Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Global Moderator

Guys all this off topic BS doesn't fly.

Take it somewhere else.

This thread will only stay open a couple hours after this posting, if posters don't get ON TOPIC.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktodack View Post
I think the scenery posted is great, and the amount of research thats gone into the authenticity of all aspects of visuals is amazing, aircraft, atmospherics, ground buildings and equipment-- terrain, especially considering the size of the development team. The only thing I see missing are vehicles and people on the ground, especially as seen from the air. But those who criticize please post some samples from other sims showing how they are so much better --maybe side by side of similier scenes so we can see what BOB should be aiming for.

vs

vs

Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Tree_UK

Adman, what game is that 2nd shot taken from, it looks gorgeous?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Some gorgeous flight simulator for above, but ugly as hell if you are in a COMBAT flight simulator strafing ground units in low level flight.

People like a lot "textures". People cry a lot about terrain and clounds. I just want performance and the GORGEOUS ground units of IL-2 : CoD, and accurate terrain mapping.

But the need to compare apples with oranges urge!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

A screenshot from the trailer ..look at the terrain. Also how do you post big pics all of mine come out as thumb nails. It happens at 1:15 in the trailer. Like Ilya said before most of this footage was taken of of his "Crap" PC ...god knows why but this part where this 109 zooms by smoothly must be off of a faster computer whith that terain too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobnice.jpg (154.4 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Richie; 01-24-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post

I think that may be a Microsoft game Tree although I may be wrong. The problem with them though is when you get low to the ground everything looks totally different as in pretty bad. That's what I hear anyway. Also I wouldn't trust any add from Microsoft until I saw in game footage

Last edited by Richie; 01-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

I think the trailer looks ok to me. Not the best I have ever seen,but I think it would get the attention of anyone interested in combat flight sims.Hopefully we will start seeing some up to date in game footage soon,on a good computer.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

That is actually ingame from microsoft's FSX. However, i suspect there's some 3rd party payware terrain add-on involved in the pic with the Gladiator.

Don't get me wrong, i like some things in FSX a lot and even though i don't own a copy, i fly it whenever i get the chance when visiting a friend. However, the way FSX and its add-ons do certain things are inherently unsuited to a combat sim. The stock FSX terrain is not much to write home about for example and the most celebrated feature in screenshots, which is again part of a payware add-on, the clouds, are 2d overlays from real photographed clouds and not actual 3d virtual clouds.

It's great for flying around near your home town, doing transatlantic hops in an airliner with time compression and the mid-flight save capability, or zipping along at low level in some kind of STOL aircraft over a detailed aftemarket terrain add-on from a place you'll probably never visit in your lifetime like the airstrip on the foothills of Mt. Everest, pretending you are shuttling climbers there in your twin otter, there are even 3rd party developers that have managed to overcome some of its stock FM flaws (apparently, it takes special coding to get aircraft to spin properly in FSX) by clever usage of their own modules, but there are still certain limitations that would show big time in a combat sim.

I like it a lot and if i had money to burn i'd probably buy it and a bunch of add-ons (which is the high quality stuff really), but like someone else already said it's like comparing apples and oranges.

For starters, there are no satellite photos of 1940s Europe to texture the landscape with, even if there were they would take up an enormous amount of disk space, plus in a combat sim you will invariably spend a lot of time down low attacking ground targets and having the ground go all blurry on you because you're close enough to distinguish it's just a flat texture would destroy immersion completely. Also, no matter how cool the aftermarket 2d REX clouds look in comparison to the stock FSX 3d ones and the 3d ones we are getting in CoD, there's no way around the fact that for AI line of sight calculations and maintaining fair play in multiplayer we need clouds modelled in 3d. Otherwise, one could be thinking he's inside the cloud and safe, while another guy can see him just fine and is already diving on him. Just a few examples.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

my Fsx folder has more then 200 Gigs
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Would be awesome bail out in 1º person, grab a gun, rob a car and return to the base.

But its not Battlefield =/