Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Im sorry Bliss but unless you have flown IL2 1946 CooP missions from the Hyperlobby it will never make sense to anyone.

I'm confident that the ability to run 1946-style coops (simultaneous start, no respawns, etc) is there. I feel like we just have to learn how to script the mission that way.

Last edited by CaptainDoggles; 05-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
We've been through this Alpha. I've flown plenty of em. I've used HL for years. If you read what I said (what you even quoted) you'd see why I loved HL.

But the real war never started at the same time, both sides never knew exactly where the other team was. That's what happens when you start a COOP. You fly and meet in the middle. A dynamic setting is one in which anything can happen at any time. We fly coops inside of this type of situation on coms on a daily basis.
Lets not get started on whats "best" we all are different and prefer different mission types.

Having both is "best"

Agreed on the HY idea though.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Approved Member

can i get on comms with you guys sometime Bliss? maybe we can discuss exaclty what the problem is and get it sorted.I enjoy ATAG servers and consider them the best so far.In fact if anyone who has a server and needs help with HL we can start here.

BH_woodstock
HYPER/STAFF

amd dual core 5400+
6gb ram
gtx460
win7 ultimate
trackir
ms sw ff2

Last edited by BH_woodstock; 05-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

like i said before,it does not have to be hyperlobby.But we DO need something. Just think how much work can be accomplished with the "Devs" and the hole community if we had a place we can work from in REAL TIME.

that is just 1 thing, there are many other to consider.

BH_woodstock
HYPER/STAFF

amd dual core 5400+
6gb ram
gtx460
win7 ultimate
trackir
ms sw ff2
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
That's what happens when you start a COOP. You fly and meet in the middle.
And that was the secret for the COOP's. unlike dogfight matches and the new "coops", we knew that we were goign to fly, take a 10 min flight a 20 min fight and get back to base. And we loved it. the fact everyone was timed ensured massive fights would happen, every single time.

trust me, being dynamic is cool and i like it too. but sometimes i just want the borigness of knowing i'm having a fight

Oh, and about coop, it was a nice tool to be able too see what was going on without having too start the game. It was the easiest way to recruit members from squad, and get help with game problems. Having a Chat inside COD wont do, because when i launch COD, im going in to play, but when i launch HL im just keeping it there for the company, and help out if one needs it.

Last edited by pupo162; 05-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
We've been through this Alpha. I've flown plenty of em. I've used HL for years. If you read what I said (what you even quoted) you'd see why I loved HL.

But the real war never started at the same time, both sides never knew exactly where the other team was. That's what happens when you start a COOP. You fly and meet in the middle. A dynamic setting is one in which anything can happen at any time. We fly coops inside of this type of situation on coms on a daily basis.
Thats the basic difference between CooP fliers and DF server fliers.

There should be the option for both modes as just as many pilots dont like DF as those that dont like CooP.

Whats stopping the switch over for many is no simple makes sense click n fly CooP mode.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Approved Member

if it was not for steam dropping the servers I think there would be more confidence with people using Hyperlobby.Has there been any progress in steams commitment to Cliffs of Dover support?How long has it been since the servers have been down?
I dont see Dover ever getting Global chat.And with all the problems we have it would sure help.that is the most important thing.If it had Global chat i would have had my game dialed in a long time ago and would be flying every single night and have a squad going by now.The numbers we see online would be tenfold
Yes hyperlobby may be old but there is a saying where i come from
"If it aint broke.....dont fix it"

And it has been updated to support Dover.

BH_woodstock
HYPER/STAFF

amd dual core 5400+
6gb ram
gtx460
win7 ultimate
trackir
ms sw ff2

Last edited by BH_woodstock; 05-15-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

The lack of chat is a big issue.

The lack of CO-OPs is a killer.

I really hope they look in to the latter at the very least.

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.20GHz
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Z68
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 2x4GB DDR3 PC3-1280
Intel 510 ElmCrest SSD 120GB
GeForce GTX 580 3072MB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair Hydro H80 CPU Cooler
Silverstone Fortress 2
Hazro HZ27WA 27" 2560x1440
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH_woodstock View Post
can i get on comms with you guys sometime Bliss? maybe we can discuss exaclty what the problem is and get it sorted.I enjoy ATAG servers and consider them the best so far.In fact if anyone who has a server and needs help with HL we can start here.

BH_woodstock
HYPER/STAFF

amd dual core 5400+
6gb ram
gtx460
win7 ultimate
trackir
ms sw ff2
Getting on coms would be great. They're public so get on anytime you like.

As far as the problems, there are a few. If someone, while joining a server, breaks the connection or times out for any reason, there's a good chance they won't be able to join that server and will be left with a screen that has a "user failed authentication error". Basically the server thinks that the player is connected when they really aren't. So their steam id is locked out of the server until it is restarted. There is no way around the issue. We can not kick the player as they don't show up in the server list. So the only option, again, is a launcher.exe (server) restart.

Because of this we've tailored our missions (with a red/blue/or time limit win) to restart the server. This is why you can look at servers in the server list that show players (a number count) but when clicking on them actually have 0 players in them.

On top of this, servers connect to steam as a client right now. So instead of streaming data to a steam browser to make the game show up in a server list somewhere on steam, the server client also has to authenticate with steam. Because of this, when steam is performing maintenance or has a network problem, even for a split second, the client is disconnected and thus the server is disconnected.

Other steam servers for other games DO NOT work this way. Steam can be down for maintenance and the server software will always run. Obviously it will lose connection to the steam browser, but the only consequence of this is the server will obviously not be showing up in a steam browser, but it will continue to run.

Because of all of the above, our commander will catch all disconnect errors (I believe there's 3 different types), will automatically close the error window, shut down the server, restart the server on to the next mission, and go along on it's happy way until steam does the same thing again.

My point with HL is it will add a whole 'nother monkey wrench into the already complicated code to keep the server up without just being able to implement it into the commander itself. Because obviously when steam disconnects, so will HL, and so forth and so on. So to keep that daisy a float, it would be much easier to implement HL right into the commander in the 1st place.

Colander is the genius who's made our commander and would be the guy to talk to. I'm still just a lowly mission builder. He's a RL programmer. But I think our goal, once the commander is all sorted out (Colander has finished doing all the stuff he wants to it - and boy does he have some good ideas, scripts, stats, objectives, all done in a map generated by a .mis file) I'm pretty sure we'll be releasing it to the public. But up until this point, like many others, we're waiting on some of the base code to get sorted out in the sim. That way all the work that's been done on it isn't all for naught.

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Approved Member

so pretty much what is needed at this point to continue is a stable steam from what i understand.Does it still drop servers that often?

I wonder if any people from CloD (Devs or whatever) complained about this to steam?NO game in history will ever have a chance with a problem like this.This needs to be addressed.

BH_woodstock
HYPER/STAFF

amd dual core 5400+
6gb ram
gtx460
win7 ultimate
trackir
ms sw ff2