Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Do you mean Mod pack? Is that a typo? Why was it buggy .. because of the RRR?

That is great to know..!!

I never was onto RRR either.. I always thought that it was kind of hokey.. like clickable cockpits (as long as the function is available to be mapped to my stick who gives a $ if it's clickable from my PoV ) for me just the ability to have AI in a DF server was good enough..

That is fantastic news.. !!

All this time I thought the MDS was no longer functional in 4.11.. I will have to revise the Nugget's Guide yet again.. but first I think it is time to try my hand at making a few MDS missions.. so I can know WTH I am talking about ..

So just to be absolutely clear on what I understand the situation to be here.. as long as RRR and some of the more advanced features of the MDS are not employed or expected.. I should be able to create a nice DF server mission with AI flights that spawn.. fly around a predetermined area on patrol to defend a base or just look for trouble .. and they will attack if you get close enough .. and if they survive .. they will land and disappear.. on either side red or blue .. and I can do that with as many flights as I have the patience to create.. again on either side.. red or blue..

Is that correct?

Also.. if the triggers feature that TD had been talking about is ever released then theoretically .... I could make a mission so that when X amount of AI on X side is reached .. more will spawn .. but not until .... as long as I have the patience to think that far ahead .. Yes?
I have no idea where anyone got the impression that MDS was in some way broken. What's there works.

I haven't tried recon planes or capturable bases but that's it. The key things for BF1 have always been the AI moving ships (including carriers), vehicle convoys, etc. From experience I don't recommend large numbers of AI aircraft... especially heavy bombers as its a load on the server and causes lag as a result but small numbers of AI fighters haven't been a problem at all. I think the problem may be exacerbated by it being a 64 player server. So a smaller server or one with more CPU/bandwidth might be just fine. As a result we don't use them a lot but we do sprinkle them in here and there. With fighters we've had up to 4-5 wings going with no problem. Also at least a couple of scenarios have over 20 ships on the move or large numbers of vehicle and armor convoys without issue.

We're running around 60 objective based, semi-historical, dogfight scenarios of which nearly all are using some MDS feature at this point. It works just fine! The biggest problem is that although its a stock server, we do allow HSFX (many of our players do use it... no problem!), but there are bugs that HSFX has introduced... particularly around spawn points... but none of that is caused by MDS.

Seriously... I'm curious... who said it didn't work? We've been doing this since 4.10. That was... 2 years ago?

Last edited by IceFire; 02-01-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Approved Member

I don't recall where I heard it from.. but I was under the impression that it no longer worked in 4.11.. so you are saying the same functionality for the MDS that was in 4.10.1 is in 4.11.1.. It may have even been from someone from UP now that i think of it..

Last edited by Bearcat; 02-01-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I don't recall where I heard it from.. but I was under the impression that it no longer worked in 4.11.. so you are saying the same functionality for the MDS that was in 4.10.1 is in 4.11.1.. It may have even been from someone from UP now that i think of it..
Yep... 4.10.1... 4.11.1... MDS works!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Do you mean Mod pack? Is that a typo? Why was it buggy .. because of the RRR?

That is great to know..!!

I never was onto RRR either.. I always thought that it was kind of hokey.. like clickable cockpits (as long as the function is available to be mapped to my stick who gives a $ if it's clickable from my PoV ) for me just the ability to have AI in a DF server was good enough..

That is fantastic news.. !!

All this time I thought the MDS was no longer functional in 4.11.. I will have to revise the Nugget's Guide yet again.. but first I think it is time to try my hand at making a few MDS missions.. so I can know WTH I am talking about ..

So just to be absolutely clear on what I understand the situation to be here.. as long as RRR and some of the more advanced features of the MDS are not employed or expected.. I should be able to create a nice DF server mission with AI flights that spawn.. fly around a predetermined area on patrol to defend a base or just look for trouble .. and they will attack if you get close enough .. and if they survive .. they will land and disappear.. on either side red or blue .. and I can do that with as many flights as I have the patience to create.. again on either side.. red or blue..

Is that correct?

Also.. if the triggers feature that TD had been talking about is ever released then theoretically .... I could make a mission so that when X amount of AI on X side is reached .. more will spawn .. but not until .... as long as I have the patience to think that far ahead .. Yes?
Its an obvious typo.

Just one bug thread and you see where Zuti falls out with TD over misinterpretation.
> http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=17329

Its been working fine since v4.10 as Icefire's already mentioned.

There's a comprehensive read me for the MDS stuff in the installation folder of your IL2 1946 HSFX v6.0 ie:

X:\IL2 1946 HSFX 6\HSFX V6 Tools & Read me's

Also.

Download the attached Documentation that come with v4.10 for MDS guide.
Also a separate guide from UP website.
Remember though not all the features are available in v4.11.1 as they are in the UPv1.2 pdf.zip guide., but it will give some extra insight into the base friction set up.

Best you make sure you know what your talking about in your nuggets guide, you don't want to look like a nugget.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MDS_Guide.zip (455.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: zip MDS_v1.2.pdf.zip (2.02 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Approved Member

Lol. Yeah .. but it does happen..
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

To be fair the nuggets guide is massive
Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Approved Member

Would be strange for us to release some new feature in a patch, just to break it in the next patch, right?

Bearcat, what you describe regarding MDS combined with triggers sounds very reasonable and I think, thats what our programming guys had right in mind. I hope, the trigger stuff will soon make it (I personally don't know the status).

Have fun with the features!

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Hopefully the trigger stuff will be "point n click"

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28487

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Approved Member

+1 Icefire.
Mds features worked correctly from the beginning. In Skies of Valor we had better results with ships than planes. Planes have an higher tendency to introduce lag. A lot has changed Imho with Increased computer power. In our experience those having higher lag were people with slower computers.
Maps that seemed laggy two years ago (410) now are considered smooth by most if not all players, even if left untouched. This is because players have changed their rigs.
With ships we've been able to reproduce the real numbers of Operation Vigorous (about 60) with no problems. Only a certain spacing of ships, care of AAA, and distance from coast tweaking needed.
+1 also on Hsfx bugs at spawn points with stock server. We had same issues.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenice_1965 View Post
+1 Icefire.
Mds features worked correctly from the beginning. In Skies of Valor we had better results with ships than planes. Planes have an higher tendency to introduce lag. A lot has changed Imho with Increased computer power. In our experience those having higher lag were people with slower computers.
Maps that seemed laggy two years ago (410) now are considered smooth by most if not all players, even if left untouched. This is because players have changed their rigs.
With ships we've been able to reproduce the real numbers of Operation Vigorous (about 60) with no problems. Only a certain spacing of ships, care of AAA, and distance from coast tweaking needed.
+1 also on Hsfx bugs at spawn points with stock server. We had same issues.
Absolutely! We've found similar where most maps are now accessible. Do you guys have any maps that use NW Germany? We find that it's still not something we can use because despite the smaller size there are just too many objects on the map and players get stuttering and lag. Even my rig (Core i7, 4GB ram, etc.) has trouble online... it's likely the server causing the stutters but any scenario with that map is a problem.

Ships and vehicle convoys are no problem. Heavy bombers are more problematic while single engine fighters are ok in small numbers.