Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
I do and I don't understand how anyone can create an engine that doesn't support it properly. CloD was released 2011 and not 2001.
You missed the initial post? Like I said, Star Wars the Old Republic one of the most hyped and expensive games has ever been done with a budget that is probably about 100 times bigger than CloD. It was released in december 2011, without working AA, and it's still not working but the devs "are working on it for a patch real soon, like in two weeks"
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

There is AA in SWTOR now and worked fine from launch for me when i forced aa from ati CCC, with nvidia you can force it from INI file, but no need anymore there is ingame aa settings too.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

Ok, here we go with some 3d history that can help you to understand the state in the 3d industry about AA.

AA was introduced some years ago in the fixed pipeline as a hardware/driver feature, so developers just needed to tell the GPU to activate it and the GPU did all the work. You even could activate or deactivate it from your GPU driver configuration. That is how fixed pipeline engines worked and still works. Of course in fixed pipeline engines developers are limited to what drivers and hardware can do (no great fX or effects, only common and standard things). Now we have non fixed pipeline engines, wich works with shaders, where developers can (and have to!) control all about the rendering process, which is extremely more complicated and time consuming, but we can have bump mapping, nice reflections and plenty of other nice FX, only limited by imagination, hardware processing time and time to develop and optimice it. Important thing is that now all is coded by developers, including AA. In this kind of egines AA is no more automatic and need to be manually coded as post process filter over the whole image. Thats why even if you turn on AA in drivers configuration in no fixed pipeline engines it do nothing. Hardware do no calculate it automatically anymore, not AA, not anything. Coding AA filter shader is not easy if you want it to be efficient and not blurring all the image. You need to identificate manually all edges and so on... So give devs a break, things are not easy anymore as we ask for more fx and eyecandy. It can be done, but need time if you also want a lot of fps.
GTX 560

Last edited by Ailantd; 02-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Approved Member

Thank you for the info, Ailantd.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, deferred rendering has made the formerly easy step of adding AA very difficult.

And that is why you see tons of modern games that lack support for AA entirely - games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, Dead Space, Mass Effect.

It is hardly a problem unique to cod.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Approved Member

you did use one word that in the 40s may of been classed as swearing .

this place is a joke lol
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Approved Member

Anyway if you are able to use FSAA ( Fixed pipeline AA ) it will crop your FPS a 20% or 30%, making the game unplayable in some systems, because is a hardware demanding AA technique.

Even so Luthier said that it will be implemented but guess that it will not very soon, remember that they are currently rewriting the graphic engine so it needs get working before add things.

You guys should try until then my post-process SMAA configuration :

It is not perfect so you will see some jaggies here and there under some circumstances but have no frame rate impact at all and does a high quality AA without blurring everything.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...99&postcount=5

Last edited by Buchon; 02-04-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

I just tried it. It's not bad. Thanks.

I was using the FXAA, but online is not that good, because it blurs all the dots. It's hard already to spot planes at longer ranges and that post processing blurs the dots too much. So I wasn't using it online.

Yours looks like it should work online. It still has some jaggies here and there, but it's way better then nothing.

This thread was simply bait for the mods to have a field day with the "corrective actions". It's obvious people would argue about this. Just because some game on this entire market was released without working AA, it doesn't makes it right.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit

Last edited by Jaws2002; 02-05-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
Yeah, deferred rendering has made the formerly easy step of adding AA very difficult.

And that is why you see tons of modern games that lack support for AA entirely - games like Crysis, Battlefield 3, Dead Space, Mass Effect.

It is hardly a problem unique to cod.
Crysis had AA implemented but not AF . Don´t know about Crysis 2 though, haven´t played it in a while . To me AF is more important than AA, because i got the feeling that with TFTs, AA got more and more useless, especially with very high dpi. AF on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
The devs need to continue to tweak the FM balance until there is equal amount of whining from both sides.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

In the past when I was using AA I had to reduce my resolution in order to improve my dot visiblity to a useable level.

Now that I've disabled my AA setting I can actually see the dots at the full native resolution of my monitor (1680x 1050).

My understanding of AA is that it works by blending the colours found in adjacent pixels (by a variety of methods). This is bad for seeing fine detail in the images.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 02-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Closed Thread