Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Approved Member

I think I remember that too Max. There were some odd bugs and quirks here and there.

I did do a retest of my earlier example. Same deal with a Bf109 and MK108 nose gun. Single round shots into the Spitfires. A few escaped the first shot relatively unscathed in two of the cases. Must not have been the Mine shell on that one? The second shot absolutely finished them off.

So I'll revise my earlier testing results and suggest that any Spitfire LF.IX will go down in 2 hits from a MK108. The first hit is sometimes not fully lethal but as I said.. probably not the Mine shell. Even then. You have a cannon with a very high fire rate that often comes in installations of 1 nose cannon or multiple nose/wing cannons that can nearly guarantee catastrophic damage to a target plane in 1-2 hits.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I think I remember that too Max. There were some odd bugs and quirks here and there.

I did do a retest of my earlier example. Same deal with a Bf109 and MK108 nose gun. Single round shots into the Spitfires. A few escaped the first shot relatively unscathed in two of the cases. Must not have been the Mine shell on that one? The second shot absolutely finished them off.

So I'll revise my earlier testing results and suggest that any Spitfire LF.IX will go down in 2 hits from a MK108. The first hit is sometimes not fully lethal but as I said.. probably not the Mine shell. Even then. You have a cannon with a very high fire rate that often comes in installations of 1 nose cannon or multiple nose/wing cannons that can nearly guarantee catastrophic damage to a target plane in 1-2 hits.
As to the part above that I bolded, why be satisfied with a guess when you don't have to? The incendiary blast was big last I remember but I leaned away from Mk 108 before the last PF patch. 151/20 otoh....

I've rested twice since I posted last and the term just came to me, it's mach stem. I wouldn't put it past Oleg to have put it into the DM just to keep wing tip or similar hits from demolishing planes they should not be able to. IE, not a bug but a realism feature.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunz View Post
As to the part above that I bolded, why be satisfied with a guess when you don't have to? The incendiary blast was big last I remember but I leaned away from Mk 108 before the last PF patch. 151/20 otoh....

I've rested twice since I posted last and the term just came to me, it's mach stem. I wouldn't put it past Oleg to have put it into the DM just to keep wing tip or similar hits from demolishing planes they should not be able to. IE, not a bug but a realism feature.
Yeah I should have been running with Arcade=1 but didn't. I wanted to see if there really was a problem or not. Frankly I don't think there is and while I don't know the programming I'd agree with you that Oleg's team likely made sure there were some realism features or at least some sort of modifiers in place to prevent some weird things from happening too often. Not every MK108 (or any other gun) hit is going to be 100% perfect or 100% of it's lethal potential... you'd expect some natural variability in there just for probabilities sake. Agreed with you completely even if I'm not familiar with the specific term

MK108... definitely a killing machine!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Mk 108 MG shell has massive power but even if you hit a wing tip with a dump truck it's not going to destroy the whole wing.

It has limits in rate of fire, ammo and velocity affecting range that leave me preferring the 20mm. But then I've been pretty good at deflection and longer shots.

The worst things happen online. It's like kids playing guns back before the country went nuts. Bang bang got you, nooooo you didn't!