Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane-Eater View Post
User experience testing is an important part of discovering issues like this. It helps you discover where you've made assumptions about how a player will interpret things, and where they either need different information, or more.

I can tell from Caspar's response that for him, looking up through the gunsight seems perfectly intuitive, and from one interpretation, it is. From another interpretation of "gunsight A needs key 1, gunsight B must need key 2", using the view commands instead of "key 2 for gunsight B" is something that would only be discovered basically by trial and error or chance.

Solution: more beta testers.
Trouble with us beta testers is we eventually succumb to the group think as well and I know only one person in my professional life who is able to stay outside of that and not make assumptions about the user experience. Everyone else gets sucked in
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

I agree. A second gunsight might assume a second button. Shift+F1 is for 'gunsight view' or 'aim view' or what it is called - and here this means for both gunsights - which is the point, that we could have mentioned.

However... IIRC, you can reach that upper gunsight also with 6DoF movments (by mouse or TrackIR) in the normal 'flight view' - so the 'Shift+F1' hotkey is not essential.

I think, the good thing with simulations is, whenever you have a problem, try it to do as you would do in real life. In most of the cases it works.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible