Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
I've just started playing the game....and i'm a 95% offline dude. The campaign is too short and not immersive at all. You get I think 5-6 missions in the 109 before being forced to switch a/c (where I'm at right now). basically the 5-6 missions cover the entire Campagine...which is just ludicrous if you have any concept of what WW2 flight sim campaign/carrer mode has been in the past. This Simulation is severly lacking in the offline componet. Remember Original IL-2 were campaigns were 40 or more missions? I certainly do....I guess my memory is better than the dude who made this sim.

But wait theres more.....

The Campaign would be at LEAST poor vice atrocious if it were for the fact that you get no cirtical info in the briefs leading up to the mission (at least on 100% realism). They tell you to rendzous with bombers...but dont give you a place time to do so.... and they dont fly overhead like in org. IL-2. Kind of hard to know where to go when they dont tell you that. one mission had me do a fighter sweep for some JU-87's...but the air feild they are attacking ...isnt even on map!?!? The missions have historical significance...but thats about it. You fail a mission ...and move on...even if you die!?! you can always replay them....which I did about 15 times on the first mission until I realized its pretty much scripted to fail to "teach you some history".

I"m new...have read a bit around...but have not looked into campaign MODs and the such that may be out there. So their might be hope...the mission builder looks pretty good, the overall graphics and damage model are great IMHO. The flight models need tweaking...but i'm no expert that area...i'm a pilot ..not and engineer.

Overall as an Offline player, besides the oohs and awhs of the graphics and options for customizing your crate, am very disapointed. I hear the British campaign is even worst....dont know if i can stomach wasting more of my time.
There are a lot of home made campaigns, hunt about here and you'll find a link somewhere. I remember seeing a thread where they are all pooled.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
I've just started playing the game....and i'm a 95% offline dude. The campaign is too short and not immersive at all. You get I think 5-6 missions in the 109 before being forced to switch a/c (where I'm at right now). basically the 5-6 missions cover the entire Campagine...which is just ludicrous if you have any concept of what WW2 flight sim campaign/carrer mode has been in the past. This Simulation is severly lacking in the offline componet. Remember Original IL-2 were campaigns were 40 or more missions? I certainly do....I guess my memory is better than the dude who made this sim.

But wait theres more.....

The Campaign would be at LEAST poor vice atrocious if it were for the fact that you get no cirtical info in the briefs leading up to the mission (at least on 100% realism). They tell you to rendzous with bombers...but dont give you a place time to do so.... and they dont fly overhead like in org. IL-2. Kind of hard to know where to go when they dont tell you that. one mission had me do a fighter sweep for some JU-87's...but the air feild they are attacking ...isnt even on map!?!? The missions have historical significance...but thats about it. You fail a mission ...and move on...even if you die!?! you can always replay them....which I did about 15 times on the first mission until I realized its pretty much scripted to fail to "teach you some history".

I"m new...have read a bit around...but have not looked into campaign MODs and the such that may be out there. So their might be hope...the mission builder looks pretty good, the overall graphics and damage model are great IMHO. The flight models need tweaking...but i'm no expert that area...i'm a pilot ..not and engineer.

Overall as an Offline player, besides the oohs and awhs of the graphics and options for customizing your crate, am very disapointed. I hear the British campaign is even worst....dont know if i can stomach wasting more of my time.

for user created campaigns look here
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/...gns?Itemid=241

most campaigns made tend to be 20-30 missions long
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Approved Member

I have a Phenom 2 965 3.4 quad and 8gig ram and it runs fine with mainly high settings but there are micro pauses which need addressing. The biggest thing is graphics cards, you realy need something with at least 1.5 gig V/ram. I'm running 2x gts 450's 1gb in Sli and am happy with fps (40--60 over land).

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafireliv View Post
....I would like a truthful as possible appreciation of the game please. Thanks.
The game airplane graphics, ground object graphics, damage detail, damage model, underlying programming language that a (sophisticated) user can directly access and program, the "hidden potential" (= things that are not yet available to users) is mind blowing!

Now the "less good" news:
1. You need massive HW to make it run and enjoy the graphics. At least Quad-core CPU, Win7-64bit, 6-12Gb RAM (to make RAMDRIVE), and a ...graphics card!
The last one is a bit of a problem because the graphics card to play this game has not hit the market yet. The top of the range ATI & NV cards today do some good work but simply said, they are not there yet. Hopefully in September 2012 we will see the new top of the range NV GPU being able to handle the game but this is only speculation!

2. SLI does not "really" work. I does work but, you do not want it the way it does work...

3. "Three monitor view" does not work

4. AI control commands do not really work. This is the biggest turn off if you play offline

5. Enemy AI reactions leave a lot to be wished for

6. Some airplane flight models have some obscure performance variances from the historical "facts" and there is very litle transparency (there is no il2compare available)

7. Some bombers (HE111, JU8 have bugs in the handling of course-autopilot (JU8 or bombsight (HE111) and this makes level-bombing impractical.

8.-99. other minor things

100.-200. minor discussions on the quality of the fuel (see wikipedia for the word octanes) and the magical improvement it can bring to the performace of an airplane
[Athos runs for cover....]

~S~

Disclamer and small print: This is a personal view as requested by a fellow user and not a basis for discussion. So, if anybody has problems regarding ranking and priorities, sort it out among yourselves or look for answers in BlackSix's posts
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

I must have massive hardware then...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

I had a Nvidia Geforce 4600 ti that was released after il2.

It was considered one of the great graphics cards ever created and was top of the line.

It could not run il2 at respectable frame rates imho (30-40fps)...didnt stop me from loving the sim though.

My brand new $2000 pc(not including gpu) was in many ways rendered obsolete as well, it was a P4 1.8 512 memory

Cliffs of Dover performance wise does run better on current hardware and maybe the patch will fix that but its more likely that the gpu to run CoD at MAX is not invented yet.
ASUS Sabertooth MB--Intel 2600k@4.7--EVGA GTX580 3GB--Corasir 1200 watt psu--Corsair 16gb 1866--Corsair H70 cooler--Corsair 650d case--OCZ Vertex 3--Track IR5--CH Eclipse Yoke--CH Trottle Quadrant--CH MFP--CH Rudders-MSFF2

Last edited by ATAG_MajorBorris; 06-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Approved Member

If you are a 46 fan....HSFX 6.0!!!!!!!! ...You can't go wrong
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

Roger that, if you are an IL-2 fanatic then this game will suit you as it's fundamentally the same game. But if you are looking for something new, more "realistic", then you are better off somewhere else.