you can install your game(s) on multiple computers.

Problem wasn't steam, problem was that the publisher (ubisoft and 1c) for some unknown and stupid reason decided to release a steam activated game DVD without the actual game on it, don't ask me why because it's the first game I've heard of to do this.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
shoot.. I really need a DVD version.. I hate having to depend on STEAM each time I do a PC cleanup and clean installs.. Anyone know where I can get a DVD version of CoD?
Make your own DVD! Backup and restore game
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

The game IS on the dvd..
You must abort the steam donload
and the it installs from dvd
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin77 View Post
The game IS on the dvd..
You must abort the steam donload
and the it installs from dvd
Oh snap! Didn't know that, I took for granted that it would install of the DVD primarily like my other steam activated games, oh well silly me.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Freacon STEAM!
Once you've installed CloD you just have to backup your "\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folder.

After you've set up a new rig you just have to download and install steam. Then put your backed up "\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" back to where it belongs and you're done.

Things are easy. Really.

No need to buy a DVD version.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Oh snap! Didn't know that, I took for granted that it would install of the DVD primarily like my other steam activated games, oh well silly me.
Like I said.. Frecon STEAM!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

You guys do realize that steam has a very nice backup function built in, right? Right click on your game -> Backup game files, choose your compression and it'll create a self installing .exe for you that you can backup to a dvd, multiple cds, NAS, you name it. You can even backup multiple games into the same .exe if you feel like it. Just a thought.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekeeper View Post
Make your own DVD!
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Once you've installed CloD you just have to backup your "\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folder.

After you've set up a new rig you just have to download and install steam. Then put your backed up "\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" back to where it belongs and you're done.

Things are easy. Really.

No need to buy a DVD version.
Thanks guys!

But I was not looking for a backup.. I back it up like Foobar said.. When I do a PC cleanup.. That is after a year or so things get so messy.. Or if I am having issues that no one else seems to be having.. Than I re-format the drive and reinstall the OS and do a clean install of all the games.. You know to do the registry and all that goes with it. A truly clean slate