Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Hecke

Why does the water not show any effect to the crashing plane.
There should be circled waves going away from the entrance of the plane in the water.

And the trees in the second part of pictures just look very very bad.

Last edited by Hecke; 09-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
Why does the water not show any effect to the crashing plane.
There should be circled waves going away from the entrance of the plane in the water.

And the trees in the second part of pictures just look very very bad.

Plane has not yet crashed.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, as i'm just going by memory here. Some of what i say might be inaccurate or unconfirmed and some is just conjecture based on putting together different things we've been told at various points in the development of the sim. In short, i just put 2 and 2 together and see what is a reasonable conclusion, but this is by no means official data. Here goes.

I don't know about the gauges, but i guess that most of them will work correctly. As for the gauges registering damage and helping you judge the situation of your aircraft (because that's what gauges are for in reality), i think this is a part of the new damage model. So for example, if your oil lines are hit your oil pressure gauges will probably start dropping.

Devicelink improvements have been talked about by the developer team, so i guess that what you say is going to be possible.

As for scripted failures now. There was talk about a difficulty setting for single

player/offline flying that will present random failures depending on how you use your aircraft in the campaign, but i don't know if it's confirmed or any other details. As for scripted events, this falls under the use of triggers in the mission builder and i guess that since IL2 is getting triggers in the FMB by team daidalos, it's a safe bet to assume that SoW will feature triggers as well. So, it looks like it's going to be possible to have scripted failures.

Finally, this is the only part that i can safely say has been more or less confirmed. We will be getting a two-seater Tiger Moth and we'll be able to use it to train other people online. I think this is also possible for other multi-crewed aircraft, so for example some people could fly as gunners in a bomber.

In the video you can see the gauges at work..just to get a visual

Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

A question to Oleg and dev' team:

Will there be special small maps for the quick missions as in Il2 (and FB), or will quick missions take place on the full sized map?

In FB we were limited to a few small maps when buiding quick missions. Just wondering.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post

I'm familiar with that one, in fact thank you for bringing it up as i tend to re-watch it from time to time

I think when people ask about gauges, they probably mean the more obscure ones. The main gauges worked in IL2 as well, so i think that the question mainly concerns things like ammeters and not RPM or manifold pressure gauges. To be honest i'm very interested to see how far they go with that. Since we've been told that all sorts of things will be modelled individually inside each aircraft and possibly have their own DM, we are going to need working gauges for the respective systems to see if and when something goes wrong.

For example, a malfunctioning electricity system might take out the gun heaters, resulting in guns jamming at high altitude, etc. Actually i'm more excited with the possibility of discovering new ways to screw up and die online than any other aspect of the sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
I have known about this FSX addon for a while now, and apparently it's awesome ( I can't comment first hand though )
It's called Real-Environment-Xtreme (REX) and it looks quite amazing. Just look at those clouds

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/

Take a look chaps. With SoW apparently third party friendly, something like this could be a future possibilty (unless the team make the most jaw-dropping clouds ever...)
I mean, with SoW's particle physics, working in collaboration with a company like this could produce great results (although maybe not free results...)
That's an add-on that consists of improved clouds, runway textures and markings as well as water textures. I fly FSX on a friend's PC every now and then and it's true that it gives some awesome clouds. The interesting part is that these clouds are not 100% computer-generated. They are made from real photos and by real i mean non-digital because they wanted to be able to enlarge them at will without being limited by the resolution of a digital camera, so they took real photos that they could enlarge without loss of quality and then imported them by scanning them. They burned some serious amount of film for that add-on
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

Got kinda disappointed with the QMB menu...Looks difficult to use.IL2 QMB was easy and simple.IL2 FMB wasn´t that hard neither.

And what means the couple on the Blenheim and the Tiger Moth?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
It makes a huge difference; Britain wasn't saturated during the summer, yet from the base-colour on the field textures that is the impression given at the moment.
If you're aiming for a BoB simulator, it's such an easy colour tweak to make that adds so much more to the immersion
while i find myself mystified posting about grass, it changes through the months, and depends on the weather.

This year it was green in june, and green again by august, because of the weather, and only had that dried look through july.

By the way, i live in kent, and work outside on a farm through the summers, and i can't help but see this stuff change.

if your going to be really anal about stuff, then in june, the wheat fields need to be green, july changing, august golden, and sept ploughed.

aug 9th this year, just east of canterbury, notice the very green medows down across from the filed we had just harvested,

aug 16th, dover looking at france.

pretty green to me.

personally, i care more about other stuff, but each to there own.

Last edited by fruitbat; 09-19-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
while i find myself mystified posting about grass, it changes through the months, and depends on the weather.

This year it was green in june, and green again by august, because of the weather, and only had that dried look through july.

By the way, i live in kent, and work outside on a farm through the summers, and i can't help but see this stuff change.

if your going to be really anal about stuff, then in june, the wheat fields need to be green, july changing, august golden, and sept ploughed.

aug 9th this year, just east of canterbury, notice the very green medows down across from the filed we had just harvested,

personally, i care more about other stuff, but each to their own.
Thankyou fruitbat. A bit of realism amongst the idealist fantasies.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I'm familiar with that one, in fact thank you for bringing it up as i tend to re-watch it from time to time

I think when people ask about gauges, they probably mean the more obscure ones. The main gauges worked in IL2 as well, so i think that the question mainly concerns things like ammeters and not RPM or manifold pressure gauges. To be honest i'm very interested to see how far they go with that. Since we've been told that all sorts of things will be modelled individually inside each aircraft and possibly have their own DM, we are going to need working gauges for the respective systems to see if and when something goes wrong.

For example, a malfunctioning electricity system might take out the gun heaters, resulting in guns jamming at high altitude, etc. Actually i'm more excited with the possibility of discovering new ways to screw up and die online than any other aspect of the sim

That's an add-on that consists of improved clouds, runway textures and markings as well as water textures. I fly FSX on a friend's PC every now and then and it's true that it gives some awesome clouds. The interesting part is that these clouds are not 100% computer-generated. They are made from real photos and by real i mean non-digital because they wanted to be able to enlarge them at will without being limited by the resolution of a digital camera, so they took real photos that they could enlarge without loss of quality and then imported them by scanning them. They burned some serious amount of film for that add-on
I got you there about the screwing up. I liked when Forgotten Battles first came out how you had to keep track of you fuel mixture otherwise your tank was empty in a very short time. The oxygen thing will be fun. The more complicated and realistic the better I say. But it should and will I'm sure be simple to turn from realistic to beginner mode. I've actually got a CD where a pilot goes threw the start up of a 109. How many pumps on the prime and so forth so I'm ready

Last edited by Richie; 09-20-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post

When was this video released? I didn't know this.