Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Have you got the gun sight on? If the reticle is blue then it's only a reflection using ambient light you need to turn the bulb on with ALT + L.
No i never had the gun sight on

Thanks for the tip
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Default Online advice

I fly the 109 a lot and I can tell you that if you just get five or six rounds in the plane you can seriously damage it. The trick is to make more then one pass. Any damage to the 109, no matter how minor it seems, does serious damage to the 109's flight characteristics but, you have to give them time to take effect. Any hits to the wings will either puncture the water radiator or break the water hose. If that happens the pilot will probably open rads all the way to make use of only one radiator. Once he's wounded he can't turn and he can't outrun you unless he can shake you using negative G's or a really steep dive. If you are in a Spit Ia or a Huri(Rotol), you will finish him. I wouldn't even worry about getting a pilot kill because you don't really need one, unless he's close to base. I wouldn't bother with AP ammo in that respect because you don't really need it for the 109. Its pretty soft everywhere, with the exception of the pilot's rear armor. Just shoot the wings, load all incendiary and tracer (Boetchtung or W/E if you have it) One tracer for every 4-5 incendiary. Its just like a shark with a little seal pup. They charge in and bite the seal and then wave off to let it bleed out. The 109 is so easy to kill, but you have to wait for the damage to take effect.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

With regards to the water radiators...

I don't think it's a bug.

Getting a hole in the radiator means one thing: a coolant leak. That's far from an instant kill and it's not really unrealistic.

As long as you have enough coolant in the lines (check the pressure gauges to get an idea), the engine will keep running.

The more you push the engine, the more heat the cooling system needs to absorb. In other words and roughly speaking, a higher rate of coolant circulation from the engine to the radiator and back---> more cycles per minute of coolant passing from the leaking area---> faster leaking.

If on the other hand you disengage and try to fly back home on conservative settings, you can usually make it before you run out of coolant.

I've had this tested on many occasions when flying QMB missions against the AI. Radiator damage will bring you down, but it's not an instant kill. You need to get to the point where the coolant quantity is too low to keep the engine cool.

I've had this happen to me with every kind of water cooled aircraft in the sim, 109s, 110, Hurris and Spits, so it's definitely working and it's definitely not restricted to a specific type of aircraft.

I had the same thoughts as everyone else initially (that it's bugged), so i just decided to set the course autopilot on my 110 to fly straight and level and engage time acceleration. Well, not long after the coolant was completely depleted and the engine was cooked.

I then experimented with other aircraft whenever i got a damaged rad and it turns our that as long as you keep pushing the engine and leaking coolant, you'll get an engine seizure sooner or later.