Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

While I tend to agree that more could and should be done with weather in CloD and future titles, I still have to remind people that map area does play a large part of what can be done with reasonable quality. This isnt an excuse for the devs, but comparing games that dont render the same square mileage probably isnt fair (not to mention other things going on under the hood)... now here is a really crappy ILS landing by me in A-10... these graphics are somewhat dated by what we have in CloD... but you get the idea right... weather shouldnt be given up on, but they also are not just something they can plunk in...

SO in closing... I sorta agree... but not quite
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

The dev team said that they were working on dynamic weather, so they obviously realize that it's something that people want. Apparently it's not possible now on a map that is much larger than anything you will see on Wings of Puke.. Why is that so difficult for some people to believe?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
I am sure that the MG team could make an awesome landscape if they only had a 1km square area to work with
Clod has some very small maps too. They look terrible.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Clod has some very small maps too. They look terrible.
Yes but... I.. They.. I will will get my coat...!

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

I'm quite sure the developer is well aware of the cloud and weather problem. The development had a guy working full time on the clouds and weather and they fired him for obvious reasons. Hopefully they have found someone with more expertise to carry on.

The terrain also needs work, but I think the community can fix this if and when the tools are released. I believe they are also reworking the water. BUT for any of this to happen they desperately need to fix enough of the performance, stability, and game play issues of the game engine to make the Sequel successful. If the game engine is finally fixed and the Sequel sells, then the development will have time to breath, and just work on features, aircraft, cockpits, and maps. The unfinished game engine has had the development teetering on disaster for sometime and they obviously aren't out of the woods yet.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Yes but... I.. They.. I will will get my coat...!

Good point
dont let the depressed ones confuse you with their tales of doom

on that one "small map in CoD" occasion the same advanced game and grafix engine in CoD just has to briefly model a small geographic area. its not as if it can suddenly scale down magically and that suddenly frees up the resources to add game console style eye candy and dumbs down the FM and DM etc..

its like saying a fiat 500 and a Ferrari should cost the same because both on one occasion are driving at the same slow speed

point being, for CoD/BoM the same gfx and game engine in other settings has to model the highly detailed aircraft models, FM, DM, and a huge map with large formations of aircraft and complex ground unit activity, AND you (we) want a high level of detail when on the ground or flying at low altitude (rather then the cartoon visuals of WoP). there simply isnt enough pc resources for this on mid level systems, it even strugles on high end pc's in 2012 (eg having to turn of dynamic weather etc).
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Bob_Marley

Rise of flight has nice clouds.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Bob_Marley;458836]Rise of flight has nice clouds.

[QUOTE]

But they can't fix their trees!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Approved Member

I hope they take a second look at their trees later too. Seeing the new water, I remain hopeful. It would be good to see some bump mapping on the landscape too. Clod has an edge over RoF in that respect.