Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

So...fire up the game to see what the patch is like...Quick mission, Hurris v 109s...Planes in air still look fab...Tracers seem to be improvement...Approve the sun glare. Anyway, I avoid being shot down and head for home. Once over Blighty I'm disappointed with the new ground colours - at once both faded and dirtied up. Still, nothing game-breaking. Land the old hurribus at Hawkinge, taxi to a halt and open the canopy. What happen next I'm gobsmacked by...

I hear a growl in the distance, which soon becomes recognizably Merlin-like. I see my wingman approach and proceed to do a victory roll over the field. He does this a couple more times, but what really amazes me is that I could almost be at an airshow in terms of the engine-sound. It's not quite a proper Merlin, but just the way the note changes as the plane manouevres is very evocative and unlike anything I've heard in a sim to date.

It may not have an impact on the way the game plays, but I just wanted to give the devs the thumbs' up for this enhancement
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Very pleased with latest patch. I did get an initial very noticable fps hit and more stuttering but did all the usual routines plus I found the Launcher.exe had gone from nVidia control panel and had to be added again. Now have an increase in fps and very few stutters. Great to see the cockpit reflections again. One thing that has always been missing and although not important would be nice to see is objects reflected in the water especially trees at the waters edge as in IL-2 Classic. They were in the early CloD screen shots, certainly from ships but like quite a few things have dropped by the wayside. Maybe after the important stuff is sorted they will come back.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Approved Member

Flyingblind- what do you mean by:
"I found the Launcher.exe had gone from nVidia control panel and had to be added again. Now have an increase in fps and very few stutters. " ?
I have a Nvidia card, is there an adjustment I can make to increase framerates and remove stutters?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer View Post
Flyingblind- what do you mean by:
"I found the Launcher.exe had gone from nVidia control panel and had to be added again. Now have an increase in fps and very few stutters. " ?
I have a Nvidia card, is there an adjustment I can make to increase framerates and remove stutters?
+1 Please explain better, I'm curious too.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupaxx View Post
+1 Please explain better, I'm curious too.
Thanks
You can set options for quality via the nvidia cpl for every single application, if you like. So you can add a custom profile for CloD (here you must select the launcher.exe in you steamapps clod dir as application) where you can set various options to enhance either quality or performance.

Ask google about a step-by-step howto.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

Ok thanks, I thought about some command line to add to the.exe by the property panel.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Up untile recently Launcher.exe wouldn't stay in nVidia control panel. You could add it and use the various settings but when the control panel was closed it would lose Launcher.exe from the list of applications. It would be gone on restarting the panel. Plus any settings used had no effect on CloD.

I suddenly found that Launcher.exe was being retained in my control panel even after a complete system shut down and restart although the settinbgs still seems to be having a limited if any effect on the game.

It has always seemed to me that the code put out by the developers is exactly the same for everyone so if one person has good, smooth fps and another has rubbish fps with stutters then the problem must lie somewhere on the computers software, hardware or both. I was getting good and reasonably smooth fps prior to the last official release but afterwards had quite a hit on both. Other people were reporting an improvement so it seemed a bit pointless blaming the game or the developers.

I spent a bit of time going through all the various suggestions and ideas that have been posted on the causes of poor fps and one of the last things I looked at was my nVidea control panel. The Launcher.exe was no longer listed so I added it again. On restarting CloD again I found my fps were now better that they have ever been.

Now I am not saying that having Launcher.exe in the control panel is the reason my fps improved. It may have been or it may just have been a coincidence but it seems reasonable to think that the update installation had changed some settings on my system for the worse and it was a case of trying everything possible, obvious or obscure, in the hope of solving the problem.

As it happens, I succeded, or I could have just said, 'This game sucks, I'll just shelve it untile the developers fix my problem'.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

@flyingblind
Most settings on the card (i.e. the controlpanel for the card) has proven to be non functional. V-sync does nothing AA does nothing.
Perhaps you had AA applied in the games video settings. Then when adding launcher to your cards controlpanel the settings for the AA was "override games settings" thus effectivly turning off the games AA while applying the nonexisting card AA!?
Just a thought. Hope you understood what I wrote.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

I have vsync working in nvidia control panel global settings, no AA though
Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZR View Post
Well.. " I don't wear such a headset" If you fly the sim you should be like if you were.. simple..
belly-shut. I'm wearing a pointed cap and slim headphones, like the american bomber pilots. See the flaw?