Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > GEM Editor

GEM Editor All information about MoW map editor

Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Zeke... can you get any SWAMP terrains to work correctly?

All of them swallow up infantry... but not vehicles. I am thinking they did complete these terrains and may redefine them for the Japanese swamps etc coming soon.???
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

You should use the TERRAIN PP "Ground" and then pick "Mud" from the TERRAIN FX menu... (just scroll down and you will see the words "Mud" and "Puddle". Using the TERRAIN PP "Swamp" always drowns your guys...

~Zeke.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

Super! This makes more sense...

A few more questions...

1. Can you ramp a height from point A to point B with the heights brush?

2. Is there a command to "smooth an area" instead of settings the brush to the lowest settings it will go and brushing down height 1 time?

3. Can you explain what the 4 borderlines exactly do?

So far...

YELLOW = Player units max distance... (Seems AI can go beyond that?) Fog also starts here and goes to the edge of the green border.

GREEN = Max distance you can see period... Fog ends here.

LIGHT BLUE = ???

MAGENTA = ???

4. When placing textures ... I seem to be having a hard time finding certain textures that blend with one another (when they don't perfectly blend they make hard edge lines)
Is this just an error in the editor or do you have to find the perfect textures overall? (Having a tough time finding blending textures for a jungle / wet sand mix) Even when I
import all the textures from say... FRONTLINE11... half of them show hard edges when placed... I would think all textures would perfectly blend regardless?

Please correct me if my descriptions are wrong above... Thanks!

Last edited by Prowlinger; 04-24-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowlinger View Post
1. Can you ramp a height from point A to point B with the heights brush?
Yes you can... but I wont tell...

Nah, just kidding. Place the brush on top of the hill (or wherever you want the "ramp"). Then hold LSHIFT and then move the mouse whilst holding down the RMB. This will create a quite good slooping ramp. It will take a few (ok, many in some cases) moves with the mouse to get it nice though.

Quote:
2. Is there a command to "smooth an area" instead of settings the brush to the lowest settings it will go and brushing down height 1 time?
As far as I know... nope. I always smooths my maps with the LSHIFT-LMB and LSHIFT-RMB. You can enlarge the brush with the "+" and decrease it with "-". With a very large brush you will smoth a 500x500 sized map in no time.

Quote:
3. Can you explain what the 4 borderlines exactly do?
I´m not 100% sure on this myself but ok, here is what I know about them.

Quote:
YELLOW = Player units max distance... (Seems AI can go beyond that?) Fog also starts here and goes to the edge of the green border.

GREEN = Max distance you can see period... Fog ends here.
Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote:
LIGHT BLUE = ???
Really don´t know what this one do.

Quote:
MAGENTA = ???
This tells where the map ends. You can´t move outside this border line if you have the "Clip Camera Position" clicked.

I usually places the magenta line where I want my map to end (in 99% of the cases it is located at the true edge of the visible map). The yellow/green lines is placed so that the green line is about the width of a Tiger I ( ) from the magenta line.

The light blue (cyan?) is located in between the yellow and green lines, but closer to the yellow one.

This seems to work quite good with both MP and SP maps that I´ve made earlier (for FoW and DCG. I haven´t made any MP map for MoW yet).

Quote:
4. When placing textures ... I seem to be having a hard time finding certain textures that blend with one another (when they don't perfectly blend they make hard edge lines)...
Is this just an error in the editor or do you have to find the perfect textures overall?
No, it isnt an error in the editor, it is just you who hasn´t fully understood how the textures work.

This is quite difficult to explain but there is a tutorial which explains this. Last time I saw it, it was still located at the DMS site. Here is a link to the actual tutorial. http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums...php?f=16&t=454

~Zeke.