Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Its not a 100 octane discussion thread.

Stay on topic .
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

I'd say there wouldn't be much point to it at all.

19 squadron themselves reverted back to the Ia from the 'experimental' Ib pretty darn quickly, even though they had to accept some pretty weary Ias that came I think from an OCU.

Nope, far more issues to address than this very minor thing.

Has anyone mentioned that (visually at least), none of the Spits have metal skinned ailerons? These only came about post November 1940 and have about as much importance to the current game as having the true Ibs supplied to 92 squadron around the same time.

Operable nav and landing lights, now I'd welcome those.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
I
Has anyone mentioned that (visually at least), none of the Spits have metal skinned ailerons? These only came about post November 1940 and have about as much importance to the current game as having the true Ibs supplied to 92 squadron around the same time.
Metal ailerons actually didn't come until much later, in may '41.

92 squadrons cannon armed spits, were IIb's, and i believe in dec '40.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Hiya Fruitbat.

I'm quoting from Alfred Price there with the Ibs mate. Also the crash field conversion to metal ailerons from Nov '40 on. Maybe they weren't standard factory fitment until May or summat.

But I've no intention of posting reams of documents, or of having a protracted debate. I'd rather bow to your superior knowledge!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
Hiya Fruitbat.

I'm quoting from Alfred Price there with the Ibs mate. Also the crash field conversion to metal ailerons from Nov '40 on. Maybe they weren't standard factory fitment until May or summat.

But I've no intention of posting reams of documents, or of having a protracted debate. I'd rather bow to your superior knowledge!
I originally thought the same as you re the ailerons, from the same source no less! But after reading Morgan and Shacklady's SPITFIRE: THE HISTORY it actually took them a long time to get there arse in gear on this one.

Something I found quite funny about the metal ailerons though from Johnnie Johnsons book,

Despite the fact that they were being fitted to Mk V's, 616 Squadron (ie Bader) decided that they wanted to have them on there Spit MkII's and dealt directly with the factory and signed the bits of paper put in front of them.

About a year later, Johnnie Johnson got an official letter, requiring an explanation as to why and who had authorised this, he replied that perhaps Bader might know (he was PoW by now)!

Re the spits IIb's, If you haven't read it yet, read Johnnie Kents book if you get the chance, goes into this in detail on this as he was CO at the time, and very much the leading voice in wanting this 'new' b wing. Good book.

Last edited by fruitbat; 04-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
If you haven't read it yet, read Johnnie Kents book if you get the chance, goes into this in detail on this as he was CO at the time, and very much the leading voice in wanting this 'new' b wing. Good book.
Excellent book, and it's on my shelf. Been a while since I read it though so thanks for the prod!
I'm just finishing Arthur Harris' 'Bomber Offensive' at the mo.
Love Johnny Kent's tales of home built 'planes and sneaking engines into Canada from the US, and all the test pilot stuff too.

So anyway, no need for cannons on Spits in 'Cliffs' then!!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

I'm all for historical accuracy in aircraft performance, even if that puts one side at a disadvantage. There are several aircraft types/models (including the Spit Mk1b) of the period that could be added to a BOB scenario on both sides. I look forward to the day when the modders can work their magic and introduce these aircraft types to the game.

Get the latest COD Team Fusion patch info HERE
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

I'd rather have a flyable Defiant or Gladiator.

Or...

Or...

Or...

Lots of aircraft that would help the sim more than a 1b.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

What's the point of the thread? To get an idea if red flyers are the type that just want game advantage?

No. But I'd be happy to have it as long as the cannons jammed randomly, but I wouldn't fly it and see it as big a waste of developer resource as 'heartbreaker'.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Approved Member

Id be happy if we can have the loadouts that were used frequently in any aircraft.

I would appreciate anything that is purely historical no matter if guns jam or bombs and torpedos are duds.