Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Approved Member

No thats a problem, but can life with it.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

i can live with that as well, but i assumed, that its somehow connected to the joystick lag
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Do you have this lag in external view as well?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Approved Member

yes, but as already mentioned, for me its really a small lag,...only a split second later....
and in 1946 for example i dont have this nor in MS flight simulator...its not my joystick thats for sure.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
yes, but as already mentioned, for me its really a small lag,...only a split second later....
and in 1946 for example i dont have this nor in MS flight simulator...its not my joystick thats for sure.
Don't worry, it's not you or your joystick, it's definitely there and it's definitely the game. I've tested this phenomenon on 4 completely different PCs (Intel, AMD, nVidia, you name it, they're all 90% different; Win7 being the only similarity) and 3 different joysticks. It is also a very minor delay and some may not be sensitive enough to it to notice, auch as the large following of users who swear by V-Sync; the mouse/input delay caused by V-Sync makes me go insane. However, the 'laggy' animations of the joystick and control surfaces seem unrelated and are most likely just an attempt to reduce the amount of processing power required to draw it on the screen(although I've always thought it to be an immersion killer and how much fps in practice does it really save?).
Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Is there a USB hub involved anywhere here?
I was a bit concerned the first time I fired up Clod, the joystick animation seemed slightly out of sync with my movements, however the movements of the ailerons/rudder were perfect.
The game feels very reactive to my movements, but there is the most minute delay when looking at the stick in the cockpit.
The other thing I always thought was odd, was, I could be getting a constant 58FPS (See below) and the -in game- stick looked like it was suffering from FPS woes. ??? I don't get it, I just put it down to something weird going on in the game.

Once upon a time I had a similar issue with ArmA2. The problem I discovered was the soundcard I had.
I was using an EMU-1616M at the time for other things and the game did not like it one little bit. Every other game played nicely, but not ArmA2.
I would disable it in controlpanel and enable the Onboard audio, this solved the problem. Worth a go if you're using a soundcard I suppose. It's simple and reversable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capwn View Post
the large following of users who swear by V-Sync; the mouse/input delay caused by V-Sync makes me go insane.
You know, this doesn't have to be the case. You can have vsync on, and no mouse/input lag from any device on any game.
Cap your framerate 1 or 2 frames below the Vsync refresh rate and you will never EVER have this problem again.
No screen tearing and a wonderfully precise controller too!
Yes, this also negates input lag from Joysticks/Throttles/Rudder pedals etc.

You're welcome!

Last edited by Hippy Druid; 07-01-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: More info required.! :D
Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Approved Member

How are you capping your framerate?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Approved Member

I use a program called Dxtory.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Druid View Post
Is there a USB hub involved anywhere here?
Once upon a time I had a similar issue with ArmA2. The problem I discovered was the soundcard I had.
I was using an EMU-1616M at the time for other things and the game did not like it one little bit. Every other game played nicely, but not ArmA2.
I would disable it in controlpanel and enable the Onboard audio, this solved the problem. Worth a go if you're using a soundcard I suppose. It's simple and reversable.

You know, this doesn't have to be the case. You can have vsync on, and no mouse/input lag from any device on any game.
Cap your framerate 1 or 2 frames below the Vsync refresh rate and you will never EVER have this problem again.
No screen tearing and a wonderfully precise controller too!
Yes, this also negates input lag from Joysticks/Throttles/Rudder pedals etc.

You're welcome!
Thank you for taking the time to address some of my issues listed!

I am not using any USB hub of any kind, and on my testing across different systems I made sure to have the least possible amount of devices present to have as fair of a comparison test as possible.

I am using a ProFire610 on my main system, but on all the other test systems were using onboard audio (I've also for kicks tried only using onboard on my main system with no changes).

That is a good tip regarding v-sync, although I don't use v-sync myself for a few reasons. The main one being that with a 120hz screen there is no tearing and if I ever have weird fluctuation issues in a game, I generally use just a frame cap.

Also, the issue I was running into was what you stated,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Druid View Post
I was a bit concerned the first time I fired up Clod, the joystick animation seemed slightly out of sync with my movements, however the movements of the ailerons/rudder were perfect.
although I am seeing the slightly out of sync joystick movement correlate with the plane's movement. If I can get ahold of a friends camera I'll try to record a video with my joystick in frame.

jayrc you can try MSI Afterburner's fps limiter.

Edit: I just noticed you have an nVidia card, I haven't used one in a while but I believe there is a fps limiter built into the driver software now? Maybe someone here can verify that

Last edited by Al Capwn; 07-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

So, I disabled in game antialiasing yesterday and played for a while, and after doing so, I noticed I didn't have any more fire button sticking in game. Perhaps, if you have AA enabled in game, you could disable it and see what happens.