Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHartikka View Post

I bet some readers of this thread know more examples of low bombing practises. 4.10m style safety fuse could of course not be used for these bombing styles because it would have prevented the bomb from exploding in target. That is why I would like to ask to please remove the safety fuse from 4.10 patch...

Regards,

- J. Hartikka -

IL-2 Virtual Bomber Pilot

You are misinformed, or better to say, your information seems to be not very detailed.
Such lowest attacks as your described, happend very seldom, as it was most dangerous for the plane, that did it (i.e.bombs could bounce back from water or surface and hit the plane itself). I think, you overestimate, what you call 'very low'. In a WW2 plane, flying 400km/h and more, even 50m is very low!
Most players used this tactics, because it was too easy. I'm quite glad to see someone addicted to bombing (as most players only seem to be 'fighter jockeys'). The more you should be happy about doing it more the real way.

The 2second fuse arming is a very average number (thats why it was chosen). Most times were larger - depending on bomb size and blast radius.
Its still not a perfect display, its still very abstract, but its much more realistic than before and thus playing will be more realistic. We really digged into that topic, reading and discussion as much information as possible (not just stories). We wouldn't do this only by 'guessing'.

EDIT: BTW - this feature was included by one of your compatriots.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible

Last edited by EJGr.Ost_Caspar; 01-04-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Approved Member

Default Need server realism setting info

I've already posted about this in the general Forum and in over 20 views not one answer, in trying to set up a server on FBDJ - I and my squadmates cannot find any reference to where the settings for difficulty ie:

difficulty GLimits 1
difficulty Reliability 1
difficulty RealisticPilotVulnerability 1
difficulty RealisticNavigationInstruments 1
difficulty NoPlayerIcon 1
difficulty NoFogOfWarIcons 1

are supposed to go, can someone who is familiar with the FBDJ please provide this information? Without it all these great features are not available. I would have thought that it would be easier to find this..
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Approved Member

Posted your question on our board, Krt_Bong.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
You are misinformed, or better to say, your information seems to be not very detailed.
Such lowest attacks as your described, happend very seldom, as it was most dangerous for the plane, that did it (i.e.bombs could bounce back from water or surface and hit the plane itself). I think, you overestimate, what you call 'very low'. In a WW2 plane, flying 400km/h and more, even 50m is very low!
Most players used this tactics, because it was too easy. I'm quite glad to see someone addicted to bombing (as most players only seem to be 'fighter jockeys'). The more you should be happy about doing it more the real way.

The 2second fuse arming is a very average number (thats why it was chosen). Most times were larger - depending on bomb size and blast radius.
Its still not a perfect display, its still very abstract, but its much more realistic than before and thus playing will be more realistic. We really digged into that topic, reading and discussion as much information as possible (not just stories). We wouldn't do this only by 'guessing'.

EDIT: BTW - this feature was included by one of your compatriots.
Your remark would be ok if ships reacted to bombs in a realistic manner. In reality, the blast of a bomb next to a ship would cause a shockwave damaging the integrity of the ship hull, causing the metal to be torn appart, leaks, etc. In IL2, only a bomb that end glued to the hull will cause any damage.

In reality, pilots could suppress the ship AA guns by straffing the crew operating it, and then torpedo bombers or skip bombers could attack the ship with no or less risk to the aircraft, what you can't do in IL2 because the damage model of the ship doesn't include any crew. With your parameters, the attack of ships is way more difficult as it was in the reality because AA can't be suppressed. Flying at 30 - 50 meters to skip bomb while the AA is firing at you (with of course sniper AAA as we have in IL2, which is, like the AI gunners, totally unrealistic) is suicide.

Fuses should be at least settable by the pilot, like convergence.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Approved Member

Don't forget that more extensive changes to ship DMs are already planned for 4.11. Perhaps this fusing feature would have been better left out until these DM changes were added.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Yep, it should have been done the other way round. And please do the same for tanks. When I drop 1 ton of bomb at 10 meters from a tank, the tank might not be destroyed, but I'm sure the crew is at least wounded by the shockwaves, if the tank is not flipped upside down !
Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
Yep, it should have been done the other way round. And please do the same for tanks. When I drop 1 ton of bomb at 10 meters from a tank, the tank might not be destroyed, but I'm sure the crew is at least wounded by the shockwaves, if the tank is not flipped upside down !
Yes, we need better DM modeling for tanks and vehicles, its not realistic to have only 2 damage states, 'undamaged' and 'destroyed'. For example, aircraft in Il2 have to loiter around (esp. if using gunpods) and pick off each individual vehicle until it reaches the destroyed state, same thing with bombs, a near hit does not do much if any damage to tanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

What about the 2 secs for dive bombers? How is a Stuka or Pe-2 meant to operate?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

what should be the proplem with the 2sec fuze and divebombers ????

perhaps you released your bombs much to low in the 4.09 past ??
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Boys View Post
What about the 2 secs for dive bombers? How is a Stuka or Pe-2 meant to operate?
I'd say that they have a minimum safe pull-out altitude which ensures the 2 sec. timeframe for fusing.