Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess

King's Bounty: Armored Princess Sequel to the critically acclaimed King’s Bounty: The Legend.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias_Maluco View Post
Yeah, thats some stupid reason to not to play a game. I reckon you cant play Tomb Raider as well? Or any Metroid?

Whats wrong with this people? What are you afraid of? You feel you are going to be less male for controlling a girl in a computer game? You wont, has you dont get more "macho" for playing Duke Nuken either.

Grow up, boys.
Thanks for your opinion Elias. Ward has one as well. You can disagree with him without the need to attempt to belittle him as well.

Ultimately, a CHOICE as to which sex to play would be the best option. For some, this will be a deal breaker and for others, this wont matter one bit. Some, like myself, would prefer one way but will accept the other way as long as the game is as good as the original. Companies (like 1C) know this and make a calculated decision when they make a game balancing this information against the potential gain or loss to a games popularity and profitability.

Aggressively attacking someone for stating their opinion on their preference isn't very useful nor does it back up your own position.

And for the record, he has a wife so is probably 20+. I am 39 (with job, wife & kids) so mostly 'all growed up'
Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

The way I see it, women who want to play games have to play as a man 99% of the times. I don't see a problem with them being able to play as a woman for once.
Besides, this game is more based on a story, the daughter of the king was that, a daughter. Could they make it so you can choose to be someone else? maybe, but it'd create them many problems for the continuity of the game. In the 3rd installation, they wouldn't be able to say anything about the 2nd, as they wouldn't know if you played it as a man or a woman.
It's really no big deal, women have done it (playing a character of the opposite sex) for the longest time, if they can do it, so can we.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
The way I see it, women who want to play games have to play as a man 99% of the times. I don't see a problem with them being able to play as a woman for once.
Besides, this game is more based on a story, the daughter of the king was that, a daughter. Could they make it so you can choose to be someone else? maybe, but it'd create them many problems for the continuity of the game. In the 3rd installation, they wouldn't be able to say anything about the 2nd, as they wouldn't know if you played it as a man or a woman.
It's really no big deal, women have done it (playing a character of the opposite sex) for the longest time, if they can do it, so can we.
Bravo.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
If your wife can play as a male character and enjoy it, why can't you do the reverse? Sounds ridiculous not to play a game for this reason.
What the problem of playing a female character?? I have finished Tomb Raider legend and Clock Tower 3( an old PS2 exculsive game)and i like it a lot and now i am also playing tomb raider underword. It is just a pc game !! It is stupid not to play play a game just because you control a female character! And there are only a few games with female characters now.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

I find it kind of odd that her hair color changes from blond/brown to black. Although it's a good change =P. I personally prefer to play as females because I mean, if I have to stare at a character all day, it might as well be a chick.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

If I can play as a man through the full base game (with a paper doll that has a mohawk/mullet), I think a male player can well play through the expansion as the armored princess.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

you still can control men, you troops that is, problem solved.

but I syill don't know why she look so different in this game, even different hair color.

Oh, and I'm new here, nice to meet you all.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

Default On the gender issue

On the topic of gender-preferences. It seems the core of the request would be: "A choice of gender-toon". This would be a good request in itself. Unfortunately (as stated before), it conflicts with the story-driven elements of the game.

Now, onto personal preference. I for one like it that the expansion features a character from the original game. Add to that the fact that I have no qualm playing a game with a female toon, I support the devs current decision in this.

As to why people have trouble playing games that features a woman, I don't think we'd get definitive answers on this. I know my better half likes games a lot better when she can play a female, since it's easier to associate with the toon (She did like Duke Nukem, by the way). In that regard, I cannot but respect the same point of view for males that dislike playing female toons, even if I don't share their sentiment.

However, I do feel the argument that the main player base is male, is not as true as many males would like to believe - at least, not for games in this genre. Kings Bounty, The Legend has much that appeals to (the many) female gamers I know. Two exambles would be that it's graphically pleasant, and that it has a very good story in which the options that are offered to the player support kindness as much as 'gruesome slaughter'. Games where it's mainly numbercrunching, killcounting or grinding are often considered to be more 'to the male's liking' and less so for females. Games that are aesthetically pleasing and hold a good story, have a large female playerbase.

So my guess would be that for many of the males that are 'lost' due to their hesitance to play a game featuring a girl, there will be women picking up the game instead. (For instance, the wives of the men that stopped playing

Summarizing my point: The game features a story-driven experience that in my opinion more than compensates for the lack of toon-customisation. I'm quite glad the devs can make the decision to cut their losses in a certain segment of the male playerbase, so that they may offer us a sequal with the same (or even better) quality: a strong story. I cannot think of a male toon that could be substituted for Amelia and not make the story awkwared (if not at points downright emergingbreaking).
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I could not agree more.

I just wonder that Amelie suddenly has dark hair, as a child she is a blonde, after all.

I am also looking forward to the German translation of "Armored Princess", which is a kickass funny title for a game. In German, the translation will probably be "Die gepanzerte Prinzessin", which is almost an alliteration or is actually one, as the pronunciation will focus on the "panzer" part and "Prinzessin".

It is rather sad that people cannot get over the fact that they will have to play a female char. It is only your char, after all.

My wishlist would be an improved WINDOWED game mode. I had to mod the game.ini to play in a window and the text sometimes looks blurry, but otherwise it works fine. I would like to have this option by default.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
+10
The story will really become wierd if you swap the princess with a random male servant.
There is a slight possibility of introducing a young brother of the princess and thus still a prince, but the story dialog might already be fitted for answers given to a girl, like talking to a pirate who laughs at the tiny princess that threatens him only to end up with his head on a stick .
With regard to the hair color change: it is a normal change. My father had black hair and my mother had natural blonde hair, when I was a kid I had light blonde hair which darkened in time and I now it is dark brown. No dies involved. The producers being from Rusia might have seen this change too (I am from Romania so we have the same dark hair and blonde hair mixes).